At the end of the day this is what it is all about for me!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thunder5Ranch, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Complete silence other than the bugs, birds and frogs.

DSC03153.JPG

2. duane

duane Monkey+++

Good for you. Pond is filling up nicely, hope fish, frogs, plants, etc, that will soon be in it thank you for all the blood, sweat, work, and dreams that you put into creating it for them. Love to see the miracle of dreams and birth. New born puppies, newly built pond, both very unappreciated gifts from God with a lot of help being supplied by those of us here. Walk thru the woods here in New Hampshire, where still allowed, and find a place with a view and sit down on an old stone wall to rest and enjoy the view. Don't know who moved the rocks to build the wall a couple hundred years ago, he has been gone for a long time, but I hope somewhere in heaven he hears the thank you for doing it. Our memories on earth cease when we die, most of us will be forgotten in a few years, but our works, good and bad, and our children, good and bad, continue to exist on earth, some for hours, some for thousands of years. Hope that those of us that want to destroy the past history soon realize that all that we have today was created by some one or some thing, even those that don't believe in God realize that it had to come from somewhere, and reflect on the baby being thrown out with the bath water.

Old friend had a saying on the wall, No one is worthless, if nothing else they can be used as a bad example of a man. Problem I run into is how many bad examples do we need in this world?

Have a flood pond across the road from my house built in the 1950's. Love to go over there in fall and sit on dam with dog , watch sun come up and ducks and geese take off , Noise of geese "talking to each other" , colors of trees changing and of clouds, wild motion of birds running across water to get aloft, peace, quiet, truly a gift from God. You will soon have the ability to do the same with the additional benefit of knowing that your efforts helped make it all possible. All of Gods creatures thank you for your efforts even if they don't do so in words. Wish the da** greenies would quit passing laws and destroying lives and instead build a pond or plant a tree. Well they say that those who can't do, teach, and I guess those that can't really enjoy God's gifts to the fullest become environmentalists. I would rather grow tomatoes and a garden than stand on a street corner with a sign and scream at the passing motorists about the need to get back to nature. [grouphug]

Thank you for a beautiful relaxing picture of a your dream and a relief from all of the supposed "lies called news" being presented by the mass media. I haven't even watched the news in the last few days, clicking thru on Fox on computer is bad enough.

3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

You've earned it ,, enjoy it . It's looking great .

4. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

LOL still earning it :) The Contractor built a great dam...... He fell very short of my expectations in the other areas. The biggest was not stripping the top soil/Sub soil out of the North Arm down to the clay.

I have put 32 hours on the new tractor over the last 3 days stripping it down to the clay
    DSC03158.JPG

LOL have raised this area 2' from the end I took the pic from to 6' at the end where the tractors are with a 6' box blade! I put 8-10 inches down then go over it twice with Oliver and a 2 ton roller to compress it and repeat. Use the little kubota to scrape the ridges left from the box blade and pack it on the edges.
    DSC03162.JPG

Hit seepy springs in the North arm a couple of times and failed to notice them until the Bigger Kubota just suddenly sank to the frame. Oliver struggled to pull it out of this one.
    DSC03160.JPG

It does not look like much but when you start seeing the seepers, it is a real good idea to call it done and as deep as it is going to get there. Might get one more pass with the blade, will sink to the frame into liquid mud on the second :)
    DSC03100.JPG

Had to dig a ditch out of this pool in the North Arm. It has a live spring or two in it that started over flowing into my blade strips as I got lower.
    DSC03101.JPG

Life got much easier when the spring water had somewhere else to go :)
    DSC03107.JPG

The middle arm impresses me. There was 12 feed of gold clay where it is. So I had them mine the clay for the dam out of there creating the middle arm. When filled the water will be right up to the rim and 12 feet deep in the channel. DSC03113.JPG

Friend that flies one of the crop dusters told me that it looks like a huge Dick from the air and named the middle arm *The Dick* We are just gonna call it the channel LOL. Reopened the spring that they hit in the tip of the channel before the two big rains hit.
    DSC03116.JPG

When I was shopping properties in 2006/2007 to move to in 2006. Exactly two out 100 or so met my criteria. One of those criteria was that there had to be deep clay when I cored it 20 feet down. This is one of the areas I cored back then. The gold clay layer ranges from 10-12 feet thick in this area before getting into the red mix of clay and sand and finally a solid layer of sand stone that my coring equipment could not penetrate. So I knew exactly where to have them mine the clay to build the dam. 90% of the dam came out of this channel.

Talked to 20 excavating contractors to build it 3 refused to even bid on the job "Can't build a pond there, let alone a lake nothing but rock and sand 2-3 feet down!" The closest contractor and one of the best in the area........ " I don't think you can afford to pay us to build it." LOL Guess I have done to good of a job convincing the locals that I am dirt floor poor :) The Rest wanted $40,000-$60,000 to build it. So I went with the younger, much less experienced guy and his brother that bid it at $28,000. Not the best by a long shot and of the 20 the least likely that anyone else would have hired him for this job.

While he fell short in many areas mainly because I could not be out there to baby sit 10 hours a day for three weeks. I did baby sit the dam keyway being built and the core. And after that three time per day to make sure the dam specs I gave were being followed and the two deep bowls below the dam were exactly as I prescribed. (Went down to the solid sandstone in the bowls and then compressed 3' of clay on top of it. Got 4 more feet of depth below the dam doing that and the bowls relieve stress and wear and tear on the dam.

Anyway he built a Great Dam and followed the clay mine and bowl specs to the letter. And did well enough every place but the North Arm best words I can describe his lack of work with there are EPIC HALF ASSERY. One 10 hour day of dozer work would have finished the job. Instead I have spent 50 hours with a tractor and box blade finishing the job. He built a Great Dam ! :) The guy had never done a job this big and is better suited to smaller and less complex jobs like clearing road clearing and building and land clearing construction sites. He bit off more than he could chew here and did not realize it was going to take 3 solid weeks to finish the job. When I built Lakes of this size.......... the very first thing I did was scrape the entire lake bed down to clay and then build the keyway and dam.......... LOL if you get rain it dried out a lot faster and you don't have to race rain filling it up to get the top soil and sub soil scraped out. Then build the dam.... Ahhh well 50 hours with the box blade later with me doing the scraping the lake is done and can now accept a full load of water!

5. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I have not even glanced at the headlines since Friday all reading or watching the news does for me is make me made and more than a little depressed. Going to just stick my head in the sand, live my life how I want and Not cause any problems for anyone and if someone decides to bring me problems...... solve their problem for them in the most unpleasant way possible.

techsar, Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Neato Pop's, Did we put an aerator in the pond to oxygenate the water for the fishies?

Ura-Ki and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  7. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Shouldn't need one. But I am going to build a waterfall at the base of the........ err channel on the point with the deepest water with a 1200GPM pond pump I have left over from the landscape company days. When that starts circulating and splashing it make a lot of oxygen in the water and look cool as a bonus. LOL I have about a dozen pumps ranging from 150gpm to 1200gpm from the landscape company days that the company that bought the company didn't want. Think I might even have one big 2500gpm pump in the corner of the South barn. Mostly build ornamental ponds, artificial streams and did tree work. I liked doing the ponds and streams..... Dig, Shape, Liner, build some moving water feature or another Install the pump/filter/pipe/discharge and collect a $10,000-$50,000 pay day....... for ponds that ranged from 6x8 feet up to 1-5 acres. Hell I can build streams and water fall all around the lake and still have pumps left over. But only 3-4 big pumps to use 4 if I am remembering right and still have the 2500gpm.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7