Army's ban on dreadlocks, other styles seen as offensive to some African-Americans

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stg58, Apr 8, 2014.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

Simple solution if they want to play lumberjack they will have hold up their end of the log.

[​IMG]

Some see bias in Army's ban on dreadlocks, other black styles - CNN.com
    Washington (CNN)
    -- The U.S. Army's new ban on many types of ethnic hairstyles has African-American women who wear their coifs in dreadlocks, braids and cornrows in a twist.

The Army's regulations stipulate such guidance as hair "must be of uniform dimension, small in diameter (approximately ¼ inch), show no more than 1/8 (inch) of the scalp between the braids."

Dreadlocks "against the scalp or free-hanging" are banned. "Unkempt" or "matted" braids and cornrows are also considered dreadlocks and "are not authorized," according to the regulations that were updated this month.

It's that type of language, words like "unkempt" and "matted," that read to some African Americans, as code for racial bias.

"These new changes are racially biased and the lack of regard for ethnic hair is apparent," Sgt. Jasmine Jacobs of the Georgia National Guard wrote in a White House petition she started in late March asking the Obama administration to reconsider the policy.

Currently, the petition has more than 13,000 signatures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike likes this.
  2. ditch witch

ditch witch resident bacon hoarder Site Supporter+

"It's that type of language, words like "unkempt" and "matted," that read to some African Americans, as code for racial bias."

How does unkempt, matted hair translate to racial bias? The nastiest, most matted dreads I've ever seen were on white dudes.

STANGF150, Mike, Dawg23 and 2 others like this.
  3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey Site Supporter

High and tight hair cut for all.

4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Yes...I could see how dreadies would work in the army...navy...marines...airforce...coast guard. They might just get a thumbs up in the FEMA Fusiliers though. :D

[​IMG]

Those damned commie pinko liberals shouldn't be so precious about it...perhaps they should just take a Dreadlock Holiday ;)

Motomom34 and Mike like this.
  5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Monkey

Makes it easier for an enemy to drag them to the ground and slit their throats. How's that for incentive to get a damned haircut!!

6. chelloveck

Rastas, may argue a freedom of religion case...seeking the same kind of religious exemption as Sikhs or Ultra Orthodox Jews...oh man...I can see this sliding down the slippery slope to Hare Krishna ponytails for men...the horror! :eek:

I Agree...a bounty of braided bangs swingin' free is a safety and health hazard, and makes sealing gas masks and wearing helmets something of a challenge. Treating scalp wounds through, and Applying field dressings over, several inches of dreadlocks is also not a recipe for good health outcomes.

7. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

Petition? Roight, Sah!! That'll fly.

Mike, chelloveck and tulianr like this.
  8. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

AR670-1 states the regulations clearly.
    When a person enlists in the U.S. Military,they sign a DD Form 4. It reads in part: Section C,9; I understand that many laws, regulations, and military customs will govern my conduct and require me to do things under this agreement that a civilian does not have to do; and Section C,9a: (3) Subject to the military justice system, which means, among other things that I may be tried by a military courts-martial and (4) required upon order to serve in combat and other hazardous situation.

People need to abide by the contract they sign and quit their belly- aching![2c]

Mike, Yard Dart, Mountainman and 3 others like this.
  9. ditch witch

ditch witch resident bacon hoarder Site Supporter+

I used to say that too (still d0) and invariably someone would pipe up "but then women wouldn't enlist!" Well cupcake, if she wants to be in the military bad enough, SHE WILL!

Dogfood, bagpiper, Mike and 2 others like this.
  10. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

Hair continues to grow. Want dreads? Grow them after discharge, says me.

11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

It ain't a beauty contest.

chelloveck likes this.
  12. chelloveck

Agreed!

Being required to go Brazillian when going commando may seem a little excessive....but if the army's payin', I'm stayin'! ;)

Edit: I can always wear a dread lock hair piece and a mirkin when I am off duty! :oops:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  13. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

OK I'm old and a half century removed from this hunt. But the image of me strolling past a chief bosun with my hair in dreds would be a prelude to a one sided "chat"(think Ward Bond with rabies and on meth) about me finishing my enlistment above the keel line. High and tight isn't about style. It's about function and hygiene.

14. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

What I suspect happened, is someone took an honest look at the Soldiers who cause disciplinary problems and found some common factors of appearance, including all of the looks (including tattoos) which are now verboten. If you think about it, many of these appearance styles say "look at me, I'm special" which often indicates a cluster B personality disorder, which is bad for good order and discipline.

15. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey Site Supporter

Those who whine about being offended when their hair do is called "unkempt" and "matted" need only spend a couple of months at sea or in the field without a good bath. Then have a few head lice or fleas that they are unable to get rid of due to the unkempt" and "matted" pile of crap on their head.

Yes, some sea going folks can remember salt water soap and at best a weekly tea cup bath in a Pullman Sink.

Torpedo juice was used on a daily basis to "Freshen" up and of course the hair was short and the beard was long.

YMMV

16. nkawtg

nkawtg Monkey

Here's how it should be: "While in the armed services there are no white, black, or brown soldiers, there are only soldiers"

STANGF150, HK_User, Brokor and 3 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7