Any of You Ever Try or Own Solar Ovens?

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by ED GEiN, Nov 29, 2020.

1. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Any of You Ever Try or Own Solar Ovens? If so, which ones would you recommend or not recommend?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Nope just a dutch oven.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    Hairy, 3M-TA3, Thunder5Ranch and 2 others like this.
  4. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

Diy cardboard and aluminum foil. It was a spectacular fail.

5. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I don't know I managed to get a couple hot dogs hot in one before a breeze blew it away.

6. coloradohermit

coloradohermit Monkey+++ Founding Member

I've been happy with my Sun Oven. The only complaint I've had is that it won't hold larger pans/pots.

Altoidfishfins likes this.
  7. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Ed, you will have problems with one in your hidey hole. You need to rotate them for the sun, tracking it around, well, you need a window to match. Of course, if you can bring yourself to it, the roof should be a good place to try it out.

Altoidfishfins likes this.
  8. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Haven't tried it, but I believe with an extra pot purchased from them, you can double-stack. The top pot's base fits into the lower pot's recess normally used for the lid. Then you can put the lid on the top pot.

9. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I have a big black cardboard box with 4" thick walls and bottom and a glass top with a big reflector that's about 3/4 complete, Every time I think about doing anything with it I realize it's winter, and the sun is less than optimal. And so it sits on the shelf, where its been for ten years or so, waiting for me to get it done.

My experiments with smaller scale solar ovens (slow days at work) in the summer were promising, but in the winter the same experiments became frustrating.

It required dedication and patience to get everything right. Your power source is always moving out of perfect alignment, and is affected by weather and season. Somewhere about Plan D on my list of cooking options.

10. Gafarmboy

Gafarmboy Monkey+++

Built a 2x2x18 configuration from some old ply from a job site. Used polished aluminum for the reflection parts; those pieces came from a trailer building site. It was heavy and durable. The second generation unit used 3/8 ply for the base and 1/4" luan board for the reflection units. Glued polished aluminum to luan board. Much easier to move. The next version will be in the shape of an pentagon or octagon. Just to see if it improves the heat levels.

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

[worthless]

Ganado likes this.
  12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

This real issue is timing. You have to cook one time a day at mid day for all 3 meals.

There was a post somewhere from a woman who showed how to organize your meals so you cooked one time a day on a sun oven and then just heated with small stove or fire in the evening and morning

ED GEiN likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7