Any one familiar with Kerosene stoves?

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Ura-Ki, Oct 29, 2022.

1. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Ok, kinda misleading title here, so forgive me! What I'm specifically looking for is info about Garrette Wade products, specifically their classic Camping/backpacking kerosene stoves, and their lanterns! Any experience with this company specifically, or their products?

2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I'm not seeing the stove on their site.

They look like a Harbor Freight (ChiCom crap) reseller.

sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

DKR and sec_monkey like this.
  4. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

Ura-Ki likes this.
  5. sec_monkey

.. .. dey sound like dey is made in India .. ..

Ura-Ki likes this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

The "READ DEAL" Primus Made in Sweden, are long out of production, and 'spensive! These "New" ones look to be sorta good and safe, it's kero after all, how dangerious could they really be? I see Russian Copies ( kinda Kook) that might actually be better, cause Russian, but IDK, I have only ever used the Primus ones!

sec_monkey likes this.
  7. sec_monkey

3M-TA3 and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. sec_monkey

Estonia is a lot better dan South Asia [ India, Pakistan, Bangladesh ]

[chopper]

9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

sec_monkey likes this.
  10. sec_monkey

3M-TA3 likes this.
  11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I always liked the MSR stoves, and their multi fuel stoves are in the same price range. I used a white fuel Firefly over 20 years when I was actively backpacking and it still works like new.

sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I have the Wisperlite International, best packing stove on the planet and the near galaxy, I also have the second best there ever was, the Colman Summit! The Colman puts out more BTU's per measure of fuel, and it's more fuel efficient, BUT, it's not a multi fuel capable ( unless you do a bunch of "Conversion" work) AND it's not as compact as the MSR Wisperlite, and it dosn't run very well above 8,000 feet AGL! The Wisperlite is the ONLY liquid fuel stove capable of running at VERY HIGH altitudes, and it out performs any of the gas stoves, HANDS DOWN!

I'm wantin the old school type Kero/Lamp Oil Stove for a specific purpose here!
    Went ahead and ordered up the Garrett-Wade stove and will see if it works, and if it's as good as the old Primus were!
    Will give a report once i get it, and can put it to the test!

3M-TA3 and techsar like this.
  13. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Ura-Ki likes this.
  14. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I've bought a few things from Garret Wade ,, I believe their stuff is pretty decent quality ,, but possibly could be found cheaper elsewhere .

Ura-Ki likes this.
  15. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Good news, the Stove arrived today, it's in excellent condition ( brand new) and it's of the Russian Copy, which is arguably the better version! Went through the pre fil prep, lubed everything it requires and then filled the tank and pumped it up! It lit super easy and the burner runs true, no high spots or lows! The flame control is super sensitive, but once you have it figured out, it's super easy! I'm running a blend of paraffin lamp oil with Kerosene, it does really well and will boil water faster then most good camp stoves, this is the important challenge here, and why I wanted one of these type stoves, I'm going to keep running it to test out it's capabilities and fuel consumption, which seems to be pretty good over all!

16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I was looking at kerosene prices the other day while in tractor supply
    Something like 52 bucks for 5 gallons

Ura-Ki, SB21 and sec_monkey like this.
  17. sec_monkey

:shock::shock:

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7