Area denial

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by oil pan 4, Nov 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Because a barbed wire fence just doesn't get the point across to some people.

I have super flimsy stamped sheet metal gates that are ready to buckle under their own weight.
    Or your typical ranch gate movable fence sections where you have 3 or 4 lengths of barbed wire connectedto a stick held in place with a fence post on one end and loops of barbed wire at the other. Those are fine for inside the outer perimeter. I have at least one of these at the road.

For now I'm leaving the flimsy gates open and ranch gates inplace incase there is a grass fire so the fire department can get in, at least until I get the weeds chopped back.

I'm thinking remake the gates out of galvanized fence posts, rebar, pump drive shaft, just junk laying around.
    Then put hedgehogs on a chain inside the gates, let the grass grow high enough to cover them in that spot.

2. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

fabricate yer own HESCO bastions :D :D

plus decorative stuff n things on either side of em ;) ;)

plus a 10 foot moat behind em [winkthumb] [winkthumb]

Zimmy, chelloveck and Sgt Nambu like this.
  3. duane

duane Monkey+++

Has anyone tried filling the IBC water containers with sand? The ones on a pallet with wire cage surrounding them and a 275 gallon liner. The clean ones run about $75 here and I have been offered ones that have held chemicals or plastic pellets for free. They are roughly 4 foot cube.

DuxDawg and sec_monkey like this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

In VERY crude terms, sand will be twice as heavy as water, which means the forces on the bottom of the sides will be twice as high as with water and might crack thru. (Yes, sand can behave as a fluid under some conditions, as when shaking while being moved.) Maybe twice the forklift to move 'em?

sec_monkey likes this.
  5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I'm with ghrit on this one. The plastic may not make adequate containment for the sand mass, and what may be installed by forklift, may be removed by forklift.....albeit under aimed small arms fire in a WROL environment if the obstacle is appropriately sited and installed.

sec_monkey likes this.
  6. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Ok, I'm interested in barriers.
    To ask a dumb question, what are hedgehogs?

sec_monkey likes this.
  7. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

IBC tote will hold sand just fine if you don't move it after filling it.
    I have a series of "tanglefoots" in the woods behind the house and these have been way more effective than the barbed wire. Just wire, paracord, fishing line, steel cable and anything else similar I had lying around wrapped between trees, balled up and anchored down, and loops hanging from branches.

sec_monkey and ghrit like this.
  8. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]
    Something like this?

[​IMG]
    or like this?

sec_monkey likes this.
  9. chelloveck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Czech hedgehog - Wikipedia

10. Altoidfishfins

Thank you Chell. Pretty formidable obstacle. They appear simple to make with three pieces of angle iron.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Ganado and sec_monkey like this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Something like option 1 but with a little more distopian, some barbed wire and other sharp edges.

GrayGhost and sec_monkey like this.
  12. chelloveck

I guess you could use this as a sliding gate......

[​IMG]

13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Park two old cars just inside the gate to either side like they were moved off the driveway there. Shoot the living eff out of them and then set on fire. Should keep most people from entering unwanted.

DuxDawg and GrayGhost like this.
  14. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

15. chelloveck

Neither.....just cruisin' through Google images....it seemed like the one that best suited the theme of the thread.

sec_monkey likes this.
  16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

One of the flimsy gates.
    20171108_171212.

Low profile tire and under carrige shredder.
    20171108_171146.

20171108_171046.

DuxDawg, GOG, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  17. Altoidfishfins

Stead_Trip_Late_Dec_14 010.JPG Stead_Trip_Late_Dec_14 010 (2).JPG Once read somewhere that pieces of tubing, steel or stainless, cut off at about a 45 degree angle and mounted upright (perhaps welded to a steel plate) would flatten a tire pretty much instantly.

The obstacles above look pretty nasty. The top one appears as though it would be difficult to back up in a vehicle once it had been run over.

I put up a steel tubing type cattle gate at the entrance to my property about two years ago. Previously there was only a heavy chain stretched between two wooden posts. One of the posts rotted off at the base and had to be replaced - twice. Third time I used a concrete-filled steel post (right side of photo).

Sturdier than the flimsy sheet metal gate shown above by OP4 (I'd replace it too), the steel tubing cattle gate could still be rammed with a pickup truck. But it is more of a deterrent than the chain was.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    GrayGhost and sec_monkey like this.
  18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

As of today I have about 110' of 6 inch well pipe to up grade area denial.
    The who knows how much 6'', 4" and 3" buried for horizontal delivery to watering points.

Altoidfishfins and sec_monkey like this.
  19. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I thought about burying angle iron in a way that if the gate were rammed it would come out of the ground and go under a vehicle and immobilize it. In front of the gate. Connected to the gate posts. I have considered a vehicle that would be parked on the property blocking the road.I thought about making it at an angle so it would roll downhill(light grade) to a stop blocking the road and be pulled back with a winch out of the way.

20. Altoidfishfins

Cutting torch, welder and a grinder could bring to fruition some really interesting ideas with that much material to work.

sec_monkey likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7