BF Goodrich Failure ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gator 45/70, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

These on my truck I had removed last week,Sidewalls were splitting out and the truck had developed
    a noticeable ''Death Wobble''even at 55 much less 70/75 on the interstate.
    Has anyone encountered this failure or perhaps can shed a light on these puppies?
    MFG'ed in 2015, I have about 61.5K on em'
    Judging from the threads another 10K I should have easily gotten!
    All 4 failed BTW !
    Thanks monkeys!!!

Tires 11-24-19 001.

Tires 11-24-19 003.

Tires 11-24-19 005.

Tires 11-24-19 008.

2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

One more

Tires 11-24-19 002.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I can't see enough of the tread to tell for sure, but that sort of cracking will result from underinflation for a long period. With 61K on that aggressive a tread, those shoes owe you nothing. I'd speculate that they really were not happy a interstate speeds, either. (Couldn't see the speed range code, but I'm betting a tiny bit on range K, L or max of M.)

arleigh and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

What? These are thru the local Ford dealership and the additional warranty was purchased,They did the rotation's ever 5 K

Ain't nuffin's wrong with the threads,I should have gotten another 10/20K easily,99.9% highway miles too.

Paperwork say's BF GOODRICH ALL-TERRAIN T/A JO-2
    LT275/65R18
    9004 36457

6.5 11-27-19 023.

6.5 11-27-19 024.

6.5 11-27-19 027.

5. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Underinflation can cause that, but I have to wonder if the rims weren't too narrow for the tires? That would cause excessive heating at the shoulders..

See a lot of TA A/T KO2 but usually they are changed because of uneven wear - mostly due to failure to rotate.

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

61 k miles. What is the warranty mileage on them?? I’ve heard a few others talking about some failures on BF tires. Just bought some for 1 of my trucks less than 10k miles ago. I’ll have to keep an eye on them for sure.

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Dunno. These are labelled JO. Couldn't find them on line in a short search. OP says they are dealer spec'd and installed, so I'll take the thought that they are the right size for the rims.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

They are billed as long life high mileage tires,I ran some on my Jeep,Never had a problem

That's correct,Same size as the factory Goodyears,I specified that I didn't want a larger tire to affect my mileage.

sec_monkey likes this.
  9. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Have you checked the front end alignment? The tires look worn (photo 3 of the series just above) on the 'outside' - which when I worked in a garage would indication a toe in situation.

10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I'll have them check it out, Pretty sure a dealership will never admit to anything they failed to do, I thought the wear was quite even ?

Oh added note,The service manager said he was shipping these old ones back to BFG,
    Pretty sure someone needs to too pro-rate me a little check...Like BFG?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    sec_monkey likes this.
  11. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Whoa @Gator 45/70 that does that date code read AT 11? If so that would be like Week 46 of 2011 .. and that would make them some old shoes and susceptible to environmental aging. That might explain the sidewall cracking.

I could be wrong but I think those tires are older than you think.

ghrit, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I have been running the BFG Mud Terrains for the last 30 years, never had any issues with them, especially if the truck they were on was less then perfect! I have also ran the all terrains on a few SUVs with out issue! I would say your probably ether running them at too high a speed, or they are/were under inflated for extended periods!
    Currently My Dodge diesel has about 55K on its Muds and its due for a new set, BUT, its getting a set of Interco Radial Boggers for the extra serious traction needed because of the trucks weight! I dont care about noise or ride quality, i need traction!
    Most folks I know have really awesome luck with Interco tires, as well as the BFGs as long as you take care of them!

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  13. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I run them on my jeep. I don't get great mileage out of them but they work well off road.
    I've heard of problems with certain sizes but never experienced anything like that.
    If you got 61k out of them you're doing good.

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Size is important, Just called my Tire guru, and he said the low pro sizes tend to have issues while the balloon's I run are damn near bomb proof! I usually run the 33X12.50X16.5's or the 35X12.50X16.5s with ZERO issues!
    I had one blow a side wall, but that was my fault, not the tires as I got into some nasty rocks and cut it right below the bead, blamo!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I did take a lot of pictures,I'll post some more in a minute.

VisuTrac likes this.
  16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Had one guy tell me this is the date 0715,Said 7th.day of 2015,Would this be the correct I.D.
    I know dating tires can be tricky at times.

Smiths 020.

VisuTrac likes this.
  17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Another one with the date?

Smiths 021.

sec_monkey and VisuTrac like this.
  18. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Seventh week of 2015... Not so old after all.

19. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

@Gator 45/70 I missed that. It is indeed the 7th week of 2015! In the 2nd picture I could only see the AT 11 in the DOT oval.

20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Ah,Thank You,7th week then,Friend down the street was close at 7th day, But that seemed odd to me?

sec_monkey and VisuTrac like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7