ARRL Field Day in June

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by stg58, May 4, 2016.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

A good time to meet other hams and work contacts while testing your Ecom preparation.

Field Day is an annual amateur radio exercise, widely sponsored by IARU regions and member organizations, encouraging emergency communications preparedness among amateur radio operators. In the United States, it is typically the largest single emergency preparedness exercise in the country, with over 30,000 operators participating each year. Field Day is always the fourth full weekend of June, beginning at 1800 UTC Saturday and running through 2059 UTC Sunday.

Since the first ARRL Field Day in 1933, radio amateurs throughout North America have practiced the rapid deployment of radio communications equipment in environments ranging from operations under tents in remote areas to operations inside Emergency Operations Centers (EOCs). Operations using emergency and alternative power sources are highly encouraged, since electricity and other public infrastructures are often among the first to fail during a natural disaster or severe weather.

Field Day (amateur radio) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ARRL Field Day

ARRL Field Day is the most popular on-the-air event held annually in the US and Canada. On the fourth weekend of June, more than 35,000 radio amateurs gather with their clubs, groups or simply with friends to operate from remote locations.

http://www.arrl.org/field-day-locator

hitchcock4 likes this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

Yup, the club will be setting up on the side of a hill in the county seat, will probably operate round the clock on 40 meters and higher.

stg58 and hitchcock4 like this.
  3. hitchcock4

hitchcock4 Monkey

I think our club will operate at 10 meters and higher from 2:00 PM saturday to 2:00 PM sunday. My first time, but need to find out where I can properly fit in. Don't mind setting up if they need me.

stg58 likes this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Well, since my radio does 2 Meter and 70cm, I will not be hearing any you.
    Still. I'll leave the radio on.

5. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

@kellory Is the an IRL, or Echolink, linked Repeater in your area? You might catch a few Monkeys, that could chat, to you, via that...

6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I'm programmed to cycle through all local repeaters, on the bands I'm legal on as a tech. Radio will be on scan.

stg58 likes this.
  7. ghrit

Put the 2M national simplex calling frequency into the scanning rotation. 146.520 Might turn up something, might not.

stg58 and kellory like this.
  8. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

A suggestion for those with Tech licenses, check out a field day site and meet some hams and as long as there is a General license on up there you will likely be invited to work some HF contacts.
    Once you get the HF bug start studying for your HF tickets:)

Field Day Station Locator

BTPost, hitchcock4 and kellory like this.
  9. hitchcock4

hitchcock4 Monkey

@stg58 if I read that right -- then there only needs to be 1 General licensee -- the rest of us at the Field Day could be Technician class and still operate at 10m and 20m ?

Thanks

10. ghrit

That is correct. There must be a licensee at the transmitter when transmitting in the bands allowed. With a licensee at the machine, non licensed persons can transmit. Not too sure how far I'd want to stretch myself if the place is flooded with techs, all tuned in on lower bands on different radios ---. I don't think there is a legal limit to how many lower qualified persons one can supervise, but I believe there is a good case to be made for one on one at a time.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    kellory likes this.
  11. hitchcock4

hitchcock4 Monkey

Our amateur club is big enough that I think we will have plenty of General licensees around all day. They have people signing up for 2-hour shifts to make contacts on the different bands. See you on the air!

ghrit likes this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

The FCC decides if the Licensed Operator has Control over the Licensed Transmitter, with General Guidelines, on a Case by Case basis.... One Licensee, supervising multiple Transmitters is perfectly Legal, under some situations. I inspected a Marine CW/SITOR Station, once, where there was ONE First Class RadioTelegraph, Licensee on site, per shift, Supervising FIVE Third Class Radio RadioTelegraph Licensed Operators.... All of them were trained to Operate, from their positions, but the Frequency and Band changes were all automated, and the Operators were just running the Bugs, and Teletype Terminals....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7