Broken Smith & Wesson

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by stg58, Nov 25, 2013.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

2. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey Site Supporter

Someone needed some new parts??

3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey..... Moderator Site Supporter++

Ewwww...that is not pretty.

4. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

Looks like some needed a Wheel Chock, and it was handy.... Dumb.....

5. Dont

Know someone that was coming out of the mountains from elk camp and his truck started sliding sideways off the road. Truck hung up on a tree and was doing the slow motion pivot around the tree. His wife jumped out and he was throwing guns and other stuff out at her and jumped clear as the truck took the 500 foot tumble.

6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey..... Moderator Site Supporter++

That would be a bad day!!

Tracy likes this.
  7. Dont

Knowing them booze was involved.. He is one hunting son of a gun tho..

8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I knew a gun collector, still living with his folks and no bills. He spent all his money on guns. He rolled a GMC pacer down a mountain when he missed s turn in the dark. He was on his way back from buying guns, so the car was loaded. They had to cut him out with the "jaws of life" and all the guns were bent, even the pistols. Only part of the car that surviviable was the driver's seat. It took them 2 days to find him.

9. JLRhiner

JLRhiner Stranger in the Modern World

Looks to me like someone wasn't paying attention at the ol' reloading bench.

10. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

What makes you think so? Looks to me, that the weapon was bent. How does a double load, cause the weapon to appear bent? Also what powder would allow a double load, to fit in a small pistol round, and still allow the projectile to be fully seated? How do you account for the vertical tool marks on the slide at the bend location, in the top pict in the original post? Just wondering.... YMMV....

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    Silversnake likes this.
  11. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

There's a serious indentation mark perpendicularish (it's my word, I'll spell it like I want!) to the slide. Looks like it was wedged into something moving. It also looks as if a grazing shot might have have hit it causing the deformation. Have seen quite a few videos of torture tests where someone actually shoots at a gun... Maybe it's to see how well you handgun behaves as armor? :D Great armor if you're fast enough!

12. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

I think someone got depressed after they realized they bought a S&W Sigma, or maybe they got depressed after they shot it a little bit, and decided they should move up to a High Point pistol. That would explain the motive for placing it in a hydrolic press and crushing it.

BTW, I can relate; I once owned a S&W Sigma .380 pistol. It was ugly, it was not very reliable, and after taking it apart to clean it, it was not very well made. I didn't crush it, though, I sold it instead.

Yard Dart likes this.
  13. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I crushed a raven. 25cal semiautomatic once, just to make sure no one ever needed to trust it to work reliably. No press( I don't have one) but a sledgehammer works just fine.

Yard Dart likes this.
  14. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Oo, it's one of those french S&W's.
    Never fired but dropped once (albeit it really hard)
    LOL

15. JLRhiner

Well, that's a .40 caliber, so a double load is possible. The gasses coming out would certainly be able to do the damage visible in pic 3, that being the weaker side. If it went boom and the boom went out the right side, the left side would follow it, giving the distorted appearance of the slide on the left side. Pic 3 also shows what appears to be gas cutting around the extractor cut. As far as "tool marks", that could be an impact mark, but is more than likely stress showing on the frame. But what do I know. It could have committed suicide.

16. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey++

There's been a warning put out about loading a round into the chamber multiple times causing it to move back in the seat and cause an over pressure failure. This may have been the cause. YMMV

17. JLRhiner

There are three separate and distinct possibilities along this line of thinking. An overcharge, a condition that exists when more powder is dropped than is called for. A double charge, a condition of throwing two separate charges, and over pressurization because of excess set back on the bullet. All equally dangerous. Most powders are very compressable and when setback occurs, those rounds become little bombs.

18. Dont

Still looks to me like it was put in a press. A lot of side pressure placed on it.

VisuTrac and ghrit like this.
  19. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

maybe it came from NY or LA....

20. Dont

Stolen from police weapons evidence destruction...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7