Any ideas what I can do with these

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by SB21, May 14, 2022.

1. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I've got an old pontoon boat,, I put new decking on it about 3-4 years ago ,, and painted the deck . I've decided I just don't care about fixing it up anymore ,,, I tried selling it on Craigslist a few years ago ,, everybody wanted me to give it to them ,,, hell ,, at least offer to trade me something for it ,,,,, cheapskates.
    I hate throwing stuff away ,, I'm wondering if y'all have any ideas what I could use the pontoons for ?? If I can't find something good to do with them ,, I'm going to cut'em in half and haul all of the aluminum pieces to the scrap yard . If I had livestock,, I'd rip the 'toons in half and use for food or watering troughs . That being said ,, if I ripped them in half , and filled with dirt and grew veggies in them ,, would the aluminum release any chemicals into the plants ??
    Thanks for any ideas you might have .

enloopious, GOG, Gator 45/70 and 4 others like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

All sorts of creative ideas, all depends on your needs!
    Might keep them around, never know when you might need some alloy sheet or odd shaped pieces for other projects!

3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Mount a 50 cal on it because the tactical wheelbarrow is so Obama era

Ura-Ki, Homer Simpson, oldawg and 4 others like this.
  4. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Fuel storage tanks?

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  5. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

rip em in half make planters out of them or raise worms in em or make buzz bombs out them WW II german style(sarcasm)

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  6. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Build a blind on top for duck hunting…no idea your location, but they are used like that a lot on the Great Lakes.

Ura-Ki, GOG, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  7. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

That was a thought also ,, but that's an idea I should have done before FJB got in office.

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  8. jimLE

jimLE Monkey+++

Building house boat comes to mind.then find a lake or river to keep it on.to me, that'd make it a great vacation spot.

9. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Around here folks would use them for a deck or dock. Nice to have someplace besides the roof to go when the house is under water.

10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Personally, I like pontoon boats, I worked on a rental fleet for 5 years at Big Bear Lake California.
    I think a house-boat would be great if the deck and toons are big enough.
    Give it time and see how the economy works out, worst case scenario the aluminum will always be of value like silver and gold .
    I won't destroy something inherently valuable, economically redeemable. I own 3 boats, all gifts, years before this current economic crisis. .

jimLE, Ura-Ki, CraftyMofo and 2 others like this.
  11. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I don't believe the 'toons are big enough to add a whole lot to the top of it ,, without spending big bucks on more aluminum stock and welding it all up. I might could add a 3rd 'toon ,, but I've got to many needed projects to do ,, than spend the time on a play project .
    I do have a decent creek in the back border of my property,, thought about putting it in the creek,, anchoring it with weighted cables and putting a water wheel generator on it to charge batteries,, but in a heavy rain,, that creek will rise a good bit ,, and a tree would probably come washing down thru there and wipe out the whole mess .
    The trailer sure came in handy tho ,, went and picked up one of them 24x26 metal carports,, trusses , legs and tin ,, worked out great.

12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Mount a couple of trawling motors on the back, Add solar panels and batteries and a small cabin to sleep in and off you go!
    New bug-out machine.

SB21 and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

To answer your question:

But seriously, there are tons of boats for free here. You should take 3 or 5 of them and combine them together to make one working good boat...

Aluminum causes brain damage if you eat it or get too much. We almost lost one of our trainers at the race track because his deodorant had too much in it and he couldn't handle basic things like talking and reading. Detox for 2 years set him back straight. He's almost like a normal person again. At least good enough to go vote.

SB21 likes this.
  14. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Aw hell ,,, that 'luminum can't hurt me ,,, I was one of them kids gnawing on the lead paint window sills back in the day ,, and I are fine now ,,,,,,:ROFLMAO:
    But that's why I asked ,, wasn't sure if chemicals from the metal might leech into the plants .

enloopious likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7