Ammo cans, where do you get yours?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Oddcaliber, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Stopped by Walmart because my GF is on another toy hunt. Picked up another ammo can for my growing supply. Do have US GI,and Academy brand as well. So,who do you get yours from?

sec_monkey, oldman11 and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

3. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Tractor Supply has great prices.

sec_monkey, Oddcaliber and oldman11 like this.
  4. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Knob Creek Range

5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Harbor Freight tools carries the Generic brand of MTM in all the popular sizes and even some of the odd balls like .338 LM! I order them from the on line and pick up in store where they give 10% Vet discount on instore purchases!
    Coastal Farm and Ranch is another good source, they make a neat-0 pelican type .30 cal and .50 cal ammo cans with rubber lip seals, if you don't mind safety orange, they are cheap too!
    West Marine supply is another source for the orange ones, which also float,( Except when loaded with ammo) but they are a bit pricy, still, when ya gotta have it, they are a good source!

6. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

I buy mine at wal mart
    [flag]

Thunder5Ranch and Oddcaliber like this.
  7. hot diggity

These things take up lots of space empty, but you can save some space by nesting them when possible. It appears to be a little late to buy them cheap, :eek: but this will help you stack 'em deep.

upload_2019-4-26_21-22-31.

oldman11, GOG, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

| Sportsman's Guide

and others as prices vary with supply

30 cal can go for as little as 4 bucks, buy enough and they pay shipping.

oldman11, sec_monkey and Oddcaliber like this.
  9. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Gun shows, pay cash. About as anonymous as it's possible.

oldman11, GOG, Alf60 and 2 others like this.
  10. hot diggity

With ammo cans you will be much happier in the future if you cache these with them.
    [​IMG][​IMG]Buy them by the bail at surplus stores when you find them. Usually a buck each in bulk and worth their weight in gold when moving loaded cans.

11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I use rocket cans

oldman11, GOG, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  12. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I pick them up locally whenever I see a good price on them. Found an ad on Letgo from a antique store a couple years ago. Filled the pick up bed with them for 10 bux a pop 50 cal size. Last ones I bought I bought by the pallet from .gov surplus.

oldman11, GOG, Oddcaliber and 3 others like this.
  13. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

Yard sales usually 1.00 or so. Some have come with ammo as well.

GOG, Tully Mars, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  14. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I used to get them at gun shows, but the shows mostly turned to crap so I stopped going.
    Unfortunately I'm finally at the point where I need more, but the prices are crazy for nice ones.
    So I'm shopping around, but it's still gonna' cost some duckets.

15. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

GOG, Gator 45/70 and VisuTrac like this.
  16. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

THAT is a hell'va idea! Thanks! I will definitely get some in the future. I am actually, right now, going to see if Amazon has any.
    Thanks again!

Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I could, once upon a time, buy ammo cans in lots of one or two from the local DRMO. Now that a contractor has the lock - they will only sell by the pallet load.

So, I have to go to the local surplus outlet....

Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  18. gprod55

gprod55 Monkey+++

Oddcaliber and oldman11 like this.
  19. gprod55

gprod55 Monkey+++

I purchase all of mine thru Harbor Freight. When they go on sale for $3.99 each. Ammo stacks in them neatly.

Oddcaliber, oldman11 and Ura-Ki like this.
  20. hot diggity

I found one in shallow water along the Intracoastal Waterway. I was looking for flounder, but couldn't pass up a potentially serviceable ammo can. It was junk, being exposed to salt water, and was full of belted .223 blanks. I really get the impression that 0331 machine gunners don't like getting their SAW's filthy with blank ammo. I've found belts of the stuff in trees while squirrel hunting, and even found a bag full of the stuff that somebody heaved up into the branches. You never know what you might stumble on in the woods around here. Some interesting stuff falls off aircraft, and I know there was an M16 lost in a drop zone by the beach. We put two jumpers in the trees and lost a rifle all in the same day. The whole Company was stomping through the woods on-line searching for it. I wonder if that rifle is still up in a tree?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7