Arken Optics

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by 3M-TA3, Dec 11, 2021.

Tags:
  1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

2022 is the year I'm branching into long range marksmanship. I need to round out my skills and also see the defensive need to be able to "reach out and touch somebody" even in my current suburban environment. In my search for gear within my budget I ran across some videos about the Arken 4-16 and 6-25 SHA series scopes. The reviews and budget price, $400 and $450 respectively were both intriguing but seemed too good to be true. Then I ran across the reviews by Rex Tibor, author of Sniper 101 who can shoot to back it up and also trains as a contractor for .mil.

I decided to pull the trigger on the 6-25 scope and so far it's been everything I've seen in the reviews. It looks and feels like it's a top tier scope. The turrets are just perfect in feel, smoothness, and most importantly repeatability with top tier tracking error. Glass is much better than expected, though with a few small compromises compared to scopes costing five times as much.

The scopes are better suited to precision shooting due to fine reticle, but does have partial illumination that makes it doable for tactical and general purpose usage. My intent with this scope is precision long range, which is why I went with the 6-25 version. The 4-16x version would otherwise likely be the better choice

Scope test mounted on a Savage 110 Tactical Desert to give an idea of the size.
    upload_2021-12-11_14-27-34.

upload_2021-12-11_14-28-23.

Comes with:
    • Manual
    • Zero stop wrench, but is a standard hex size if you lose it
    • Sun shade
    • Bikini style lens caps
    • Lens cleaning cloth

What's great:
    • Tremendous value. Compares with scopes in the $2k USD and over class and even some at >$3k USD.
    • Well made, solid, and beefy. Rated for 50 BMG.
    • Turrets compare with the very best
    • 34mm tube gives a lot of MOA adjustment.
    • Optics are on par with much more expensive scopes
    • Comes in MOA and MIL models.

Compromises
    • Sunshade not threaded so no ARD. Then again, this scope is primarily designed for precision as opposed to tactical applications.
    • Eye box is small at 25x, but still very usable
    • Dims slightly (as expected) from about 16x on.
    • Illumination is limited to the central cross hairs.
    • At 36.6 ounces and 14" long without sun shade it's pretty hefty. The "smaller" 4x14 is only one ounce lighter at 35.6 oz.

I bought the accessory combo pack on a Black Friday deal. The kit comes with flip up lens caps, 34mm rings, sand bag, scope level, and throw lever. All are nicely made and work well.

The rings are high value, beefy, and STANAG compliant. STANAG is an extension of the picatinny system that allows for more surface contact and results in a stronger mount. They have a smooth finish inside and lined up perfectly with no lapping required. Mounting hardware is the same for base and ring and uses Torx screws, with tool and extra screws provided. A nice touch is that the torque specs are printed on the rings. Too bad they only make them to fit their 34mm tubes and not other sizes. At $60 USD they compare with rings in the $150 USD range.

This picture shows themarkings on the rings - tube size, height and torque. BTW these are the low height which was perfect on this rifle providing a fat quarter inch barrel clearance. You can also see the STANAG shelf in the gap above the picatinny rail that came with the rifle. That rail will be replaced with a Warne STANAG replacement as soon as the 20 MOA version is back in stock.
    upload_2021-12-11_14-39-53.

My blather aside, here are some reviews:

The 4-16 version compared to other scopes. Note the surprising comparison to the S&B in harsh lighting near the sun

Cyclops is entertaining, but he is no nonsense and tortures the scopes he reviews

A comparison to the more expensive but still high value Vortex Venom. Optical quality is not even close.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    Bandit99, oldawg, Brokor and 4 others like this.
  2. Dannyboy53

Dannyboy53 Monkey

Nice looking set-up!

3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

What Caliber didja get into?
    Don't worry/bother with the -20 mount, plenty of adjustment in stat scope, and it's the correct way to range your shots!
    Sun Shades are easy to make, pick up any Non shiny pair of Black Pantyhose and using a tin can and soldering iron, trace the can around the panty part and vola, instant sun shades. Have some one help you stretch it out over your objective and fasten with a couple stiff rubber bands, you can add a couple of layers if you need extra glare reduction too!
    Be interested in this brands performance!

I discovered the old ART-II Leatherwoods are available to civilians now days, and went that route with my DMR, no regerts with that setup, it's every bit as good as the Mil issued optics, and better then a lot of the high end optics!

4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Thanks! It's a work in progress that's just getting started. I'll do a write up on the what, why and how later on this winter.

Cruisin Sloth and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I dig that ARD tip!

6.5 CM on this one. I know, the "Manbun" seems to only be exceeded by those who think it's all that only by those who are tired of hearing about it. I'm not in either camp, but it's effectively a 6.5x55 wearing different pants and you know how much respect I have for that round. Hard to believe but after 500 yards it outshines the 308 for effectiveness and the 140 grain bullets are supersonic out to 1300 yards compared to 1000 for the 175 gr 308's.

I also bought a 110 Timberline in 280 AI for a bit more energy. Again at longer ranges it compares well with the 300 WM since it's almost the equivalent of the 7mm RM, just uses a lot less powder and barrels get twice the life.

6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Kool...Waiting on a review !

3M-TA3 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Those are intriguing and a lot less expensive than I expected! Very informative web site. You go with the 2x10 for DMR duty?
    Leatherwood ART Rifle Scopes - Hi-Lux Optics

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

This spring at the earliest on that. I figure by then I will have recovered enough from my covid shot and will also have a surgery behind me that will impact my right arm that I can get my mechanics in order.

I can already tell you that the optical portion exceeds expectation, even with all the positive reviews. Mechanically, I don't see any way to improve regardless of $$$. Of course, use will tell the tale.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Nope, went with the M-1200 ART -II, with the .308 I can stretch it easy enough to 1400 yards, and yes, I can cheat the scope dope to get that extra reach this rifle is capable of!
    PXL_20210327_035522206.

Gator 45/70, SB21 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Beautiful setup! What accuracy are you getting beyond 1,000 yards and what load are you using? I'm curious since 308 usually goes subsconic at about 1,000 yards and the transition typically causes a mild trajectory change along with some instability.

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and SB21 like this.
  11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I'm using a custom hand loaded Bronze tungsten cored solid of 175 grain blown out to just about 2700+ FPS. We're supersonic to just past 1180 yards before going transonic, they have a very high sectional density and there fore, also a very high B.C. of 730, roughly the same as the 7mm Rem mag! If I do my part and correct for the drop properly, this is a 1600+ yard load! Part of the secret to this performance is the barrel, it's a custom made, air gauged and hand lapped 1-9 3/4 twist 4 groove, with hand lapped chamber and muzzle crown! The rifle it's self is a blue print built FN/FAL with a billet steel upper and forged alloy lower, custom gas system with hardened melonited piston, polished super super smooth! The bolt was forged and then the rails were arc welded before being machined down to ultra tight tolerances and then hand lapped in with the reciever, took about 4 months work to get it shooting, but shoot it do!
    Accuracy wise, this rifle and this load off the bench is a .4" Max dispersion at 100 meters, or roughly a 8 inch natural dispersion at a 1200 ish! To put it another way, I can pick you off at max range and call the shots, and out to around a grand, can hit you at a dead run, cold bore!

This matches the M-21 almost exactly, with my range being a bit further, and natural dispersion a bit less, almost entirely due to the superior MIL.1913 mounting system!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Nice looking scope! And if Rex says it's okay, then it surely is.
    Along the lines of accuracy, try Alco Bullets at some point.
    DSC00785.JPG

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Wow, some of those have G1 BC's over 0.9! Not badly priced either, especially considering current ammunition costs. I'll keep an eye on them for the new 6.5 line they are introducing.

Rex's opinions have a lot of weight with me since he walks the walk and I like his objectivity and methodical approach. I have a lot more trust in his reviews than the majority of the others on YT. It's not a coincidence that everything in this project so far passes his sniff test.

Brokor, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  14. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

Little hard to find that ammo? Dicks sporting goods has it where I'm at but you can only buy 2 boxes per day.

I'm looking to update my scope right now. I'm looking for something that works in low light, dark, etc. Something that feels like you are cheating...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Thanks for the info! I didn't buy the rifles until I found ammunition - "ammoseek is your friend". Price was stupid, but in today's world there is not much choice. I'm starting with 100 rounds of Hornady Match 140 ELD, and after that will reload.

Gator 45/70, enloopious and Ura-Ki like this.
  16. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

Local stores and random had $50 for a box of 20rds. Dicks was $32 and $30. They have 2 different brands.

I will check out ammoseek. Showmehunting is a scam. Don't buy from them.

Cruisin Sloth and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Good to know! I haven't been in a Dick's since they destroyed a bunch of "evil rifles" a few years back to make points with the anti's. In the past during ammo shortages their employees (at least out here) would buy it before it hit the shelf and then resell at a markup. Just not my kinda folks unless they have changed their ways.

BTW ammoseek is also good for sourcing reloading components, though hazmat always sux.

1. AgentPickle
  2. Bandit99
  3. Oddcaliber
  4. HK_User
  5. oil pan 4
  6. oil pan 4
  7. M118LR
  8. M118LR
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7