Bout time I say hi

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sdr, Dec 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sdr

sdr Monkey++

Hi all. Been lurking long enough I figure it's time to climb up. Forget how I discovered you all. Probably researching something. Always keep the site up so I can check in often. Lots of prepper forums but something about this one has me hooked.

I'm living in central Colorado. Have been all but 2 years. Figure I'm pretty much stuck here now.

Been prepping for as long as I can remember. Even before I knew what prepping was. Remember reading My Side of the Mountain as a kid and figured that was about as good as it could get. Next book was the boy scouts handbook. Took off from there. 20 years ago I achieved one of my dreams and purchased land up near Cripple Creek. Managed to build a nice little cabin. Got married so now it's a nice bigger cabin. Don't live up there, hopefully one day.

I'm guessing it was right around 9/11 when my mindset kicked in high gear. Having a family just reinforced the need to prep even harder. Things I see happening globally is making me concentrate on getting my list of unfinished projects completed. Better solar power at the bol, water collection and storage, setup my ham gear ECT.

I'll be asking some questions from time to time and, if possible, sharing any knowledge I may have if needed.

Cruisin Sloth, GOG, Ganado and 7 others like this.
  2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Welcome to the Monkey SDR....bout time you said howdy!!

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Welcome to the Monkey Tree.... You already have a branch picked out so, just dive right in...

4. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Welcome to the Monkey tree!

5. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Howdy.

We’re glad to have ya.

6. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Welcome to the monkey tree. No doubt you have had input before, but have been biting your tongue or sitting on your hands. Share some of the knowledge you have gleaned here and there from experience or whatever. Everyone has strong points and opinions. We welcome you to share some of yours.

Motomom34, chelloveck and 3M-TA3 like this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Welcome!

chelloveck likes this.
  8. duane

duane Monkey+++

Welcome to the monkey, in my humble opinion, the greatest asset of this forum is that if you have a question about living and surviving, we probably have some member that has actually tried it and is humble enough to admit how it turned out. As a simple example, approaching 70 years of married life, never lie to your wife, not to say you have to bring the subject up, but the consequences of lying may be much more severe than telling the truth. But then I married a saint who puts up with me. May not sound like survival advice, but we have people with experience in almost everything and I am looking forward to the niche you may fill. It will never work if we all lurk, and we have some excellent moderators who keep us mostly civil and on the right track.

GOG, Alf60, Motomom34 and 3 others like this.
  9. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Civil and on the right track.....like herding cats.... ;)

GOG, oldawg, duane and 3 others like this.
  10. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Welcome from SE AZ.
    Rancher

chelloveck likes this.
  11. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Welcome to the monkey tree, sdr. Look forward to your contributions. Your Mrs will be welcomed among the strong women here. I take it you can make your own 'sammiches'? Contributions to the recipe threads will be welcomed by the cooks here....men and women alike :)

GOG and techsar like this.
  12. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Happy to have you. C'mon out of the shadows and enjoy!

chelloveck likes this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Greetings from Front Range Colorado. Nice to have another Coloradan on the site. Are you planning on having gardens up at your cabin? I have found that the dirt here in CO is lacking. Always looking for advice on amendments, what works and what doesn't. Growing in CO is a challenge. Welcome aboard.

chelloveck likes this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Howdy back at you!!!

chelloveck likes this.
  15. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

SDR,
    You're going to fit right in here. Big welcome from Northern Idaho!

chelloveck likes this.
  16. sdr

sdr Monkey++

Thanks for all the welcomes!

Motomom, I do plan on having a garden at the bol. It's at 8300 feet so I'm not sure how it will happen. I heard that woodland park has a gardeners club of some sort. I assume they would be the best resource. Here below pikes peak I've been gardening for about 7 years now. Biggest discovery I've made is how much better things grow in a greenhouse. By greenhouse I mean 11' x 23' piece of uv rated plastic over a simple 2 x 4 frame. Even with both ends open plants go crazy. Haven't done much to the soil here except dump a load of well decomposed horse manure.

Chelloveck, I'm looking forward to posting a recipe for my idea of the ultimate prepper food. About a month ago I decided to cook up a batch. Photographed the process just to be able to share.

Duane, good advice.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2017
  17. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

Welcome!!

chelloveck likes this.
  18. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Welcome to the Monkey..

chelloveck likes this.
  19. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Glad you came in out of the shadows! looking forward to hearing what you have to say

chelloveck likes this.
  20. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Looking forward to it.

1. AgentPickle
  2. CaptainCalamity
  3. DurdenJames
  4. saki monkey
  5. old_code
  6. OlSarge
  7. TheRightToBearArms
  8. AR15gunbuilder
    New one from west Florida
    Thread by: AR15gunbuilder, Sep 28, 2020, 19 replies, in forum: New Member Introductions
  9. Bunker Bob
  10. Modus Operandi
  11. Northern california
  12. Murfylang
  13. Waydah
  14. Kruel J
  15. johnwintergardener
  16. JazzeeJ
  17. Kavode
  18. ArtVandelay
  19. MrBadExample
  20. Wildbilly