Ark. Dems' party chairman killed in shooting

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Conagher, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Conagher

Conagher Dark Custom Rider Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Ark. Dems' party chairman killed in shooting

Suspect also shot and killed during chase; motive for attack unknown.

[​IMG]

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - The 49-year-old chairman of the Arkansas Democratic Party died hours after being shot by a gunman who burst into the state party headquarters in Little Rock, police said.
    Bill Gwatney died four hours after the shooting near the state Capitol. The suspect, identified only as a 51-year-old man, was shot dead after shooting at officers near Sheridan.
    Witnesses said the gunman entered the party offices shortly before noon and said he wanted to see Gwatney about volunteering. Party officials said the man barged into Gwatney's office and fired three shots, then fled in a blue truck.
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript>dap('&PG=NBCPOB&AP=1089','300','250');</SCRIPT><IFRAME id=dapIf4Child style="WIDTH: 0px; HEIGHT: 0px" src="javascript:void(document.write('<html><head><title>Advertisement</title></head><body id=&quot;dapIf4Child&quot; leftmargin=&quot;0&quot; topmargin=&quot;0&quot;><script type=&quot;text/javascript&quot;>var inDapIF=true;window.setTimeout(&quot;document.close();&quot;,30000);</script><script type=&quot;text/javascript&quot;>\nfunction pr_swfver(){\nvar osf,osfd,i,axo=1,v=0,nv=navigator;\nif(nv.plugins&&nv.mimeTypes.length){osf=nv.plugins[&quot;Shockwave Flash&quot;];if(osf&&osf.description){osfd=osf.description;v=parseInt(osfd.substring(osfd.indexOf(&quot;.&quot;)-2))}}\nelse{try{for(i=5;axo!=null;i++){axo=new ActiveXObject(&quot;ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.&quot;+i);v=i}}catch(e){}}\nreturn v;\n}\nvar pr_redir=&quot;$CTURL$&quot;;\nvar pr_pos=&quot;&quot;,pr_ajx=&quot;&quot;;\nif((typeof(inDapIF)!=&quot;undefined&quot;)&&(inDapIF)){pr_pos=&quot;&pos=s&quot;;if((typeof(inDapMgrIf)!=&quot;undefined&quot;)&&(inDapMgrIf)){pr_ajx=&quot;&ajx=1&quot;}}\nvar pr_s=&quot;ads.pointroll.com/PortalServe/?pid=595549T71820080328012000&quot;+pr_pos+pr_ajx+&quot;&flash=&quot;+pr_swfver()+&quot;&redir=&quot;+pr_redir+&quot;&r=&quot;+Math.random();\ndocument.write(&quot;<scr&quot;+&quot;ipt type=\'text/javascript\' src=\'http://&quot;+pr_s+&quot;\'></scr&quot;+&quot;ipt>&quot;);\n</script>\n</body></html>'));" frameBorder=0 width=300 scrolling=no height=250></IFRAME><SCRIPT language=JavaScript id=prscrscr defer>var prhd4F5E6CE068BF49A1BE02FF8FF2459601='',przz4F5E6CE068BF49A1BE02FF8FF2459601=9999,prhi4F5E6CE068BF49A1BE02FF8FF2459601=0,prpi4F5E6CE068BF49A1BE02FF8FF2459601=0,proobct4F5E6CE068BF49A1BE02FF8FF2459601='';if(typeof(praui)=='undefined'){var praui='4F5E6CE068BF49A1BE02FF8FF2459601'}if(typeof(prajx)=='undefined'){var prajx=0}if(typeof(prids)=='undefined'){var prids='4F5E6CE068BF49A1BE02FF8FF2459601'}else{prids+=',4F5E6CE068BF49A1BE02FF8FF2459601'}if(!document.getElementById('prscript1')){var prss=document.createElement('script');prss.id='prscript1';prss.src='http://spd.pointroll.com/PointRoll/Ads/PRScript.dll?v=109&pos=1&init=0&delay=0&push=0&set=1&bye=1';document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(prss);}</SCRIPT>

Gwatney was a former longtime legislator who owned three General Motors car dealerships in and around Little Rock. Police spokesman Lt. Terry Hastings said there was no known relationship between Gwatney and the shooter.
    "He came in and went into this office and started shooting," Hastings said.
    "He said he was interested in volunteering, but that was obviously a lie," said Sam Higginbotham, a 17-year-old volunteer at the headquarters. He said the man pushed his way past an employee to reach Gwatney's office.
    By virtue of his position, Gwatney was a superdelegate to the Democratic National Convention this month in Denver. He declared his support for Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y., after the Arkansas primary Feb. 5.

Shock and prayers
    Before news spread of Gwatney's death, Clinton and Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama each had released statements noting they were praying for Gwatney.
    "Bill is not only a strong chairman of Arkansas Democratic Party, but he is also a cherished friend and confidante. Our thoughts and prayers are with Bill and his family today and we wish him a quick recovery," President and Mrs. Clinton said in a joint statement.
    And Obama said, "I was shocked and saddened to hear about the tragedy in Arkansas. We are all grateful for the quick action of law enforcement and quick thinking by Chairman Gwatney's staff, and Michelle and I are keeping him and his family in our prayers."
    National Democratic Party chairman Howard Dean said the shooting was a shock.
    "Our thoughts and prayers go out to Chairman Gwatney and his family and we pray for his full and speedy recovery," Dean said. "While the investigation of this shooting continues, and our primary concern remains with Bill and his family, we commend the courageous and speedy action of law enforcement officials in apprehending the suspect."
    Millie McLain, a reporter for the Sheridan Headlight newspaper, said the suspect's blue truck was turned sideways along Arkansas 46 northeast of Sheridan. Emergency crews were loading the man onto a Med-Flight helicopter.
    Moments before the Democratic headquarters shooting, a man with a gun threatened the building manager of the Arkansas State Baptist Convention headquarters seven blocks east. It wasn't known if the incidents were related.
    Dan Jordan, the denomination's business manager, said the building manager asked the man what was wrong and that he said "I lost my job."

Capitol lockdown
    The state Capitol was locked down for about an hour until police got word the shooter had been captured, said Arkansas State Capitol police Sgt. Charlie Brice.
    An impromptu vigil at University Hospital drew Gov. Mike Beebe and a number of state legislators who had worked with Gwatney.
    "He's in very critical condition. The family is doing the best they can. They're shocked like the rest of us," said Sen. Bobby Glover, D-Carlisle.
    <TABLE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 15px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 5px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="1%" align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    House Majority Leader Steve Harrelson, D-Texarkana, was at the state Capitol for a news conference on crime and that he didn't know of anyone who would want to harm Gwatney.
    "You never think of something like this happening here in Arkansas," Harrelson said.
    Rep. Janet Johnson, D-Bryant, started to cry when she talked about Gwatney.
    "This is like something you would see in New York or Pennsylvania or California, but not here," Johnson said.
    Beebe, a Democrat who served with Gwatney in the Legislature, had been on a flight to Springdale in northwestern Arkansas but returned to the Capitol after hearing about the shooting, Beebe spokesman Matt DeCample said.
    Gwatney served 10 years in the state Senate. Gwatney was Beebe's finance chairman during Beebe's run for governor in 2006.

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

adios chairman

3. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Some actions have Unintended Consequences. Politicians and their associates in crime should beware!

4. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

The guy was on anti-depressants, why am I not surprised?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7