Anyone have experience with ROHN Telescoping Masts?

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Bandit99, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Recently, I have been playing around with digital using a SignaLink so I set up a second antenna and radio specifically to do digital while leaving my primary setup for voice.

I got the antenna mast up about 18 feet but now thinking about purchasing a telescoping mast that would go up to 34 feet. I am sort of considering it as it could also be put to other uses in a mobile scenario. Soooo...

So, does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with telescoping masts and/or recommendations on a manufacturer, model, etc.? Basically, I am looking for some first-hand knowledge.

This link below is for a Rohn telescoping mast which I 'think' is about the best around until I get some input from folks.

ROHN Telescoping Masts 9H50

sec_monkey likes this.
  2. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

We built something similar for the Scouts a few years ago. Used 10' sections of rigid Al conduit, wall flanges at each section for guy points, and drilled each overlap for 0.25" pins.

Bandit99 and sec_monkey like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I have used Rohn Fixed Radio Towers for DECADES... II have a 60Ft one in pieces waiting to go up to the New Place this summer...Don't have much experience with a Telescoping Rohn Towers... but they are one of the Bigges in Radio Antenna Towers...

4. Gray Bear

Gray Bear Monkey+++

I have one 19'-3" tall which holds one end of my ZS6BKW antenna. I have a Discone installed on top of that, separated by several feet in height from the wire. The wire is also several feet of rope away from the mast to the insulator to avoid conflict.
    It seems to work fine, although the mast is pulled off plumb by the wire at times when the tree at the far end moves.
    I may lower the mast 2' so the top portion of the bottom section gets doubled up for more strength.
    I have the mast attached to a backing board with a bracket on my back garage, and then sitting on a ground mount. I wanted to avoid guys due to the location.

5. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I have an old 2 section 38' one. I built a cage in a yard of concrete and made it to be tilt-over as well because I'm getting too old to climb any more. The tower is around 30 years old and still in great shape. I highly recommend Rohn products.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7