Agriculture Bees - Bees - Bees - and More Bees

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Illini Warrior, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Every homesteader needs to be into bee keeping at some level. Honestly it's on my list, but haven't got to it as yet. The uncle and I have attended several meeting of the local bee keepers in the county so we have a good working knowledge of what we need but have yet to do it. We do have a couple of hives placed here from some contacts we made at the meetings but we need to get our own.

Ganado, Wild Trapper and HK_User like this.
  3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Too much time for me at this time, but I have new hive sets + preformed base wax + extractor + suits and the experience of several years of collecting swarms.

Maybe when I hit 85 I'll slow down some and keep bees again!

4. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

I got into it about 20 years ago...kept them a few years, they died out one bad winter and I put my stuff away until this year. Buddy of mine that I started with back when brought me a hive, and I've since added a couple of nuc's I bought for a total of three hive. I planted a small appple orchard about (40 trees) 6-7 years ago and last year had a lot of blossoms but almost no apples....so I knew it was time to get back with the program. Guess I'll be a small time keeper from now on because I REALLY like apples :D

5. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

I just have two hives, one is kinda old and large the other is just a new swarm from this year - so they are just in a deep hive body. I enjoy just watching them, the new hive is getting really busy, so I may soon need to add a super.
    [​IMG]

SB21, HK_User and Tully Mars like this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Tempstar and Wild Trapper like this.
  7. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Last week's catch, rather small swarm, but there is a queen in that cluster. I now have them in a regular hive body. Got the trap back out, also, have another trap out.
    IMG_0203.JPG

techsar, SB21 and TnAndy like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7