AR Handle Carry and Retro Fans Rejoice (?)

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by 3M-TA3, Jan 29, 2023.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

PSA picked up H&R AND DPMS. H&R semi auto versions of A1's on up are being released this year. DPMS CH's are also on the way. No idea which of the DPMS lines are coming back. G2's perhaps, but the Ruger SFAR may make that a moot point.

snake6264, Ura-Ki, Dannyboy53 and 2 others like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Awesome, the O.G. AR should ALWAYS have a carry handle and Iron sights, just like God and Eugene intended!
    I'm not bashin on the M-4, BUT, gotta have Irons!

3. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I was too young to have carried a M-16 rifle in Vietnam, but I had a really cool toy M-16 made by Mattel that had a carry handle and iron sights and I fired a M-16 in college ROTC. To me a M-4 carbine is ok, but a M-16 is a rifle!

Yard Dart and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

My favorite daily is my Colt with attached carry handle, does not come off. Don't see them on the shelves anymore.

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and Dunerunner like this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Looks like they will be making a comeback this year! I'd expect stripped uppers to become available again shortly after the rifles debut. My guess is that they will be roll marked DPMS as opposed to H&R, but you never know.

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I have a Colt LE6920 M4 with no handle...and yeah, I would prefer it with one. In fact, I freely admit that I have drooled over Ura-Ki's handy-dandy, sweet and simple, shorty AR... I am fed up with heavy guns, loaded down with cool crap. I want it light, streamlined, and reliable.

@3M-TA3 "...but the Ruger SFAR may make that a moot point."
    Since you brought this up, have you heard much about the SFAR? Heard anything reliable how it's holding up in the field?

EDIT: After viewing the video, I did visit the PSA website and the H&R portion is not up yet.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I've seen some YT videos so you can take that for what it's worth. They have adjustable gas blocks so it should not be a challenge to tune for ammo/silencer, etc. If I didn't already have a G2 pattern short frame308 I'd probably get one. If DPMS revives the G2 I'd probably get an upper to build a 375 Raptor for some subsonic fun.

8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I was going to say that they make carry handles that attach to your top rail and add-on front sights for those "naked" AR-15s.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Sportmans Guild awhile back had original Colt Vietnam era M-16 parts kits basically everything but the receiver. I bought 2 of them and got receivers for both. They came with new in the white barrels, both have the carry handle. Pretty much what we had back in the day minus the full auto.

11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Stupid question time, and being the most qualified to ask a stupid question will proceed...

Does the carry handle ever actually get used that way? On a heavier rifle I can definitely see the utility, but did any of you that used it in combat find it useful?

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Sure, hook the buttstock over a wall and use the handle to pull yourself up. I grab mine when I pull the rifle from under the truck seat too.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Not so much for actual carrying it, but for handling and manipulating of it shooting and scooting!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If I'm going retro I'll stick with about A2.
    The A1 sights aren't as good as the A2.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

My AR was built years ago from an M16A1 parts kit out of Shoigun News (from Old Sarge I think ?) But I am beginning to like Mrs. Dawgs M4gery because of the sight and optic mounting options. My A1 does sometimes sport a carry handle mounted picatinny rail but it's not as versatile or compact in use as her flat top mounting options. My eyes aren't as good with the irons as they were 15-20 years ago. Still prefer my full length rifle for shooting though.

mysterymet and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

The original carry handle boomer.

FAL_21.

oldawg, CraftyMofo and Minuteman like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7