Bible Study a No-No but Tupperware Parties Okay

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, May 28, 2009.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

FOXNews.com
    Couple Ordered to Stop Holding Bible Study at Home Without Permit

Thursday , May 28, 2009

FC1
    ADVERTISEMENT

Pastor David Jones and his wife Mary have been told that they cannot invite friends to their San Diego, Calif. home for a Bible study — unless they are willing to pay tens of thousands of dollars to San Diego County.

"On Good Friday we had an employee from San Diego County come to our house, and inform us that the Bible study that we were having was a religious assembly, and in violation of the code in the county." David Jones told FOX News.

"We told them this is not really a religious assembly — this is just a Bible study with friends. We have a meal, we pray, that was all," Jones said.

A few days later, the couple received a written warning that cited "unlawful use of land," ordering them to either "stop religious assembly or apply for a major use permit," the couple's attorney Dean Broyles told San Diego news station 10News.

But the major use permit could cost the Jones' thousands of dollars just to have a few friends over.

For David and Mary Jones, it's about more than a question of money.

"The government may not prohibit the free exercise of religion," Broyles told FOX News. "I believe that our Founding Fathers would roll over in their grave if they saw that here in the year 2009, a pastor and his wife are being told that they cannot hold a simple Bible study in their own home."

"The implications are great because it’s not only us that’s involved," Mary Jones said. "There are thousands and thousands of Bible studies that are held all across the country. What we’re interested in is setting a precedent here — before it goes any further — and that we have it settled for the future."

The couple is planning to dispute the county's order this week.

If San Diego County refuses to allow the pastor and his wife to continue gathering without acquiring a permit, they will consider a lawsuit in federal court.

Click here to watch the full FOX News interview.

Click here to read the full 10News report.

Advertise on FOX News Channel, FOXNews.com and FOX News Radio
    Jobs at FOX News Channel.
    Internships At Fox News (Summer Application Deadline is March 15, 2007)
    Terms of use. Privacy Statement. For FOXNews.com comments write to
    foxnewsonline@foxnews.com; For FOX News Channel comments write to
    comments@foxnews.com
    © Associated Press. All rights reserved.
    This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Copyright 2009 FOX News Network, LLC. All rights reserved.
    All market data delayed 20 minutes.

2. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

How can they anybody that they can't have friends over
    for whatever reason .

It just another way to keep the people under control.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

It is not prohibited, it is taxed. Kalinorfia, you know --

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Yup, well Kalifornication needs the funds to pay for all the (how can I say this tactfully?) I can't, so: "illegals".
    It goes further every hour of every day...
    I can see IF the cars being parked there were causing some degree of problem for traffic or emergency vehicles, but YOU can pay to do what you want regardless of that, as long as the "Price is Right"?
    Nothing wrong there!

5. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Interesting interpretation of the county code.

hmmm...

6. The Expendable

The Expendable Bread and Circus Master

Can I play the Devil's advocate (no pun intended) for a moment? Are we hearing the whole story? There may be legitimate reasons to make them stop their Bible study.

For example, there is a church group near where I live that places loudspeakers outside next to the road and preaches to the neighborhood. The area they do this in has a mix of businesses and homes. If Pastor Jones' group was doing something similar in a deed restricted community, I can see the point of stopping them. Also, how many friends are coming to this Bible study? 20? 50? 100? Cars might be parked on neighbor's lawns or blocking the right-of-way.

On the surface it sounds like a violation of several of the Bible study group's rights, and I am on their side. I just wonder if there's more to the story.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7