Bolt selection

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oil pan 4, Dec 6, 2021.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I like the way the carpenter158 alloy fails.
    Even with 2 bolt lugs broke off the gun it still runs. I think Nickel boron or nitrided should be avoided since their failure mode seems to be to break in half.
    Just good old GI style bolt is the way to go. They last, they're cheap, their failure mode is non catastrophic and gives you lots of warning before the gun blows up in your face.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    mechstdr, Dunerunner, jim2 and 4 others like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Generally, any kind of bolt failure on the AR is due to a bad interface between the barrel extension and bolt lugs, a proper fitting assembly shouldn't fail! That said, bolts should also be made from very high strength alloys, most that fail because of improper alloys are too brittle!

3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I don't think coatings or surface treatments in and of themselves contribute to structural failures. It's more the materials, machining, treatments, testing, and overall manufacturing process.

I normally get mine from Toolcraft since they make replacements for .mil and source to a number of OEM manufacturers including FN for their portion of the M4 contract. I prefer nitrided since it cleans much easier than the standard coating. Also, it's a salt bath surface treatment and doesn't wear off. Honestly, not a real factor these days with cleaners like Carbon Killer, but make field maintenance much easier.

mechstdr, Dunerunner, jim2 and 2 others like this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

mechstdr, Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  5. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Never had a bolt failure, and always just run what is stock to the gun. Colt and Aero Precision here and never any issues. I never had a lot of use for fancy, just want it to go bang when I tell it to.

mechstdr and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

mechstdr and MarkTwain like this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

How to ruin your new high dollar bolt and/or bolt carrier.

3M-TA3 and mechstdr like this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I knew that nitride bolts sucked I just didn't know precisely why.

Knowing is half the battle.

Gator 45/70 and mechstdr like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7