Bill Cosby's thoughts...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by -06, Sep 12, 2011.

1. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Part of some thoughts he has about things, wc

I'm tired of being told that Islam is a "Religion of Peace," when every day
    I can read dozens of stories of Muslim men killing their sisters, wives and
    daughters for their family "honour"; of Muslims rioting over some slight
    offense; of Muslims murdering Christian and Jews because they aren't
    "believers"; of Muslims burning schools for girls; of Muslims stoning
    teenage rape victims to death for "adultery"; of Muslims mutilating the
    genitals of little girls; all in the name of Allah, because the Qur'an and
    Shari'a law tells them to.

I'm tired of being told that out of "tolerance for other cultures" we must
    let Saudi Arabia and other Arab countries use our oil money to fund mosques
    and mandrassa Islamic schools to preach hate in Australia, New Zealand, UK,
    America and Canada, while no one from these countries are allowed to fund a
    church, synagogue or religious school in Saudi Arabia or any other Arab
    country to teach love and tolerance..

2. beast

beast backwoodsman

im sorry but islam is the best reason ive ever seen for genocide
    at least the males...lol

tacmotusn likes this.
  3. -06

-06 Monkey+++

The women are just as deadly as the males--and they can hide more under those Berkas. When I see them my mind thinks "black trench coats"--what is under them.

4. beast

beast backwoodsman

yeah, some of them, but i have met some nice ones
    the problem is the women believe that peaceful religion bullsh*t
    and think its a good religion

5. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

Here I am again

Okay, I'll rise to the bait. I'm sure there are better things I could be doing with my time, but call it a compulsion.

Since there is no source mentioned for Bill Cosby's supposed comments concerning Islam, it is impossible to verify the veracity of them. I did however find some of his comments on Islam which are sourced.

While being interviewed about participating in a sitcom about a Muslim Family in the US:Would having such a show be enough to change people's minds about Muslims?
    Bill Cosby: It will put the truth out, and it will [get] each individual, if they watch the show, [to ask]: Am I a person who needs to change my attitude about [someone]? Was I a hater, and enjoying hating, and enjoying the fact that I really did not understand? That like an awful lot of racists, I didn't care to know the truth, I just enjoyed hating? In the Muslim religion and culture, it can be different [from what we believe], but it's what they believe in. If we take the good [from it] and the good works, it's all there and it's all about the same thing: Do good unto others.

A Muslim Cosby Show: Does Bill Cosby Think It Could Work?

In a Boston Herald article on the same subject, Bill Cosby said:
    “I think you could very well teach and people could understand. I do feel that whenever I have gotten to meet people who are coming from different countries that may have been Muslim, I do know that they say they love ‘The Cosby Show.’ And then they ask me, ‘You know why? Because it’s about family.’”

“If you hear philosophies that come out of the readings and the religions, some of these sayings are absolutely fantastic,” he said. “I remember a Muslim woman said to me . . . ‘There’s a saying: Trust in Allah, but tie up your camel.’ Now that’s wonderful! And I think everybody could have a good feeling about that.”
    Weasel Zippers » Blog Archive » Bill Cosby Says He Likes Katie Couric’s Idea to Combat “Islamophobia” With a Muslim “Cosby Show”…

While speaking to a vocational High School in New Jersey, Bill Cosby said:
    "Muslims are able to gain support and have strong influence on sectors of the community where the police and others can't.
    "I want my Christian family to hit the streets and duplicate what they've done."
    Bill Cosby - Cosby Envies Islam's Influence On The Black Community - Contactmusic News

Pardon me for saying so, but those sourced comments don't seem to gel with the non-sourced ones.

I'm not trying to start a fight about Islam, I'm just saying that hatred resolves very little. I'm not going to castigate Christianity for every nut case who does something wrong while professing a belief in Christianity. If we look at the fact that over fifteen thousand homicides were committed in this country in 2010, while Muslims total some two percent of the population, you're left with the realization that we have a whole lot of Christians right here at home that represent a greater threat to our life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness than do the Muslims.

I grew up as a back-woods kid in Georgia. My view of the world was pretty small, and my opinions reflected that. I was racist, because my family was racist and my friends were racist. When I was going to high school there, the white kids and black kids avoided one another by and large. It wasn't just one way - the black kids disliked us as much as we disliked them. The only time that black and white kids came together was to fight. I grew past that though. I left that little home town, traveled the world, met people, broadened my mind, and began to form my own opinions.

I mention this in order to say that I understand mindless hate. I also understand what it takes to grow beyond it. I was raised in a southern evangelical fundamentalist church, and when I was a teenager, I would have told you absolutely that Catholics were idolators and apostates, and they would certainly go to hell. I didn't know any Catholics, but that's what my pastor said, and that was good enough for me. I look back on that now, and cringe. I can't believe that I ever believed such narrow minded ignorance, but I did. I grew past that though. I broadened my mind by asking myself what I truly believed, and then I did a lot of research and soul searching to decide if that was what "I believed", or was it what someone had told me. I decided to flush most of what that little home town church had told me about religion, and actually think for myself.

I was in Beirut, at the airport, in 1983, as part of the Multinational Peacekeeping Force. The BLT bombing took a lot of good fellow Marines and Sailors on October 23rd of that year. To say I was a little bitter about the perpetrators would be putting it mildly. A group called "Islamic Jihad" claimed responsibility and, for a while, I actually believed that Muslims were indeed the bad guy, because they were Muslim.

Later, when I was able to put some perspective on it, I realized that the suicide bomber didn't kill my shipmates because we were Christian, they killed them because we were there, in the middle of a civil war, and we had become an active participant. We became an active participant when, on 19 September, the USS John Rogers and USS Virginia fired 338 five-inch rounds into the Shouf Mountains to assist Lebanese Army troops and their Christian Phalange militia allies. We were no longer "peacekeepers", we had chosen sides.

I was back in Beirut in 1984, on a hilltop in East Beirut, in Yarze, monitoring the endless ceasefire agreements. I say endless because rarely did any of them make it through two consecutive days. One of our jobs was to determine who was actually breaking the ceasefires, and report to the Joint Task Force at the Ministry of Defense. Strangely enough, at least ninety percent of the time, it was "Christian" forces and militia who broke the ceasefires.

I'm not going to get into a "who shot first" - Christian or Muslim - argument about that particular conflict, because you can go back to the crusades and beyond; and it doesn't really matter anyway. That conflict was about power and control, not religion.

The conflicts that we have today are not about religion, they are about power and control. When we get lost in the smoke of religious "brick throwing", we lose perspective of what is really going on. From someone who has struggled through the smoke, the view is a little different. Sadly each of us has to make it through the smoke on our own, in our own time. I like Jonathan Swift's thought: "We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another."

Frankly, I have a hard time seeing Jesus of Nazareth sitting at his computer pounding out hate mail directed at the Muslims. If I am to be condemned, let it be for hating too little, not for hating too much.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." - Mohandas Gandhi

Alpha Dog, BTPost, Minuteman and 3 others like this.
  6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

One very great and common fallacy I see here, and elsewhere, is considering ALL white people of non-muslim, non-Jewish, etc faith, as "Christian" - very many are NOT. It skews the statistics, as unreliable as they already tend to be.

tulianr likes this.
  7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Admittedly there are many Agnostics and Athiests and a smattering of Pagans and Wiccans.... but i guess the question that needs to be asked is what is your defination of Christian? As a working statistician we rely on self definition... if a set population defines itself as Christian regardless of what flavor (Catholic, Baptist, Penticostial, &th day adventist , Morman, etc) then they are for the study Christian...

I think that the point being made by Tulinar is still Valid... over 76% of our population considers Itself Christian...

U.S Demographics for Religion

Statistics on Religion in America Report -- Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

Faith In America - CBS News

If we rely on this statistic; and assume no one religion is more likely to commit a murder than another, then around 11,250 of the homicides were probabily committed by Christians...

Therefore his assumption is still Valid...

And more to the point the rest of his comments seem to be valid

chelloveck and tulianr like this.
  8. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

I hope no one takes this wrong:

Who ****ing cares at all what Bill Cosby did or did not say?

Minuteman, tulianr and Guit_fishN like this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

That is a very valid point, that I make very often. "What makes what some juiced up Movie Star says, about anything, any more important, to the general Population, than what some bum, off the street says, about the same subject?"

That said, I would just point out, that Mr. Cosby is not your average Movie Star. After he made his money, in movies and a Staring role in "Man from Uncle" he left the biz for a time, and went to College, on his OWN dime, and finished with a PHD in Education. He then went on to write, direct, produce, and act, in his own Tv Sitcom, "The Huckstables", all on his OWN dime, which won MANY Awards and Critical Acclaim from an number of folks, and outfits, across a broad political and religious spectrum. This guy is one smart Dude, who grew up in the Hood, got an Education, and then bettered himself, and then passes that heritage, and legacy, on where ever he can.

So, you just might read his opinion, and give it the same scrutiny as you would any other source if information, in your life. ..... YMMV....

tulianr and Falcon15 like this.
  10. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Cosby has infuriated the liberal black commmunity for his point comments about reliance on welfare and government as well as the lack of fathers in black household. He currently is a single voice pointedly telling the sheepel of his race to wake up.

11. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I guess it makes no difference what the man thinks, it's the thought that counts. Anyone here take exception to his thinking, go ahead, it is your privilege to agree or disagree. The Coz has a bit of experience and wisdom that he's sharing. That someone eilse has made up things and attributed them to him is shame, but the shame is on the twerp that falsified them, not the Coz, or you, or me.

tulianr, BTPost and Guit_fishN like this.
  13. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

I prefer stories a out "Roland and the Roller Coaster.". Don't care what he has to say. The black community won't listen to him since he became and "Uncle Tom" in their opinion. People don't like to hear the truth.....especially fro
    A projects educated Kidd from th modern day "hood".

His opinion wont make a difference.

Guit_fishN likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7