Amazon US customers have one week to opt out of mass wireless sharing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OldDude49, Jun 8, 2021.

1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

Amazon customers have one week to opt out of a plan that would turn every Echo speaker and Ring security camera in the US into a shared wireless network, as part of the company’s plan to fix connection problems for its smart home devices.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...-one-week-to-opt-out-of-mass-wireless-sharing

# Amazon is about to share your Internet connection with neighbors. Here’s how to turn it off.

Amazon is about to share your Internet connection with neighbors. Here’s how to turn it off.

2. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Ok that is creepy as hell.

SB21 likes this.
  3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Welcome to the CCP.

mysterymet and SB21 like this.
  4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Despicable. Many of your ISP's like xfiniti will do the same thing turning your wireless router into a hot spot for other customers. That's why I own and manage all equipment from the demark out. That way they have no access or control other than the ability to turn me off.

Nothing lives on my network that can't be confined to my network. Ring is legendary for violating the privacy of their customers, so none of their crap crosses my threshold. Echo, etc., you gotta be kidding me. All these devices require access to a manufacturer cloud so that alone is a big DQ.

You wanna doorbell? Get Amcrest (better and cheaper) and integrate to to a free one camera instance of Blue Iris. Use Home Assistant to send alerts to your cell phone. No vendor cloud or monthly fees needed, and you can lock it down so it can't narc you out.

I am going to do some smart home integrations, but nobody's pre-packaged stuff, and nothing that can interact with anything else. Will be using Home Assistant for multiple reasons, not the least of which being I control what it can and can't talk to.

mysterymet, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

What? The tech monopolies want to spy on us like overlords? Thats crazy. Looks like Bezos will be on the very first Virgin Galactic manned flight. I sure hope it doesn't crash...

oldawg, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]

guess what book was published today in 1949?

7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I use trail cameras. They are too dumb to narc or be hacked.

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

That would depend on the model and brand of the TrailCam…

Gator 45/70 and Merkun like this.
  9. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Same here , SD card only and hidden , 35 cameras are all over , some live and wired into a main box that's off line. I watch the pads , fuel depot and all the out buildings , All I have at the ranch incoming driveway is "Smile for the Camera "
    Covered!
    Sloth

enloopious and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

My security system has four legs and big teeth.

11. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Same but 8 legs here , Big girl has treed bears , taken down 4 deer (2 bucks) many bandit cats , cats,rabbits ,, New girl 1.5 yo has just got her first rabbit and lizard .
    S

Gator 45/70 and hot diggity like this.
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I made sure I bough the dumb ones.

13. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

14. sidforbrains

sidforbrains Spring Loaded Monkey

Retired now, I took my printer/scanner out of moth balls and plugged it into my pc. I needed to send disability forms to my lawyer. Upon reintroducing the printer to my pc, the machine would not let me scan to my pc, it insisted I send it to a "cloud". Why? I tried for quite a while to no avail, so I took the machine for a walk, ventilated it several times, cleaned up my mess and sent the lawyer snail mail...epson

Rocky Road Lerp likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7