Bought a 1981 Set of Encyclopedia Brittanica

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by GOG, Oct 20, 2022.

1. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I just bought this Encyclopedia Brittanica from 1981. I'm pretty sure it's too old to be woke and fake and if and when the net & coms say goodbye it will be good to have and pass on.
    I still buy actual books if I think they'll be helpful in the future. This set was the best combination of price and condition I could find. I realize it will have shortcomings being dated, but it should have real information rather than political correctness and doublespeak.
    The seller included shipping for me so the total was $220.
    BTW, Encyclopedia prices are insane.
    Screenshot_20221020-141446_Samsung Internet.

Brokor, johnbb, chelloveck and 3 others like this.
  2. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

when you're looking for used books in general - reference type books like encyclopedia sets and school teaching >> check with all your local public libraries - see if they have a volunteer Friends of the Library - check for used book sales and an ongoing sale room for discontinued library books and donations .....

Brokor, 3M-TA3, SB21 and 5 others like this.
  3. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Good info, thanks.

chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I love physical books! I don't care if they are paperbacks, cloth bound, or leather...I love books! I'm currently collecting some used hardback books that I enjoyed in my youth...books by Edgar Rice Burroughs, Andre Norton, and others. I tried electronic books, but the thrill just isn't there. That being said, I do have a number of reference books and magazines on DVD...World Book Encyclopedia, Mother Earth News, Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, National Geographic, etc. I also purchased books from Hamilton Press on every subject under the sun...from A-Z. I have a plan to permanently check-out selected books from local public and college libraries should the SHTF!
    PS I still have the family 1970 World Books from my childhood. I could care less about the dated current events, as the important information is still relevant!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
    GOG, johnbb, CraftyMofo and 1 other person like this.
  5. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Have Mother Earth News Mag in boxes in the attic before they went yuppie, Have Boxes of Organic Gardening mag that I pull out and read again before they went yuppie. My wife's cousin was chief editor of OG for years back then. My wife's grand farther organic gardened long before it became the in thing to do. I was a big tom Swift book reader as a kid still have a few copies my mom saved. I like reading an actual book or mag

mrghostwalker, Brokor and GOG like this.
  6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

A few years back , I was doing some work in a Charter school ,, the Asst. Director wanted me to throw away hundreds of school books from a few years earlier . There was a whole pile of books ,, I asked why they're throwing away history books ,, he said they got in new ones ,, I said history doesn't change ,, why get new ones ? He said , yes it does ,, what about the split of the Soviet Union ,, or the Berlin wall ?? I said it's not actually changing ,, just being revised ,, no sense in rewriting it . Wasted breath ,, they'll just keep rewriting till it fits their agendas I reckon .

3cyl, GOG, mysterymet and 1 other person like this.
  7. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

guy - it all depends on the SHTF - if the local library got invaded by the homeless and looters or the building damaged beyond repair - saving the books would be necessary - but if you don't intend to continue the public sharing of that community asset >>> call yourself a selfish looter - not cool in the least ....

adkpete and mysterymet like this.
  8. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

you paid a lot less for yours than I did, they got me good for that set new. I think I ended up giving it away.

GOG likes this.
  9. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

This is what I studied before I took my written Journeyman Carpenter test a bazillion years ago. Definitely a different time. They're still out there.
    This is a replacement set from fleabay.
    20220512_162646. 20220512_162511. 20220512_145751.

SB21 and johnbb like this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Houses from those days are still around as long as someone didn't let the roof go all to shit.

GOG, SB21 and johnbb like this.
  11. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I prefer to think of myself as saving the books from rot and mildew after a real honest-to-God SHTF situation. That way I and others will have access to the knowledge contained in the books and as for being considered a looter...somebody is gonna get it and it might as well be ME! Hell! when the sh*t really hits the fan, I plan on visiting a local grocery store and drug store too! I already got a shopping list! Some folks might not approve, and I don't care!

12. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I have a 29 volume set of Encyclopedias Britannica some years ago. They are 15th Edition, printed in 2003. (and a couple of EB yearbooks) all of which I bought from the local library at $2 a volume, when they went from hard copy to digital They are a great resource for self education. I have an extensive library of books (mostly non fiction) in 8 book cases (floor to ceiling), with many others boxed and stored.

13. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Save books when the SHTF people will be burning them to keep warm

GOG and SB21 like this.
  14. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The best thing about printed reference is that history revisionists can't quietly make changes when you aren't looking. I used to have some encyclopedias from the 50's and 60's and wish I still had them.

mysterymet, GOG, johnbb and 1 other person like this.
  15. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Literature is full of references to the banning/destruction of printed books, and using digital "replacements", 1984, Soylent Green, Fahrenheit 451 and others. There was even that Woody Allen movie where future historians were upset about erasing the entire 12th Century. Without "books" facts can be deleted or changed without anyone knowing or being able to prove otherwise...1984!

GOG, 3M-TA3 and johnbb like this.
  16. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Back in 2001 ,, I was doing a house remodel ,,, the folks bought the house from an old college proffesor . He had a study with book shelves lining the walls ,, just like Chello's ,, all around the room . The books that were left ,, that the new owners wanted gone was a complete set of National Geographic's magazines that went from the early 60s all the way up to the late 90s . We'd take our lunch break in that room and flip thru those magazines ,, I came in one day , and they were all gone .

chelloveck and GOG like this.
  17. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Or using pages for toilet paper! In a real SHTF or TEOTWAWKI situation 80-90% of the people will die from violence, starvation, lack of water or bad water, lack of medications and medical care, exposure, etc.

GOG likes this.
  18. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Exactly why I picked 1981. I think that year set should still be pretty legit.

Brokor and 3M-TA3 like this.
  19. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

DSC01085.JPG
    This particular one is from 1981/82, but the printing goes back well into the 70's. The complete sets are much less expensive than encyclopedias, and I believe these are better anyway because there's just more useful information and detailed illustrations.

Here's an example of an incomplete set going for $10 plus $25 shipping from Illinios
    Also, Etsy has quite a few with full sets for less than $100: Book of Knowledge - Etsy
    If you search for "The New Book of Knowledge" across the web, you may find some spectacular deals.

Just a few snaps from the interior:
    DSC01090.JPG DSC01087.JPG DSC01088.JPG DSC01089.JPG

VisuTrac and GOG like this.
  20. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

1981 was my guess at new enough, but old enough.

1. Bandit99
  2. ED GEiN
  3. Marvin L. Steinhagen
  4. survivalmonkey
  5. Motomom34
  6. survivalmonkey
  7. 3M-TA3
  8. Witch Doctor 01
  9. duane
  10. Halvist
  11. survivalmonkey
  12. DKR