Anti bacterial soap.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ura-Ki, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Ok, here is a problem. It seems like most every manufacture big and small has stopped making anti bacteria soap and other personal care products. My lovely bride and I have been makng our own soaps for a few years now and are looking for ways to make our soap anti bacteria!
    I have the curse of Stink foot and pits, no amount of soap or treatments outside the medical field will do any thing. Ever since the manufactures stopped the anti bacterials, I have been S.O.L. The covering up with pit stick and foot spray is only a band aid, and worse, I have developed a skin sensitivity to these products.
    My questions, what do you fine folks do, and what do you add to your home made, or even store bought soaps to work as anti bacterials?

2. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Might sound weird but I give the feet a 15-20 minute soak in apple cider vinegar every evening before shower time. Cut the rotten swamp foot smell to almost zero. The pits I hit with a handful of vinegar before the shower and it helps a lot but not as effective as the feet. Also I use lye soap I make and cure just enough that it won't strip skin or remove hair :) Sucks being one of those guys that stinks like ya ain't bathed in a month after 4 hours of light work :)

3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Im going to try strait Apple Cider Vinegar this eavning. Our goto soap is a cocktail of pure castle soap with pure mint oil, pure cedar oil, and clove oil. With a little vinegar and black tea. It works for an hour or two, but then things go back to "normal!" It sucks! I can scrub my self pink to the point of being painful using strong soap, and as soon as I dry my self off, I'm starting to ripen again. Feet are worse. When I was in the service, and especially in the deserts, this wasn' that much of a problem, and I don' really know why, but I am convinced it was the soap, and what ever anti bacteria in soap and pit stick worked, now those same brands and others are useless. I feel like a Frenchman who hasn' taken a bath in months and is covering it up with perfume!

4. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

ya can blame the FDA .. :(

RightHand, UncleMorgan and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

There's a a lot to be said for cider vinegar .
    You are fighting a bacteria issue.
    some of it is in your diet and some is clothing, and some is genetic .
    Colloidal silver will also kill bacteria and has no odor none ZIP. Used by some for deodorant while hunting.
    Your sox can be part of the problem. I had the same problem till I began wearing compression hose and stopped wearing cotton sox. the cotton HOLDS the perspiration and it has no where to go . Thin sox may not seem as cushiony but they don't hold the sweat. Hence they don't have the problem.
    I have in my gear (EDC bag) a zinc bar that is about the same shape as dove soap , it is used as a deodorant for under arms. nd( truth be told I've only used it once) Put away ,out of sight out of mind.
    The problem with anti bacterial soaps is possibly damaging to septic systems that need the bacteria to break it down.
    Regardless I use dish soap which is anti bacterial for washing my hands and sometimes in severely soiled laundry .

Motomom34 and UncleMorgan like this.
  6. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

You could try adding a few drops of antibacterial essenstial oils/s to your castile soap
    Some to try would be
    Tea Tree oil
    Cinnamon
    Tyme
    Oregano
    Eucalyptus
    Peppermint
    Lavender
    Bergamont
    Clove
    Lemongrass
    Basil & Rosemary (works better together)

Also have you considered that the issue might not be bacterial but Fungal? (or a combo of both)
    In which case the list is simular...
    Tea Tree
    Lavender
    Tyme
    Peppermint
    Geranium
    Bitter Almond
    Black Pepper
    Cinnamon
    Citronella
    Clove
    Eucalyptus

Something else to try is to get some Magnesium chloride flakes, , dilute 1 part flakes to 1-2 parts hot water... let desolve (& cool) put in a spray bottle & spray on trouble areas.. (this often stings when you first start & as far as I can tell, mostly happens when your body is low in magnesuim)

7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

The sock issues were solved years ago when I switched to wool, with a nylon/spandex inner sock for breatability.
    Sounds like I may need to try a few different blends of soap and see what I come up with. Thanks for the replies so far, they give me some more ideas.
    Yea, I blame the FDA/EPA for that changes!

8. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

silver and copper ions and nanoparticles are effective against bacteria however colloidal silver is really controversial at best

ethyl alcohol is effective which is why vinegar works up to a point

3M-TA3, UncleMorgan and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Try ordinary salt. Run it thru a small coffee grinder until it's about as fine as flour.

Put it in a shaker like old-fashioned foot powder. Dust the feet, pits, wherever.

It converts even the most minute sheen of sweat into salt water, in which odor-producing bacteria are not viable.

End of problem.

DIY, don't overpay:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000L978FU/?tag=survivalmonke-20

Motomom34, Thunder5Ranch and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Also, Coconut oil is antibacterial & anti fungal, and good for your skin :) , melt a bit in your hand, add a drop or 2 of your essential oil of choice, mix & apply to pits etc...

Motomom34, Brokor and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Totally forgot about coconut oil, will be checking that out. Works great for the doggies skin and coats, and eliminates smells, it should work for me!

Motomom34 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  12. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

There are many options and interventions in the quest for a non smelly body odour.....killing off the bacteria that convert body secretions into smelly olfactory byproducts is but one kind. An understanding of how body odour is produced may help, together with the understanding that you are probably going to have to explore and experiment with methods that may work best with your personal circumstances. Fungal infections can also produce very nasty odours, so an anti bacterial intervention is not likely to work with a fungal infection....different critters may need some different interventions.

Armpit Odor – Causes and Treatment

I have found some success with using crystal / mineral stones (Pottasium Alum) ....which seems to alter the habitat within which bacteria try to survive and thrive, to a more hostile environment for them (changing the skin surface PH, among other things). They are relatively inexpensive, last a long time, and seem to have few drawbacks for users. They tend to be a little fragile, but even if a mineral stick shatters (by being dropped perhaps), the shards are still usable, if somewhat less convenient.

[​IMG]

What Everyone Ought to Know About Crystal Deodorant Stones | Natural Cosmetic News

The Baking soda option.

Dunerunner, Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

i have sweatty stinking feat issues too, i have to use water and bleach soak once in a while.... and the stuff they use to disinfect for pedicures is amazing

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=barbicide

im a fan of natural and sometimes you just gotta kill the damn thing, whatever it is that gives you stinky feet, I also know after u use the barbicide you can use epsome salt soaks in between so you dont have to use the chemicals more than once every 2-3 weeks. You prolly have a systemic yeast infection and need some thing like diflucan for a while to help get it under control... migh want to talk to doctor and see if you have systemic yeast infection ... it happens more than you think

YOur feet and arm pits get rid of a lot of toxins, it doesnt hurt to help them out with medical help if you need it and foot soaks like epsom salt to help draw the problem out
    ok just my 2 cents worth you know your body best, trust you instincts and try different things to find what works for you'

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  14. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I used to know a guy years ago whose foot odor would level Tacoma. Someone suggested powdered Boric acid. Shake a little around in the shoes and dump out the excess.

I've had trouble with stinkfoot from time to time (especially during the Arizona summers) and this really works. Just be sure to wear socks because you don't want Boric acid in direct contact with your skin.

It can be purchased at just about any pharmacy (cheap and it doesn't take very much), but you have to ask for it. It's kept behind the counter. Sometimes they may have to order it. I keep a small jar on hand but haven't had to use it in years.

Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  15. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Lye soap. Also, a foot rub after cleaning comprised of any variety of anti bacterial essential oils like pine, thyme, lavender, and cinnamon to name a few (use with a carrier oil). Good foot powder (not Johnson&Johnson cancer) and wool socks when possible. The triclosan in antibacterial soaps is far more harmful than many people ever thought, and I've been strongly opposed to these poisons for many years.

Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  16. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Thanks! We don' like any of the un natural, We avoid when ever possible! Been a bit rough on the furkids with the flees, but we got the right mix, so were good!

sec_monkey and Brokor like this.
  17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I use witch hazel under my arms and I think it works better then deodorant. I stopped using the toxic stick stuff from the store.

18. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

IIRC witch hazel is a mild antiseptic?

19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I know that it is an astringent. It is really good for teenage faces to remove oils and such, plus it is an anti-inflammatory that is good for cuts and other health issues.

20. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle_gym

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Home_gym

I love my home gym!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Ariasmith
  5. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra has life figured out!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
  7. Alanaana
  8. Alanaana
    Media

Thankful

I feel so thankful for my life and each new day.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
  12. jefferson
  13. Alanaana
  14. jefferson
  15. fl4848
  16. chelloveck
  17. 3M-TA3
  18. Bandit99
  19. HK_User
  20. STANGF150