1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Arkansas veterinarian operates on dog that ate 23 bullets

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by stg58, May 9, 2015.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

Few rounds of .22 or 9 MM but 23 rounds of .308? Wow !:eek:

Arkansas veterinarian operates on dog that ate 23 bullets - Yahoo News
    MOUNTAIN HOME, Ark. (AP) — An Arkansas veterinarian has kept a dog from going out with a bang after the animal ate 23 live rifle rounds.

Benno, the 4-year-old Belgian Malinois, had surgery last week to remove the .308 caliber ammunition from his stomach, The Baxter Bulletin (Dog eats 23 live rounds ) reported.

Owner Larry Brassfield said Benno has eaten socks, magnets and marbles, but he didn't expect the animal would bother a bag of bullets by his bed. Brassfield and his wife realized Benno needed medical attention after the pet vomited up four rounds.

Veterinarian Sarah Sexton at All Creatures Animal Hospital removed 17 rounds from Benno's stomach but left two in his esophagus, which the dog was allowed to discharge on his own.

"This is something they certainly did not cover in school," Sexton said. "I've had dogs eat things before, mostly stuffed toys. Once I had one swallow a hearing aid, but I think this takes the cake."

Brassfield said he won't leave ammo lying around anymore but isn't optimistic that Benno will stick to dog food.

"You can baby-proof a house," Brassfield said. "But I don't think it's possible to Benno-proof a house. Lord knows, we've tried and failed."

Marck, Tully Mars, Yard Dart and 5 others like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

That can't be a Dog.... Sounds more like a Goat......
    Tully Mars, wnn, stg58 and 2 others like this.
  3. Mike

Mike Ol' Army Sergeant Monkey

take one if the surviving rounds and remove the possibility of it happening again
    stg58 likes this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Let him die if that dog is that bent on suicide
    Mike likes this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

And he chewed them!
    Glad he didn't eat any pork&beans, He could have taken out a wall !
    Cruisin Sloth, wnn, kellory and 2 others like this.
  6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

That would make a fierce guard dog!! Bark, growl, and shoot intruders!!
  7. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

I want that dawg..
    stg58 likes this.
  8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

" yes, officer, this is all we found of the intruders. ....well these and the blood stains. We're not sure how many there were, it seems benno here, ATE 'EM guns and all!!:eek:"[LMAO]
    wnn and stg58 like this.
  9. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I'm not sure the Monkey range officer would have allowed this... might have been injurious to the dog as well as by standers...;)
    stg58 likes this.
  10. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

I am glad the dog is good. I can not see how this dog is trying to commit suicide, imo he is just another silly dog doing silly dog things.
    wnn and stg58 like this.
  11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

My goodness. I once had a friend's malamute over for the day while they went away, and he ate a hole in my refrigerator door to get to the lunch meat. In retrospect, I thought it was nice of him to leave a single slice in the package for me. This Benno, however...is having difficulty differentiating food from ordinary solid objects. Maybe if the owner got him a steady supply of doggy bones for his teething, he might not eat everything in the house. LOL

vonslob, Yard Dart and Mike like this.
  12. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Must have used the wrong lube when loading his ammo--lol. Dog thought it was food.
    Marck, vonslob and Mike like this.
  13. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

A Rhodesian Ridgeback WILL eat lard impregnated patches. A fact I know first hand.
    vonslob and Mike like this.
  14. Mike

Mike Ol' Army Sergeant Monkey

Dawgs will be dawgs
    vonslob likes this.
  15. wnn

wnn Guest

ROFFLMAO. gotta love a dog. ..glad the pups ok & not armed anymore. Made me spit beer outa my nose readin that article tho..
    vonslob likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary