Airguns as preps

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by plumberroy, Apr 25, 2021.

1. plumberroy

plumberroy Monkey+

I have 7 air rifles and 3 air pistols all but one air pistol is capable of taking small game.

2. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I was thinking about getting an air rifle for small game.

3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Do it ,,, you will not be sorry you did ,, as long as you get a fairly decent one.

4. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

My bro was lights out with his Sheridan growing up. Squirrels had no chance.

Oddcaliber, SB21, mysterymet and 2 others like this.
  5. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

I just bought a third air rifle recently. Crossman Vantage .22 caliber. It could feed us with small game and pellets are still relatively cheap. But climbing fast. And check availability. They get scarce once in a while nowadays. If you find them, don't hesitate to buy.

Oddcaliber and SB21 like this.
  6. plumberroy

plumberroy Monkey+

My latest springer launching a .177 7.9 grain pellet at 1073 fps average 20.2 ft lbs of energy

7. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

It's hard for me to go with the manufacturers specs. But I do know my .22 is plenty accurate and punchy.

Oddcaliber likes this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Careful, it can become an addiction that there is no cure for.
    I have 27 different air/Co2 guns and there are a few more Id like to have.
    Seriously thinking about the Benjamine Marauder in .45 cal

9. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I use green gas blowback pistols to practice for USPSA matches. I have one in 1911 and one in 2011 with a c-more sight to match my open gun. Thinking about getting a revolver.

10. plumberroy

plumberroy Monkey+

Most manufactures give specs speeds are based on alloy pellets that can actually damage spring powered guns. The above mentioned gun gives 1300 fps my feet per second numbers. My numbers are 7.9 grain lead pellets
    1073 for 7.9 grains pellets
    967 for 10.5 grain pellets
    669 for 16.1 grain pellets

Oddcaliber, Mountainman and madmax like this.
  11. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Have an air rifle for squirrels works great.

12. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I've shot everything from ground squirrels up to and including Jackrabbits with air rifles.
    I've had an RWS Diana .22 cal with a low powered scope for about 20 years and it still works well.
    Impressive, they're not toy BB guns.

Mountainman likes this.
  13. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Wife and I use .177 cal. 10 shot repeating rifles rated at 1300 fps for ground squirrels around the out buildings. Use those instead of 22's because they are safer in case of a ricochet.

14. Grizz12

Grizz12 Monkey

Better than nothing

15. plumberroy

plumberroy Monkey+

This is about 13500 pellets I have another 2000 around . The middle gun I have had the longest . RWS 34 in 177 it shoots an honest 910 feet per second and I have taken several raccoon and groundhog with it. The top 4 guns are capable of taking game up to raccoon size animals IMG_20210411_125624__01. IMG_20210328_135536.

GOG, Gator 45/70, damoc and 1 other person like this.
  16. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Wife and I shoot the Gamo Swarm Maxxim with 3x9 scopes. Only thing I don't like is the safety in the trigger guard.
    Gamo Swarm Maxxim.

17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have the usually boring 177s. Air guns don't start to get interesting until you get to 25 cal and bigger.
    The 25 cal spring air one I have can easily duplicate the muzzel energy of a 22cb.
    I have seen 30 cal one that can exceed 22lr power, but those ones use an air tank.

18. plumberroy

plumberroy Monkey+

You can get into big game power with PCP air guns but you also get into bigger money . In. True SHTF situation big game will be hunted out quickly. Small game and small fish will be what feeds you . .177 pellets are the most common followed by 22 pellets both are enough for small game. I try to stay with stuff that I can buy locally . Crosman premier pellets shoot decent in all my guns are $6-$8 for 500 locally. Where 20 caliber pellets have to be ordered and are running $17 for 500 the gun below is 177 it shoots 7.9 standard lead pellets at 1073 feet per second average generating 20.2 foot lbs of energy it may pick up a few feet per second when fully broken in IMG_20210419_212336__01.

19. damoc

damoc Monkey+++

More than any other my air rifle has been used to defend the homestead from pack rat, ground squirrel even skunk. I for sure think they have a place in the preps quiet, effective and inexpensive to use and that is without getting into some of the super high performance models which I would love to try out.

20. plumberroy

plumberroy Monkey+

The gun above is a Walther Parrus in .177 right now it can be found for $149.95 + tax at pyramid air order a tin of pellets and it ships for free German made decent trigger right out of the box. Be warned magnum airgun aren't light it weighs 9lbs
    Numrich gun parts has RMS model 34 for $199 or the model 350 for $249 that is dirt cheap for those guns although about the only thing you gain on the walther buying the #350 is a wooden stock

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    damoc likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7