Bartering your food

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Imasham, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

Howdy all...the house I moved into last year has a crabapple tree in the front yard and an apple tree in the back. Based on how things are going so far this summer I am going to have a stunningly bounteous harvest in a couple of months. I am already preparing my supplies to make applesauce and perhaps juice.

The issue is that I am going to end up with WAY more sauce and juice than I would typically use in a year. I could try selling extra at the local farmers market but I can't just have a table for one or two weeks...I have to have a table for the entire summer and I don't want to do that. I thought that a good idea would be to trade what I have for things I don't. The concept is pretty easy but what I am interested in hearing is whether anyone has done this? If so, what would you consider to be a good trade? Jar for jar? This could work except for items that don't typically come in jars like cheese or meat or milk. Approximate retail for approximate retail? This could work to except when some dolt starts mentioning "well your stuff is on sale now so I won't more". Maybe pound for pound?

There are good ideas and I would like to know what has worked for those who have done it.

2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Carefully on trades, some " Products" have more value. Say I wanted to trade you for your apples, and I am offering berries you won't find in your AO, the value of what I offer is more then the value of what you have, so an equitable trade would need to be negotiated out side a set price! Same thing in reverse, my offer could be less then yours, so we bargen for an agreeable value.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    chelloveck, SB21, techsar and 2 others like this.
  3. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

Fair enough...but I think it likely that I'll be trading locally for stuff I could have grown but did not.

4. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

5. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Hard Cider

Dont, techsar, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  6. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Don't forget apple butter...

7. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

And dehydrate some and seal 'em up.

Gator 45/70, chelloveck, Dont and 2 others like this.
  8. Serina001

Serina001 Monkey

I haven't did that yet.But I'd like to try .

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Witch Doctor 01 and chelloveck like this.
  9. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Talk to others about a Co-op table... 3-4 folks rent a table in a co-op name and sale over the year....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7