any laptop advice?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by groovy mike, Apr 3, 2008.

1. groovy mike

groovy mike Immortal

In the latest vignette Jerry D. Young wrote:

<FONT face=Arial><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]<TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0pt; BACKGROUND: #ccccff; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0pt; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8">Laptop

</TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 1; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0pt; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Toshiba, Pentium III, loaded w/250 magram, 10GB harddrive, DVD drive, XP, office, bag, complete, working excellent, $235, other desktops avail, Albany, NY (518) 221-0022

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

BTW – I don’t see anything in this ad that says wireless but perhaps I could ad that later? What should I expect to pay?

Any and all advice is appreciated – thanks J

Mike

2. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Hey GM, you can purchase an external USB WI-FI for around $40 bucks, just install your software and you should have no problems, I recently did the same to my fathers laptop last Christmas, his was a Dell with basically the same setup as the one in in your add. The unit I bought for my father was a Linksys USB . Software is included

3. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have not seen any new computer that does not have a built in wireless card. If you are really wanting to go with a used one, then I would ask if it has a built in wireless card. As far as how much, well there are so many variables, RAM size plus is it DDR/DDR2/Pre-DDR, what size hard drive, processor type and speed, software,hardware, etc. I can tell you this much, if you buy a new one splurge and get the extended warranty. I have never had a laptop that did not have at least a small problem every now and then. I am currently on my 8th. I am a big fan of Gateway, but that is just my preference. Unless you just run upon a steal somewhere I would take a good look at BestBuy or Circuit City. Lots of times they will have laptops for under or around $500. These are new laptops with a warranty and tech help.

4. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

This laptop that I have now cost $708 including tax, brand-new. I got it at Circuit City.

It is a Gateway with the dual processor at a speed of 1.5ghz, 160GB HD, built-in wifi a/b/g card. I can hit signals at coffee shops, libraries, and random neighborhoods. It works good as far as wifi speed, though I am thinking of getting an external wifi for it. There were cheaper laptops though they were made for those who cannot multi-task or are new to computers. They could only do one thing at a time such as play music, or watch movies. This one can do a lot of things all at once, just like me. Haha. I didn't spend for the extended warranty. I figure that if I have a problem with it, I'll find a manual and fix it myself. I'm also looking into getting one of those solar powered charging backpacks for it. It's my cup of tea. It's lightweight enough I don't mind toting it with me. Sound leaves something to be desired if I don't plug in an external powered speaker system. Though can't have everything for the price I paid. Other laptops can get up to at least $2500. I think mine is just great.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I've never bought a computer from a major store or brand name of any kind since the first Packard-Bell. Since then, I've bought from local operations, or had one built by a local geek. Three of those so far, and zero issues. My laptop is a custom configured "Brick" found at some local operations, it has been faultless (one new battery when the original puked up) since new in 02. Was not top of the line then, but 600 frns did the deal. I added a US Robotics wifi card in the slot, has also been faultless. 'Tain't the fastest car on the street, but does me well for SM (and other) things while on the road and around the house (with a Westell router supplied by Verizon with the DSL kit.) The router is served by the tower my son built in 99 (has been upgraded here and there several times including when the power supply just plain quit out of the blue) so the machine itself cannot claim to be that old.

I don't cruise the neighborhood looking for wifi hotspots, but they do exist. If you are going to the library, and don't need wifi at home, you should be fine. If used is your aim, then know all there is to know about it, and don't fork over penny one until it has been checked over thoroughly by someone who knows 'puters. Otherwise, go with new. Also, my experts tell me that if they haven't fried out on you within the guarantee period, chances are they won't for years. The extended warrantees are usually a waste of money.

You might also check out the major mfrs websites, they often have rebuilt older units with intact warrantees.

Luck [beer]

6. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I just got a Dell from Dell's Refurbished site. $450 to the door. AMD Processor, 1GB ram, 120GB HDD, wireless, 4 USB ports, 15.? inch screen. I was able to get it with XP instead of Vista thankfully

I love this thing. I've only had it about 2 weeks but it's been great so far.

7. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Most of the time I do think extended warranties are a waste of money, but if I am buying a new laptop I do get one. With most of the manufacturers only giving a short warranty, I like the extra protection. My screen went out once, then I had another problem when the charger refused to charge, and then finally I had either screen problems or a video card problem, I do not remember which it was. My warranty saved my ass each and every time.

8. Conagher

Conagher Dark Custom Rider Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

GM,

I work on computers for a living, as well as, being a network administrator. Your best bet would be to figure out how much you want to spend on a laptop and go from there.

What kind of functions do you want the laptop to do? Do you just want to surf the Internet, and maybe do some office applications work on it? Or do you what to maybe try some pc games in addition to the regular Internet/office app stuff?

All of this will dictate what kind of machine you need to buy. I would "not" go below a 1.5Ghz processor, or 1GB of RAM. Try to find a laptop that doesn't have an Integrated video card either (unless all you will ever do with it is just surf the Net on it). You'll notice a huge difference in functionality and performance if you get anything under those speeds, especially with multitasking. If you can find a laptop that has a Duo Core or Duo Core 2 processor,DDR2 memory, Sata hard drive, great sound card, hi quality lcd screen, dvd burner, etc. This is the optimum setup for multi-tasking and using bigger intensive applications.

Look at these guys cause they have specials going on all the time....http://www.geeks.com/ or go to the aforementioned Dell outlet and get a nice refurb laptop. I like some of the HP laptops as well. I can work with Vista, but prefer to stay with Windows XP Pro. It's just an OS that has all the bugs worked out of it, even though the Vista SP1 just came out. The thing with Vista is it is graphically intensive so you need a very good processor, large memory, great video card, etc. so that it will run without any hiccups or glitches.

I have a Dell E1705 that is a powerhouse laptop that runs every bit as fast as my desktop computer. It has a pci-express video card, audigy sound card, 100gb sata hard drive, I use it for gaming, surfing, Itunes, basically anything I want to throw at it, and it has been an awesome computer.

9. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

I'd stay clear of an HP laptop, if I had it to do over. Also. my next laptop will have an Intel processor for sure not an AMD, as I have switched to Linux for internet surfing and forums. I really had a time getting a Linux OS that would work right or at all on my HP laptop, and that should not have been the case. All looked great on my wife's desktop Dell.

Since you just seem to want one that you can carry around to wireless hotspots for internet, the Dell refurb sounds like a better way to go. Should be some return policy and or warranty support. Don't think I'd go for an older used laptop unless money is really an issue.

10. vegasrandall

vegasrandall Monkey+++

I just got a panasonic toughbook,it's a milspec rugged laptop,water and dust resistant used by our armed forces in combat and harsh conditions.I bought mine on ebay and paid $450.it's brand new RCMP surplus and I really like it.you can find them with built in gps and wifi or you can add the chips later.they are a bit heavy but the case is magnesium and strong enough to stand on.

11. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

I use a IBM Thinkpad, love it, (Sheen Estevez, JR [lolol]) Conagher is correct, first look at what you will be doing with the machine. Is it just surfing the net, will you be using it with work, etc.

I hate Windows, for some time I ran Linux on my laptop, love Linux but not condusive to my work, I need to run AutoCAD on it and there is no Linux version, running in a emulator program doesn't work for that so I'm stuck on Windows.

A few co-workers picked up referb Macs, if you have plans to do anything with graphics, video or sound I would suggest looking at that platform although you will typically pay more, other than the keyboard that is a solid system.

12. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I got a toughbook too but mine has all the bells and whistles; I love it amd it is baggage-handler proof! I bought mine new three years ago, paid a fortune for it and it has out-lasted four other lap-tops; a soney, a Dell (got stolen), and two Toshibas.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7