Are we devolving in to morons ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ochit, Jun 1, 2018.

1. ochit

ochit Monkey+

Recent art, Are we devolving

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm just so proud NOT !

The NEA (The National Endowment for the Arts) is of the Devil. How can Americans sing “God Bless America,” or boast “In God We Trust” in view of such wickedness? Andres Serrano was paid $15,000 by the U.S. government for his “art” titled “Piss Christ

[​IMG]

Ancient Greek sculpture

[​IMG]

Micheal Angelo

[​IMG]

Trevi Fountain Rome

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

What qualifies as art these days makes me shake my head. What you get when you have a bunch of folks who "Group Think" and follow the dictate of the clique.

3. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

For the low price of $239.99 you own this piece of First Grade Quality art from a 40ish year old artist. This is what happens when your kid sucks at art and you and everyone else tells them how great it is and encourages them to keep doing something they suck at. LOL BTW the artist that makes this crap is living off our tax dollars. Not to pick on her she is just one of thousands.
    17308844_10158444842480010_1348453515322608154_n.

4. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

@Thunder5Ranch that's really not fair to first graders...I'd say preschool at best.

Bandit99, Tully Mars, ochit and 4 others like this.
  5. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

SMH

ochit likes this.
  6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  7. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]

Anchorage has a mandated by law 1% for Art program.

[​IMG]
    (in front of museum)

[​IMG]
    in front of sport complex (of sorts)

[​IMG]
    in front of the.....fire dept (ya, I know)

[​IMG]
    hanging basket holders that look like fishing poles. Some Art we have is kinda fun....

8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The "art" they push here is for lack of a better word "rustic", meaning that no actual skills or attention to detail were used during construction.

Caveman Jim and tacmotusn like this.
  9. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

The aliens are gonna be hella confused when they dig that crap up a 1000 years from now.....:p

10. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It may be that the Devil simply exists in the minds of those who believe that the Devil exists. Honi soit qui mal y pense!

Why need anyone feel obliged to sing, or feel constrained not to sing "God Bless America" (The Star Spangled Banner is, after all the US national anthem); let alone be proud of "In God We Trust" in the presence of an object of art called "Imersion(Piss Christ)". Piss Christ - Wikipedia......The USA had a perfectly good motto of E Pluribum Unum, before the god-botherers successfully lobbied to have it changed. That you may not appreciate the artistry of a particular work of art, does not mean that the work of art doesn't possess any artistic merit or cultural value.

THE FINE ART DINER: What Does 'Piss Christ' Mean & Why Is It Important?
    On Desecration: Andrés Serrano, Piss Christ

Blasphemy, like art, is in the eyes of the beholder....remember that, when fellow monkeys are posting disrespectful images of Muhammed pbuh....perhaps Christians should be a little less precious about their own sacred entities, when flinging excreta at deities and prophets of competing faiths, which Christians don't believe in.

11. duane

duane Monkey+++

Interesting, piss Christ is art and paid for, but filming the spectators outside a court trying an organized group of a certain religious group for sexual actions against minors will land you in jail in a few hours in England or speaking out against an Islamist spokesman who advocates actions against Christians will land you in trouble in the US for hate speech or a anti religious Islamist cartoon will get you killed in France. The tail is wagging the dog. Islamist, BLM, The alphabet soup lists for gender, etc. follow different rules than our old ones. Can't post the Ten Commandments, but have to furnish prayer rooms, in our schools. Does not look good in the long run and any comment I make about it in our local media is listed as conservative hate speech so I have quit commenting. With apologies to chelloveck as it is my biased way at looking at the problem, in the 700's BC, another nation made similar mistakes and Hosea 8:7 describes the results. The rest of the chapter has its points as well. To those of our group that do not believe in the Bible being Gods word, is in another sense the collected history and a compilation of the most profound thoughts of a people for a long period of history and while times change, it seems the the basic nature of both people and nations does not.

Caveman Jim, ochit and tacmotusn like this.
  12. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

We really do need a thumbs up and thumbs down choice! Unlike is not a choice, it is a stupid default that only shows if you click on "like". WTF is that supposed to do? If you have no clue why I am saying this I will not further try to explain. I can handle any and all thumbs down that I may happen to receive.

Alf60 and SB21 like this.
  13. ochit

ochit Monkey+

If we leave God and religion out of it, placing a article in urine that you did not make and posing it as art is art it's assembly like scrap booking or a collage poster. it's taking elements and arranging them into something it is personalized assembly. those 4 or 5 color slashes to pull together a rooms color pallet people call that art but none are hanging in the Louvre so apparently the art procurement department does not perceive that worthy of being raised to artistic homage so to the arts most respected exhibitor, that painting is not art .

This is only touted as art because someone said it was and got paid for it. because it mocks a group and belittles their passion, pop culture insults people just to raise contempt. A lot of people like to create division and arguments if that is honorable or decent I don't see it. Does it bring people together or drive us apart, It can't be beneficial to society if it is a disrespectful it insults and makes enemies, We on the right have to respect the lefts thoughts and ideals but the left can spit on ours. I am sure that is not inclusive or caring loving or kind, but the right is just suppose to roll over and allow it. well not without destroying something and again that is not respecting others,

14. duane

duane Monkey+++

I have serious problems with art, I don't see it as an object but a concept. Picasso saw a rusty bicycle handle bars and a bicycle seat and welded them together to form a bulls head. A billion other people saw the same objects, but not the bulls head. Ansel Adams took photos that captured a moment of light and shadow that are priceless to me and in areas I will never see and may no longer exist. I have no idea what other people see as art, their minds and mine are different, but some of it is not only tasteless but disturbing to me, but then again that may have been the artists desired goal. As long as it is a level playing field I have no problems, but when my feelings are ignored and others are not, it is no longer acceptable. Controlling art, religion, hate speech, safe places, correct thoughts, etc, all lead to a very disturbing place to me. If the poor people from South America have a God given right to come here for safety, do we as a nation have the same right to go down there and make the country safe and develop its rich natural resources? Can't have it both ways, but the liberals don't see it that way. Most of life in the USA has reached the point that the inmates are running the institutions. When you take our common history, warts and all, and edit it to meet some new goal, racial, social or economic, you are taking a huge chance that the new desired end result may not be viable. ln the over 150 years since the Civil War, about 4,000 blacks were lynched, while that number is a sad commentary on our society, there have been very few such in the last 20 years, the number of blacks dying from drug over doses and black on black homicides in the last year greatly exceeds that number, but we hear much more about the lynchings.

Bandit99 and ochit like this.
  15. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I figure there are maybe three kinds of art.

There's art that forces it's way out of the artist. The artist is only along for the ride.

There's art meant to be informative or enlightening.

And then there's art meant to piss people off and gather attention to some insecure dickhead. I try to ignore that kind

16. ochit

ochit Monkey+

I think they are confused now, that's why they don't come out of their ships and talk. Berkley riots, BLM, Rolling Thunder, Shock and Awe with Pee Wee Herman making a comeback ! if you had a safe space up there would you want to talk to the locals---NOT.

Bandit99, SB21 and Zimmy like this.
  17. DKR

More Public (tax funded) Art here in town

[​IMG]
    OK, most folks get this - the fish hatchery is in the background. This out by the local air base

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this, not so much.

[​IMG]
    looks cool, but the pipes rupture almost every year....

[​IMG]
    at least (not in the winter) it shows were have paved streets here in Anchorage. It also shows our "Art selection committees" lack taste. I mean, this is waaay to cubic to be in front of a big box building....

18. DKR

[​IMG]
    in Downtown. BTW - drug use is now legal in AK.

[​IMG]
    while painting building does add a touch of color, ongoing maintenance is a nightmare.

[​IMG]
    inside of the local art museum

[​IMG]
    this is in front of a SoA building, so local taxpayers missed paying for this.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  19. DKR

[​IMG]
    Art on the beach (well, shingle) out by the airport. Private money.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Except after one storm, the Art became Trash. At least she and her friends didn't want the Muni to clean up the mess.

20. DKR

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7