Are you preparing for the election?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

During past elections, the question of preparing for election day would have been deciding what patriotic outfit I was going to wear to the polls but this election season it is so much more. If Trump wins, there is a high probability there will be more civil unrest then what we currently are witnessing. If Trump loses, some seem to think he will not leave the White House and folks will be angry because he is still in the WH on Nov 4. Also, in the past some victory celebrations (team sports) have resulted in car burning, cities having parties turn into civil disturbances.

This is not a political discussion thread, this is a question of: are you preparing for the election? Are you thinking safety, planning on supply disruptions. Are you looking at the calendar and thinking I need to get X done prior to November. Forget the pandemic, truck drivers do not want to go into burning cities to deliver supplies. If you live or work near a metro area have you thought about getting to and from work safely post election. No matter where you are, November 3 could be a SHTF event and are you preparing?

GrayGhost, GOG, mysterymet and 10 others like this.
  2. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[Moto] [Moto]

3. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

We're well isolated from the crazy and are nicely supplied now. Even if the supply lines were disrupted for a while we'd be fine. The Mr's job is a straight shot on a barren highway and it ain't shutting down for no election silliness.

Really the only thing I need to stock up on is more popcorn.

GOG, TnAndy, mysterymet and 13 others like this.
  4. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

What about the meteor that as suppose to do a fly by on day before the election. Maybe we will get lucky.
    Anyway, same plan as before:
    No signs in the yard nor stickers on the car.
    Get to polls super early, wearing grey sweat jacket, blue jeans, non-logo'd ball cap, boots.
    Park car where i can vacate polling place easy (one way one lane in, one way one lane out) by going across the lawn if necessary.
    don't talk to anyone except the poll workers
    vote
    get the hell out and go home
    lock the gate
    make breakfast.

prior to that, i'm just going to need to make sure that the chimneys are swept, chainsaw up the dead apple trees for firewood, add more food to the new freezer, can the last of the tomatoes, basic pre-winter preps.

Yes, this year could be seriously eff'd, but I hope that winter comes early. don't tend to see many marches, riots, mass protests when the snow is falling and the temps keep dropping. Kinda hard to burn shit down when you yourself are wearing a faux fur lined puffy parka and are semi-flammable.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    GOG, mysterymet, Gator 45/70 and 11 others like this.
  5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I live in Alaska. Think, end of a dirt path at the end of a two track dirt road at the end of the gravel road at the end of the Farm road.

We away are prepared for supply chain disruptions. Had both autos fully serviced in Aug with superlife synth

Even had the wife get the left of her dental work done.

We've viewed the 4 years of Trump as a breather before the real sh!tstorm starts. Life will go on, we can only hope we will get to keep some of the freedom our fathers and grandfathers fought for....

If the Dem try their usual "Hey look! We just found another set of boxes full of ballots that happen to be 100% for us"... to steal this election, there is - quite literally - no telling what will happen.

Don't get me wrong, I expect this kind of corruption in NY/NJ/MA. Must be the water. But on a National scale, I don't. This time around too many States have Soros-backed Dems in change of the polling machines. At the risk of too much drama, this might be the last year for honest, free and open elections - if that.

As a lead up the fireworks, we've been pulling some cash out of the bank weekly to have on hand should the banks close....or be forced to shut from a run.

Cause, if Trump loses, expect Capital flight like you have never seen before.

Part of my day to day job is to research property records for tax reporting. Something we do as part of a paid service when property changes hands. 6 months ago, I would work the occasional record - a good slow start to the day. Most for lack of a good address based on deed descriptions. This last week it was 25+ per day. Been steadily ramping up for months. Could be - just folks are buying at the insanely low rates we see today

Or
    Could be - folks are desperately trying to park 'surplus' cash out of the market and into hard goods....Can't say for sure as my work is strictly back-office stuff.

December is not going to be a happy time for a large number of people, not matter how it turns out. I can count on the mass media trying to push their agenda and make trouble....either way

6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Someone mentioned, what about your neighbors or co-workers. Most civil folks live or work peacefully next to each other regardless of beliefs. I have very politically active neighbors who seem to be more withdrawn lately. I have been feeling unsettled lately. My commute to work is via the interstate and lately I have been seeing folks on the overpasses with signs. It is making me think that one day they will make their way onto the highway.

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yup.

Yup.

Their readiness is not my business, but there is no evidence that they are concerned. Rural is a nice place to be for this go 'round.

GOG, oldawg, Yard Dart and 6 others like this.
  8. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Or start dropping rocks.

Have an alt-route home via surface streets not near the Hood?

Lucky, I have to take vacation every year (10 days away from the workplace) - some oddball law because of the IT work I do. Taking mine off in Nov. Surprise.

Our neighbors are Polish - hate commies with a passion.
    Other side, all from the PI and wicked gardeners - their greenhouse is a thing of beauty. .

STANGF150, GOG, mysterymet and 10 others like this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Poland got it hard.
    Thats why you can't expect peace with commies even when you have a peace treaty.
    I'm preparing to make a crap load of money. Make $800 to a $1,000 selling old 22LR ammo, at least $500 selling 5.7x28 ammo, several more hundred from reselling 9mm ammo, several hundred from reselling 5.56 ammo. Few thousand selling guns, thousand or so on AR parts and uppers I'm not using.
    Don't be buying unless you want to be screwed. I'm doing the screwing so I know how bad it is out there.

GOG, Oddcaliber, Gator 45/70 and 4 others like this.
  10. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

I'm taking up the food storage. I bought a dehydrator to dry apples, veggies, and make fruit leather from the berries.
    I still think it's on, no matter who they claim won the election.

GOG, mysterymet, Gator 45/70 and 5 others like this.
  11. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Nope. Normal routine around here.

No radio, no TV.

12. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Download the Waze app. It's got a live traffic map with road alerts that people update as things happen. My nephews in So Cal use it to avoid accidentally driving into street protests when they're out and about.

13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Going through an inventory and reorg as a result of having nearly needed to evacuate. Was already pretty well prepared for a bug in. Am evaluating first aid and moving more into trauma items like IBD's. quick clot, sutures, etc..

Have never shared much of my political thoughts on social media, but at the same time I will not cease to fly the US Flag or the Thin Blue Line. I live across the street from a large High School and Middle School complex and our cul de sac was used a LOT for people turning around when schools were operational, so I'm sure the flag haters already know.

Keeping in contact with my neighbors, but not directly concerning the expected riots and looting. A few of us have talked about community defense if needed and have a general plan. Need to check the batteries for my Motorola IDEN phones and make sure they still hold effective charges as they would be used for comms. Only two unknowns in the neighborhood concerning loyalties, both of which are teachers.

I telecommute and only go out as needed, and even there am on the fringes of the metro area and have a Sheriff that is willing to stand behind the citizens.

I'm a day person, the Mrs is a night person, so one of us is almost always awake. Puppy is our alarm system.

Pushing up plans for video surveillance, mostly to document encounters for legal purposes later. Have also reviewed Oregon laws regarding lethal use of force for the defense of myself, others, and property. Fortunately we, as of yet, have no obligation to retreat and the moment s single blade of grass is disturbed I can use force to defend my property.

I have also been looking at ways to better secure my back yard. We have a "good neighbor" fence that would be very easy to compromise. I'm looking at fencing I can use to reinforce by securing it at the 4x4 posts (held down by a 2x4 screwed to the existing post) and along the top and bottom rails. It won't turn it into a security fence but would slow people down enough to allow for a response.

My AR mags are now in 50 cal cans so I can pre-position or move quickly if needed. All firearms have been cleaned and inspected as of a few weeks ago as routine maintenance. Just upgraded the optics on a few for CQB purposes.

14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

@Motomom34 , my Patriotic Attire will be waiting till the middle of the day nov.3rd, then it's my old winter camo uniform, pads, vest, armor, mag carriers, and helmet with NOD's fully charged and ready to rock!

We are in a pretty good spot as far as security goes, nobody would bother coming here unless they had a specific person targeted, but I won't actually be here if that happens, I got other sneaky plans. As far as the neighbors go, most are in their 80's and while some are well armed, most are too frail to be of much use except to pass out the ammo and hand me a spare Garand. The Captain has his game plan and is well supplied for several days, so were not worried there!
    We figure things will pop off at the state capital and surrounding area which is easy enough to contain inside the city, and as long as it stays there, things should remain tame! It's Portland where things will go fult zoot nuts, and I got friends around there who might need help! it's not a question of IF its only HOW BAD, and how do we respond! other then that, it's survival as best we can, same as usual!

GOG, Oddcaliber, Gator 45/70 and 9 others like this.
  15. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

heard tell ya want a minimum of 11 weeks of food???

16. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Hard wired the MBT for the Generator.
    Redid the Pump House.
    Cleaned up a pass through 200 amp breaker box and secured with pad lock.
    Get the surgery out of the way and try not to damage anything else.

17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

And that means do it now. March was a trial run IMO. During Covid shelter in place, we were still able to go to the store and work (if essential) but when the protests/riots started, curfews began. I recall one evening a few days after George Floyd was killed and I went to Walmart after work. People were doing their after work shopping and the store announce, "we will be closing in 10 minutes". Walmart closed at 6 pm because of safety concerns. I believe we will be seeing curfews, stores refusing to open and highways impacted.

18. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Not much to do here as far as preparing for the election's aftermath...or the lead-up to it, for that matter. The only neighbors that might cause any sort of problems have very young children and I don't see them putting themselves in a situation where harm could befall them.

Fuel prices have dropped a bit, so maybe get a couple of more drums stored...ya know, just in case...and have 8' chainlink and rolls of barbed wire that can be readily installed if conditions warrant...but wait and see is the mantra on that. :)

GOG, Oddcaliber, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  19. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

And don't forget beer

20. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Good point Moto.

I had planned to deliver my ballot to the elections polling place on Nov 3. Thought a little about the aftermath and we already have an escape to BOL which is pretty well stocked with freeze-dried food and other supplies.
    But your post now has me wondering.

What if civil disturbances lasts for months, interrupting normal supply routes?
    Could we be better prepared?
    We have a number of additional preps at the primary residence. Should we also bring those? If civil disturbances do not materialize, we can always bring them back. We're retired so no worries about having to show up at a job.

Thanks for the thought-joggle.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7