Bear's flint and steel

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by DarkLight, Jul 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Ok, it's been probably a year plus since I got the flint and steel kits from Bear and hadn't done anything with them. While I was packing my very unsurvivalist computer bag this morning I got to thinking, why don't I have one of them in my bag?

Well, I got the box out and realized my wife hadn't seen it yet so I opened the large one and took it out to show her. Showed her all the goodies that Bear packed as extras and then unwound the jute from the already flaked flint.

It's been a while since I've used a flint and steel (actual flint) but feeling all manly I decided to see if I could still get a spark...first time with this set. Wouldn't you know it, I GOT SPARKS! It helps knowing how to do it from the past but it was way cool being able to, literally, immediately get sparks from the kit.

@Bear, thank you for an incredibly fine crafted piece of equipment. I'll be teaching the kids (at least the older two) how to use it this weekend.

2. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Aloha @DarkLight, Glad it worked for you and you got sparks right off... It's fun forging those and rewarding to hear the stories... gonna try some new designs soon... great that you will be teaching the kids... pass those skills along... let me know if I can help in any way ;)

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

wagnerd and kellory like this.
  1. chelloveck
  2. chelloveck
  3. chelloveck
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Illini Warrior
  6. DKR
  7. Ura-Ki
  8. Aspiring_Caveman
  9. Coyote Ridge