Are Back Up Caches A Good Plan

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by deMolay, Jan 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

Not asking who has back up caches, but do you think this is a good idea? I think so and not just because of this video. Could be any number of situations that depending where your preps are stored you could lose all or some of them.

2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

It's not who thinks its a good idea ,,,, it's , who doesn't think its a good idea .
    I like his straight forward bluntness.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Thanks @deMolay love that guy, made me laugh he says don't be a DA

4. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

I don't think he likes his local gubmint

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Methinks it's never a good idea to have only one of anything, possibly excepting POOSSLQs. The saying we generally start with is "two is one, one is none."

N.B. Squirrels don't hide all their nuts in the same place. How they remember where they hid dinner is past my guessing.

6. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Essential to survival as many as possible

Boy that guy like to listen to himself

7. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Sure do, since cacheing is insurance against more than just a TSHTF moment. Cacheing your most important firearms and ammunition is the best insurance against domestic RO’s, theft, unlawful seizures from TPTB, and so forth. Those weapons must be off the books, no paper trail ties them to you. This is were private sales and the 80% ghost guns come into being the best candidates for cacheing.

8. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

Love my 80%'ers.....
    Two discrete sets of weapons, assorted flavors is ideal. At home = all the shot-to-s*** ones on the books, as well as one functional long gun and pistol. Else = 80%'ers, private sale, inherited stuff that no one knows about.
    It's going to happen, we just don't know how soon. Boy scouts motto always in play thank you.

9. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Applying the rules of 3,1 is none,2 is 1 and 3 is for me! A spread out stash is harder to find.

Gator 45/70, deMolay and Seepalaces like this.
  10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I can speak from experience here, having more then one of any thing is essential.
    Back in my rowdy days carrying a rifle, if I hadn't split up my pack and cashed it, i would not have been able to stay out where I was for as long as I was able to! We had a habbit of bringing way more then needed, amd this was a good lesson fot why!

11. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

Side note re the caching locations: consider access, and potential future changes to the environment. Does that cow pasture corner fence post you chose now have a very irritable stud bull living on it? Did the property owner, (if not you), decide to split it up and make a subdivision? It's spring flood and your stash of goodies is now under 15 feet of fast moving, very dirty water?
    I have a number of "from work" get-home routes I planted some useful stuff on. These are the sort of paths one can hoof discretely assuming motor transport is out of the picture for whatever reason. I had one stash located along a stream in a power line right of way out in the boonies. Some damn beavers decided to take up residence somewhat downstream. So much for that ammo, h2o, and MREs.....
    Always try to cache your backup crap in places where you can get eyeballs on the site occasionally, preferably from a moving car.

STANGF150, Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and 6 others like this.
  12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I keep thinking that if I have to do a cache' it needs to be under ground like a root cellar ,but not under the house , more like an over sized green house .
    A significant cistern below the root cellar and an aquaponic green house above that .
    I anticipate that rain water will need to be significantly filtered to remove contaminants especially if the catastrophic event is something like a volcanic event ,not to mention continued radiation from Fukushima, ( the pacific is still being contaminated )
    Still working on that problem.
    If the sun cools off the only thing growing will need artificial light and then under ground will be the only safe place to do that.

Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
  13. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Does having a well rounded set of reserves at each of your grown children's homes count?

I figure its there for me if I need it. If something happens to me it is there if they need it. All these "caches" are miles from each other and 15-200 miles from me in a rough line.

3cyl, Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

An acquaintance at work said he would never be a prepper with a cashe' because he watched/helped his grandfather break into one as a kid. a locked steel door in the middle of the desert.
    People are unscrupulous, and will if given enough opportunity to break into any thing you've made, and steal and destroy what has been set aside for an emergency, during a time they are not in distress , JUST BECAUSE IT IS THERE and you are not there to stop them. As times get worse the desperation becomes worse.
    Plant what you will like a fruit tree, it may pay off and it may not .ALL of life is a gamble , like the stock market don't cry if you loose that is part of the gamble. If you can't afford to loose don't gamble

Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Yup,Yup,Yup,
    Never ever put all those eggs in one basket.
    There's always a skunk who is greedy that will break in and eat his fill until he almost explodes leaving you diddly squat.

Oddcaliber and Zimmy like this.
  16. 3cyl

3cyl Monkey+++

He learned to be a thief from his Grandfather?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Well,There has to be more to the story like what was in it?

oldman11 likes this.
  18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I am sure there is, but the guilt over what his grand father had done really bothered him.

3cyl and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I've said it before, I'll say it again, the first people we will ever have to fight will be the local police, not the military. Just watch "Live PD". If during my very brief stint as a LEO, had we treated people like they do now we would have been fired AND brought up on civil charges. And yet now they are brazen enough to televise it.

Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. duane
  2. Oltymer
  3. T. Riley
  4. Oltymer
  5. Meat
  6. melbo
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7