Best EDC Knife at Cabelas

Discussion in 'Blades' started by 3M-TA3, Jan 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I got a Cabelas gift card for Christmas, and have decided to use it towards an EDC knife. My budget is $150ish, but if I can get get the job done for less than all the better. Conversely if there is a compelling reason to spend more money then I'm all ears.

What in your opinion is the best EDC knife at Cabelas and what makes it the standout?

Motomom34 likes this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

What do you really need it for? Not why do you carry a knife, but what is your main use? Folder or fixed blade? (To say pocket stealthy or open sheath carry?)

3. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

yer in hostile territory @3M-TA3 :(

what are the restrictions in yer AO?

4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I'm looking for a folder. Uses include hunting, survival, and self defense.

I'm getting the hell out of Dodge to a free state this year or next at the latest, so effem on the restrictions.

Motomom34 and Bandit99 like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Remember that Sweet little Blade SgtNambu Had last time we all got together? That's one very nice blade and almost impossible to beat, especially the price! He posted it up in Motomom34's thread where her Kid was looking for a nice quality blade. JMHO
    I always carry that Gerber Torch II you guys saw, it's just to handy a blade not to carry, but it's a bitch to put a edge on because of the convex shape of the edges! You have to use a Belt sander to do it or go old school with a kitchen steel and strop![​IMG]

6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I read through that thread and a few others before posting. @Sgt Nambu certainly knows his knives! The Torch is intriguing but Cabelas doesn't carry it and I'm looking to use that gift card. Maybe as a second knife if I get the bug... I've had Gerbers since forever and have always kept an LST in my pocket since they came out with them. Great knives - light, sharp, and tough like their name (LST) and if I lose or misplace they are also inexpensive.

An interesting coincidence... We bought a new bed and one of the installers had forgotten his utility knife and whips out a nice SOG that had a tanto style blade (not the kiku and not at Cableas either) to open a few boxes. I complimented him and we talked knives a bit. A few days later I go to HRO to pick up an antenna, and my salesman whips out the exact same knife to open the box so we can inspect before I take it home.

7. oldbee1966

oldbee1966 Monkey+++

Someone is tryng to tell you something!

Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I advise you to get something cheap and learn how to use knives and find their weaknesses in the line of work you do .
    What you expect of a knife and some one else doing the same job will differ, due to one's hand size strength and muscle .
    You training and practice should define the knife you need .
    Also , IMO having an expensive knife I can't afford to loose, won't get used, the way I might an ordinary knife.
    I have found some $20. and less cheaper pocket knives that are spring assist ,I've gotten spoiled with over the thumb assisted more expensive ones.
    I'm rough on my knives and sometimes carve a burr off a piece of steel I'm working, or just plain cut tin can's open for making a shim out of the steel can .
    These are my EDC , but when it comes to hunting ,that's when I take my hand made and Bowie knife, the territory is much different out there , the demands are very different.
    The bowie is my primary defensive knife , along with being the first to acquire having to wade through heavy brush . It will process game well enough , but I have a hand me down that was my grandfather's, He made from a file , I would relegate to that task.
    I don't baton my knives but use a hatchet for processing wood as required .
    And I find it more efficient to use a saw for processing logs.
    And with the combination of several tools, they all last longer doing what they do best , and I am not nearly as worn out making do with a minimal amount of support. .

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

In your Locale, I would pay a visit to CRKT ( Columbia Knife and Tool) over in Tigard, they seem to have a mix of special stuff not in catalogs, and you might find something super nice! Use that gift card for some other needful things!

10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Good idea - too bad Bench Made doesn't have a factory store - they are located less than 2 miles away

sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Every one forgets Kershaw is just 2 exits up from Gerber, be a fun day and go visit all three on the west side, Lanthham Knives is out there too, over by Curtis-Wright!
    Or, head up to the Airport ( 113th) and visit Leatherman, they have a habit of handing out seconds, and "test" stuff, especially if Tim is in that day!

Yard Dart, sec_monkey and 3M-TA3 like this.
  12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

True story - my Dad used to pitch horseshoes with Leatherman's dad Ken. If you go out that way you need to follow up with a visit to the Danner factory. I sure wish they made boots in my size.

sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

LOL, TRUE! love me some Danners! I should pick up a new pair of Ft. Lewis boots, Man those are comfy!
    And LaCross is there too! Hell, every thing a feller is likely to need can be found right there in Oregon! Wife and I just got new MUCK boots before my latest trip!

sec_monkey likes this.
  14. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I have two old buck replaceable blade knives with three blades... and a leather carrier...

15. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I love CRKT ( Columbia Knife and Tool) knives and have a couple of them, good quality and priced fair. I'm looking at a little Shasta right now that has a double-locking system that I really like. I have its big brother also, the Rainier, somewhere around here... I have a Commander by Emerson but think the CRKT knives serve me just as well and a lot less expensive...

Should you move to Idaho, then you can stop in at the Buck factory in Coeur D'Alene...

EDIT: I wish I would have seen this Emerson in time for Christmas... I like Emerson quality and feel but really not crazy about their 'Wave' feature which opens the knife automatically when pulling it from your pocket. But, it's a pain in the butt sometimes so sometimes I take it off...I mean, with a bit of practice anyone can open damn near any knife with a flick of the wrist so... This 'Bulldog' goes for $235 on their site but probably $200 at some of the other locations
    Emerson Bulldog | Tactical Knife | 100% Made in the USA

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Ura-Ki likes this.
  16. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

Cabelas - $150 - For EDC - Either the Buck Bantam @ $19.99, or the Case Red Bone 3 blade Stockman @ $54.99, or the Victorinox Swiss Army Camper @ $29.99. Any of these would fill the bill as an EDC and don't appear too martial, but would fill that bill also if you do your homework. I'm partial to 3 bladed stockman style knives.The rest of the money would be spent on a Cold Steel tomahawk, meaning all blade requirements are met, and then whatever was left would go into Blazer .22 ammo. Of course that's just me, enjoy whatever you decide on and please share why you made your choice.

Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  17. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Loves a good Bowie, just ordered a D-2 tool steel hand made custom off sleasebay! Got it for $80 after winning the bid! Was originally listed 6 months ago @$225 and $25 shipping, got it with free shipping!
    [​IMG]

18. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

As a follow up here is my first knife costing over $35, and I indeed did get it at Cabellas - the SOG Aegis. The Aegis has been in production for a long time and for a good reason - it's a very well balanced and versatile EDC knife. It doesn't have the panache of the Kiku (which I'm still going to get), but it gets the job done. It's lightweight, thin enough to fit easily in a pocket for EDC, has a well designed pocket clip, and even a safety - which is nice considering it is spring assisted.

Here are a few pics I took this afternoon. I was using the knife to open potting soil and a few other things so it isn't pristine:
    upload_2018-3-11_19-14-57.

Note the well positioned lock release and safety. When the safety is up the knife is locked in place and can't open:
    upload_2018-3-11_19-16-10.

In hand so you can get an idea of size - the titanium oxide coated blade is 3.5" long and makes for a very good EDC size that's still effective for defense. The handle is also very comfortable, but I suspect the Kiku will be a bit more comfortable.
    upload_2018-3-11_19-19-8.

And finally closed. It had a very low drag shape to ensure it slides easily of of a pocket without getting hung up. I dig this knife - it won't be my last SOG!
    upload_2018-3-11_19-22-45.
    upload_2018-3-11_19-23-31.

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Nice looking knife @3M-TA3 looks like it fits your hand nicely. Never heard of a SOG.

sec_monkey likes this.
  20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

@Motomom34 - It's another one of those acronyms that have been popularized for some reason. "Special Operations Group."

1. Hanzo
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Matei
  7. Matei
  8. norseman
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: norseman, Mar 8, 2021, 3 replies, in forum: Blades
  9. Ganado
  10. Ganado