Arkansas WWII veteran, had this to say to the younger generation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yard Dart, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Arkansas WWII veteran, 99, had this to say to the younger generation

A 99-year-old Arkansas World War II veteran who was presented with a series of medals this week has a bit of advice for the younger generation: “Stay in school,” and “Come out with the idea of serving people.”

Sergeant First Class Thomas Franklin Vaughns – an airplane mechanic with the Tuskegee Airmen who also served in the Korean War – made the comments to Fox 16 on Wednesday following a ceremony in Pine Bluff honoring his military career.

“Stay off drugs that’s number one. When you have an opportunity to go to school, stay in school,” he told the station. “And when you come out, come out with the idea of serving people.”

[​IMG]
    Thomas Franklin Vaughns -- a Tuskegee Airman mechanic -- was presented with a series of medals this week for his military service, which included involvement in World War II and the Korean War. (KLRT)

Sen. John Boozman, R-Ark., was among the officials in attendance Wednesday to present medals to Vaughns.

He received replacements of four medals he had lost – the Honorable Service Lapel Button, World War II Victory Medal, Good Conduct Army Medal and American Campaign Medal-World War II – and one had not gotten until this week: the National Defense Service Medal, for his involvement in the Korean War, according to the Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.

"We all know about his great career in the military, going off at a young age to serve his country, willing to do whatever he was asked to do," the newspaper quoted Boozman as saying during the event. "Then he came home and, like the greatest generation, rebuilt the country."

Vaughns told Fox 16 that his secret to living a long life is avoiding smoking and alcohol.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I like that man, wish I could meet him.

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner, Meat and 2 others like this.
  3. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Folks that reach ages like him and older all have one thing in common. They’ve never ridden in a hot-air-balloon. :whistle:

4. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Balloons weren't made for ridin' .

Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  5. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

In all seriousness though he’s amazing. Much respect to him.

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and SB21 like this.
  6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

True , the whole Tuskegee group had an amazing track record for their time .

Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  7. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

For all time, sez me.

8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

We need to listen to our old vets, they have seen and experienced so much. We can and should learn from them. The WWI vets are pretty much gone now, soon the WWII vets will all be gone too.

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner, Meat and 2 others like this.
  9. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

The problem with today's youth is that they do not know what War is. His advise will, I feel; fall on deaf ears.

That said... What a wonderful role model he would be for our youth, if only they were listening.

10. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

only thing I reacted rather negatively to was the school part...

our current public school system in most states and places seems bent on teaching hatred of America

and what it has stood for in the past...

Meat, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  11. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

No smoking and drinking? next, he will mention no women! I don't know about this guy. Our schools are just indoctrination centers.
    I talk to high schoolers and college students and the lack of knowledge is scary. I bet the current history books are a hoot.

Meat likes this.
  12. PoppaJ

PoppaJ Monkey

I bought a couple of items at an estate sale with the total coming to $13, I handed the young girl (high school age) at the check out desk a $20 bill. She took the bill and called for her Mother to come over.Mother showed up and I heard the young girl ask "How much do I give him back?" She couldn't even use the calculator on the desk in front of her. Sad, very sad.
    l

Gator 45/70 and Seawolf1090 like this.
  13. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

But I'd bet she could quote the life histories of various activists and entertainers!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7