Another Aussie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Downunder, Oct 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Downunder

Downunder Monkey++

Hi, just joined this forum after browsing for a while.

Located southern NSW in Australia. Not sure if I qualify as a survivalist as I don't believe society here is going to collapse anytime soon, but I have taken out some insurance for myself and my adult children.

That insurance is mainly a rural retreat, in a private location with good permanent water, decent soil, surrounded by larger farming properties or government reserve. 30 minutes from a small town with a wide range of facilities. The retreat is fully off grid. I don't live there, but I visit regularly and it is setup to be a refuge for my immediate family.

I live in paradise. Ocean walking distance one direction, deer filled forest a couple of miles in the other direction. My children are adults and capable, one ex military.

Looking forward to learning and networking here.

2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Welcome aboard mate !

sec_monkey likes this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Welcome to our Monkey Tree...

sec_monkey likes this.
  4. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Happy to have you. We don't mind Aussies at all ( have to say that because my boss is one:)). So feel free to wander about, ask questions, add content if the urge strikes.

sec_monkey and Motomom34 like this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

[welcomeLG]
    We speak OZ on SM. Sometimes.

sec_monkey and Tully Mars like this.
  6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Welcome from the other side of the planet! Sounds like you have made some smart decisions.

sec_monkey likes this.
  7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Welcome to the Monkey!!!!

sec_monkey likes this.
  8. Downunder

Downunder Monkey++

Thanks for the welcome.

Smart decisions, hard work and good fortune. I've always strived towards financial security, always been a keen shooter. It's only the last decade I've been putting away food and other 'preps'.

My current plan is to turn another smaller acreage I recently bought into a largely self sufficient place to retire on.

Motomom34 and GOG like this.
  9. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Welcome. You seem to have thought things through. Glad to have you join us. Our members from Australia add extra zest to our forum.

sec_monkey, Tully Mars and chelloveck like this.
  10. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Welcome from the great State of Jefferson.

sec_monkey likes this.
  11. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Welcome to the Monkey tree!

sec_monkey likes this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Welcome!!!

sec_monkey likes this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Welcome to Survival Monkey.
    I hope you will share some of your plans. Small acreage? 3-5?

14. Downunder

Downunder Monkey++

3 acres. Close enough to the beach to walk, far enough away to not be covered in salt spray. No natural water on this property.

The actual retreat/refuge is 40 acres with 500m river frontage in the high country. Very rare snow, but cold enough to freeze my pipes.

Gator 45/70, chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Then what do you do for water? Is it town water?

16. Downunder

Downunder Monkey++

Once we eventually build there I will use large tanks for collecting rain water from the roof. Most neighbours there have a 110,000l tank. There's no law or fee for collecting rainwater. The govt used to assist with the purchase price of water tanks and local councils require water tanks be included in the building approval application. Electricity is available but I will do a cost/benefit analysis closer to building to see if we go solar.

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  17. Downunder

Downunder Monkey++

18. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Nice looking spot mate !!

sec_monkey likes this.
  19. Downunder

Downunder Monkey++

I've been criticised before for posting pictures of my retreats, mainly by paranoid people with a loose grip on reality. Never caused me a problem before, and it helps to establish my credibility.

So here's a photo taken of my retreat by our drone. As you can see, good river frontage, a cleared fertile area for growing crops or grazing stock, and plenty of hills to run to if ever required. No near neighbours, a reasonable supply of free goat meat.

20901529_10212410597771815_6673267081034722298_o.

20. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Nice.
    I just got an education. Never knew there were hills like that anywhere in Australia. If that river flows year 'round you shouldn't require a well, just some filtering and sanitizing. BT uses UV treatment to kill bugs prevalent in surface water. That avoids the use of chemicals.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  1. AgentPickle
  2. CaptainCalamity
  3. DurdenJames
  4. saki monkey
  5. old_code
  6. OlSarge
  7. TheRightToBearArms
  8. AR15gunbuilder
    New one from west Florida
    Thread by: AR15gunbuilder, Sep 28, 2020, 19 replies, in forum: New Member Introductions
  9. Bunker Bob
  10. Modus Operandi
  11. Northern california
  12. Murfylang
  13. Waydah
  14. Kruel J
  15. johnwintergardener
  16. JazzeeJ
  17. Kavode
  18. ArtVandelay
  19. MrBadExample
  20. Wildbilly