Aquila Industries 130GR .38 Specials?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Thunder5Ranch, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I bought a case of these for cheap. Too cheap it seems 10-12 out of every 50 rounds is a misfire. Anyone else tried these and been as disappointed as I am? From what I can tell with my dissection of the misfires........ the primers are total duds in most and in 17 of them the primer went off but ummm there was not 1 grain of powder in the casing let alone 130 :( Not a huge deal since it is just plinking ammo but sure would not want my life to depend of these.

2. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

I think I would be calling Aquila up and having a heart to hearth talk. That’s what we get for buying something not made in the good old U.S.A. I have the.22 tcm and the first box of Aquila ammo had 14 misfires but the last case has been much better. Never again.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If I had that issue, I would FIRST call the AGUILA USA and give them an ear full, and demand refund... If I got NO Satisfaction, then I would report OFFICIALLY the Type, Lot, and specifics to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, and ask them to issue a 100% Recall on that Lot... The OEM has a GIANT Product Liability Issue here, considering the Safety Concerns of a Squibed Projectile in the barrel of a weapon... If the CPSC determines that big chunks of their Imports have similar Issues they can shut them down as Importers...
    You should weigh each of the rounds you have left, and pull the Projectiles from each of the Lite Weight Rounds, and then reLoad them with Powder. The weight shouldn’t vary more than 1.2 Grains MAX...

4. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

More like reloading supplies, once you pull the bullets, than loaded ammo. Almost sounds like they had a contamination issue on the primers. Who knows what happened with the powder situation.

People on this forum know not to pull the trigger after a squib, but others may not. BT's right, there could be a big liability issue as far as Aguila is concerned.

Hmm, I have several boxes of 5.56 by that manufacturer. Lit off about half a box with no problems so far. Have to keep my eyeballs peeled.

5. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

where did ya get these if ya dont mind?

can ya please post or PM some OPSEC pics of the boxes plus the rounds?

[winkthumb] [winkthumb]

oldman11 and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  6. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Looks like poor QC.I've had better results with Monarch from Academy.

oldman11 likes this.
  7. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Or old ammo. The new "green" primers don't hold up as well as the 'old' (not Green) primers. YMMV.

8. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

My Uncles Gun shop, he is doing the complaining on my behalf and about 2 dozen other people I learned this afternoon that bought cases off of that pallet that have had the same issues. Good guy he is doing his own recall and refunding everyone that bought it. Out of curiosity I stopped at Rural King on the way home from his shop tonight and bought two more boxes and found 7 duds out 100 rounds, all primers. I do believe I will give them a call in the morning and explain the primer problem in 2 different lots and the primer powder problem in the first lot. I imagine Uncle Gene will have more mojo being a FFL but can't hurt to add my 2 cents.

The lack of problems with their 5.56 is why I snagged the .38sp. Zero problems with the 5.56s. What the second bullet won't push the first bullet through the barrel!!! Surely you jest LOL :)

sec_monkey and oldman11 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7