An interesting revolver for preppers

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by GOG, May 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I should probably say for this particular prepper.
    I ordered a 3" Taurus 692 Tracker in .38/.357 and 9mm. It includes a 9mm cylinder that can be changed out by removing one screw. It comes with two moon clips which Taurus calls "stellar clips" for some obscure reason.
    Fair warning if you go this route, stock up on moon clips, they're usually pretty cheap

We consolidated handgun calibers some time back to 9mm and .357 and we're good on nines, light on .357's, so it's a needed backup.
    The utility of a three caliber handgun was greatly appealing.

It's seven rounds and has unfluted cylinders and I will readily admit I like that look on some wheel guns.

They make a 6.5" model, but I think it looks odd and I also don't need or want a range gun. On a practical level, it's a compensated and fully shrouded barrel so I don't expect much difference in recoil from a 4" .357mag K or L Frame.

I ordered it online and it will be a bit before it gets here. So I'm sorry, no pics yet and I'm not sure how to post a link.

Firearms | Taurus USA

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  2. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Open the page you want to link, highlight the contents of the address bar, copy it, and paste it into your post on SM. Even I can do it, so there's no question you can.

Here's one page, Taurus wouldn't let me in.
    Taurus 692 Revolver

3. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Got it, thank you. I've been stumped since I got this tablet for Christmas. :rolleyes:

Sucks to be old sometimes.

4. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Some sharp engineer at Taurus needs to develop an extractor for double action revolvers that will grab rimless cases and extract them without a moon clip. Single action cylinders shoot rimless cases and headspace on the case just fine. Moon clips have been around since WWI and I use them, but unless I'm shooting up these revolvers are pretty useless without them.

I thought I'd seen rimless extraction in a revolver done before. Medusa M-47 had a functional extractor for rimmed and rimless cases in the same cylinder.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    UncleMorgan and GOG like this.
  5. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Like these, been carrying a Taurus .357 since I was 13.

6. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Ah, but it sure beats the alternative.

7. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

You got that right. Vertical & sucking air is my personal preference.

8. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

GOG likes this.
  9. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Why not go with the .327 mag,you can also use 32 auto,.32sw,.32swl and .32hr mag? Plenty of power for rabbits to mean two legged animals.

Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  10. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

prepper site - you can't find .32cal commonly on the shelf now - and when you can it's $$$$ more - you need the right price to stock deep and availability forever ...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

I'm picking up my Taurus 65 today! More traditional 6 shot blue steel 4" fixed sights. Very good gun for the money. A lot of people bash Taurus guns but the QC has come up a lot over the years. Enjoy it!

Gator 45/70 and GOG like this.
  12. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

.32 hr mag is costly but .32sw and .32swl are less than $20.00 when you mail order and less when you reload. .32 acp cost a little more. The really expensive stuff is the .32-20,it’s big bucks.

Gator 45/70, Ganado and GOG like this.
  13. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I've always been fond of the .357 Magnum as a very versatile round and have a deep appreciation for the rounds creation & history.
    So it's been a regular go-to caliber for many years and an old friend.

14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@GOG thanks for posting this I might have to buy one of these. I carry a 38 because the ammo matches my saddle rifle... probably a dumb reason but I hate having more than a couple of types of bullets

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  15. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

@Ganado, that's why we pared down to 9mm & .357 for sidearms.
    I forgot .22lr but that's pretty universal as well as handy.
    Now long guns are a bit different since there are so many variables but even there I've stayed with common calibers. Nothing esoteric and a backup firearm of the same caliber wherever possible.

It may be a bit boring, but I sleep well at night. :)

Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  16. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Hey that's not a bad looking revolver.

17. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

The stainless model was literally only one dollar more, but practical reasons aside I just preferred the look of the black model.

Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  18. I do not know if .38 acp/super (.38 super comp is truly rimless) will headspace or eject from the .357 chambers. It was viable in the Blackhawk revolvers. Would the .38/.357 cylinder allow use of moon/star clips?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Taurus has had some mid-low grade pistols but the revolvers have been much higher quality.

I've had a couple of each come through my hands and wouldn't be hesitant to trust my life to one of their revolvers.

Gator 45/70, GOG and Oddcaliber like this.
  20. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

The Ruger Blackhawk has a different cylinder, one for 38/357,and another one for 9mm. Same thing for one in 45 Colt. Either comes with or Ruger makes one for gun. Had a Blackhawk in 45 Colt with a 45 ACP cylinder.

Gator 45/70, GOG and Zimmy like this.
  1. Oddcaliber
  2. chelloveck
  3. OldDude49
  4. Seacowboys
  5. GOG
  6. Motomom34
  7. chelloveck
  8. Hispeedal2
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7