Browning brilliance - 1911 combat expedient repair

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by hot diggity, Jan 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

_20190106_173434.JPG I saw my first 1911 recoil spring plug get launched across the armory some time in 1979. I never even considered taking the plug out and relieving the spring tension on a 1911 until I read the instructions from my first new 1911. I never lost a recoil spring plug, though I'll admit to fumbling one a time or two. I did lose a M16 firing pin retaining pin... in the snow... during a match. I still carry spares on all my key rings, just in case.

John M. Browning must've envisioned the recoil spring plug on his pistol getting lost in the mud during the long muddy battles to come. It rolls really well, so it's not that hard to lose, even if not launched by spring tension. Whether intentional or not, he provided us with a way to keep the 1911 going even after the disaster of losing a vital part. A fired .45 ACP case is a perfect fit in place of the recoil spring plug. It won't lock the barrel bushing from rotating, but the spring provides tension enough to make it unlikely. It sure beats pawing around in the mud when someone might be stalking you in the trenches.

2. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Well I'll be dipped in sh*t and hung for stinkin' !
    And as long as I've had 1911s and never figured that.
    I'm filing that one away. Thanks hot diggity!

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I lost my Colt spring plug once. Ordered a new one. Of course, as soon as I got the new one, I found the old one!
    Always good to have a spare.

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

All Be Dammed! And I thought I knew every thing about the 1911! Well, this proves me wrong, Again!
    Funny, I just checked and wouldn't ya know it, a 10 mm/40 also works, ( but not 9 mm) though not as tight as a .45! Guess I gotta switch back to .45 wouldn't wanna bring on a curse or sunthin! LOL
    BTW, before any one gets smart, this only works on SHORT length guide rods, NOT full length! Do that and you'll launch sumthin fer sure! Will not work on Spring Bushing Pistols!!!

5. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Another reason to save your brass,it could save your a$$! JMB was a genius.

6. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Only been carrying a 1911 for near 50 years off and on, never knew this trick. Do now. Thanks

7. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Thank you for a post of even more JMB awesomeness.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7