"Alaskan wood stove" double barrel fun

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by DKR, Dec 15, 2019.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

When I first saw one of these at a ski lodge in Spokane WA I was told it was called an "Alaska" wood stove - made for heating.
    [​IMG]
    And it did a very good job. Nowadays the top barrel is a 'secondary combustion chamber' and is considered high tech.

There are kits sold on line for use with 55 gal steel drums
    or you can wing it

This guy has a huge YT channel with English and Spanish.versions of his how to videos.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  2. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

something not available from the kit companies is any kind of inside grating to keep the fire directly off the bottom of the barrel ...
    if you get a chance to salvage gas BBQ grills - the cast iron grill plates are perfect for this particular task - also great for fire pits or improvised DIY charcoal BBQ grills ...

chelloveck, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Used one of those in my shop years ago . You used to be able to buy the parts kit from Northern Tool .

chelloveck, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Pro tip here, FOr those handy with welding, you will really boost the heating performance by adding steel all over both the barrels, I did one for my large shop, I welded a bunch of steel angle iron pieces ( recycled bed frames) all around the barrels which makes for a lot more surface area as well as "Fins" to further add area to spread the heat! Worked out very well!
    A better Barrel is to use Old Propane tanks as they are smooth inside and out, so it's easier to work with and they are generally much thicker steel which will add to the life of the units! Last tip is to build up the bottom of the burner with fire brick and mortor, not only to add to the heating capabilities, but to make clean outs easier! You can also add to the heating further by having "Kinks" or bends in the chimney pipe!

3M-TA3, chelloveck, DKR and 4 others like this.
  5. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Gator 45/70, tacmotusn and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. Out in the woods

Out in the woods off-grid in-the-forest beekeeper

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. Out in the woods

Out in the woods off-grid in-the-forest beekeeper

We heat our home with a Vogelzang double-barrel woodstove. Our upper drum has 50' of 3/4" copper tubing coils in it, that we circulate water through, that circulates to a thermal-bank, which then circulates through our radiant heated flooring.

This is the best stove we have ever used.

When we first started, people told us the drums would burn-out after one year. We are going on 13 years now with the same two barrels.

BlueDuck, chelloveck, SB21 and 4 others like this.
  8. sdr

sdr Monkey++

Pics pics pics.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Friend of mine had one of those in his basement in the mid 1980s. It would easily heat the entire 2000+ sq ft house...just leave the basement door open and run a couple box fans to circulate.

chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. I saw one that had a removable head drum on top. Guy used it to smoke anything that would fit inside.

3cyl likes this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

A dog leg configuration on the stove pipe will improve any wood stove .

SB21 and 3cyl like this.
  12. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

First time I have heard about any bend helping. I have heard of using aluminum fins strapped on the pipe to help. I have no experience with this though. I wonder what the code cops think of these stoves? I bet it wouldn't pass. Yeah, I know.

3cyl likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7