1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Bullet Penetration on Wood

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by jasonl6, Apr 10, 2012.

1. jasonl6

jasonl6 Monkey+

I have been working up a plan to harden my home without making it look like a fortress. One on my plans is to move my door and replace it with a hardened door i plan to build. I did some research on bullet penetration on wood and couldn't find much. This evening me and my son did our own experiment.

We first conducted a test with a 9mm (Rugar LC9) at 15'

Species Penetrations
    Hard Maple 1 1/4"
    Ash 1 1/8"
    Hickory 1 5/8"
    Beech 2 1/2"
    Mahogany 2 3/4"

I plan on making my door 3" thick so any of these would take a shot from 9mm.

Next I chose a .243 rifle at 50 yards

All the wood failed, Which i expected. I figure no one would assault a house with a scoped rifle but wanted to see anyways. I think even a .223 would make it though.

The door i plan on building will be out of hard maple. The center of the door will have raised panels. Between the inside and outside raised panel (true exterior doors use separate inside/outside raised panels to account for the expansion of heat indoors/cold outdoors) I will put 1/2" plate steel.

I came up with 1/2" based on a recent show i watched on discovery. The we filming a company that builds bullet proof doors and wanted to see what it would take to stop differnet round. The worked there way up from .223 (1/4) 7.62x39,308 (3/8") and 50BMG 1/2". Based on there findings i plan on 1/2". The weakest point will be the sides of the door as they will only be wood. However I have a plan where i will be able to bolt additional 1/2" plate to the inside of the door if SHTF. I basically want a door that will take a kicking a shot and keep going. If i have 15-30 seconds to react i can naturalize the target.

OBTW in case anyone is worried about the weight of said door the door will be swinging on 2 1/2" full length piano hinges. I will also have a deadbolt top and bottom.

Just thought i would share my findings with others that might be interested in this information.

tulianr likes this.
  2. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Interesting post. Thanks for posting your results!
  3. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2015
  4. -06

-06 Monkey+++

A friend has steel plates decorated to look like ornamental panels beside his doors. You would never think that they are there. His doors are deceptively benign looking. Solid glass "storm" door that will stop a 45 then a heavy wooden door on locking pin hinges secured with 3/8 six inch lag bolts into 4X4 side posts. Every thing looks just like an ordinary door and nice looking--just don't try to kick it in or blast the hinges. You would be wasting your time.
  5. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

My doors are the last thing Im worried about when it comes to my house. Vinyl siding over 1/2 osb board with dry wall wont even stop a .22 much less any of the rounds you mentioned. Most homes with 2by4 or 2by6 walls dont have any bullet stopping qualities. Our plan does not include defending from our home. Unless your house is brick armoring your door wont do much to protect you. KF
  6. jasonl6

jasonl6 Monkey+

My house was built along time ago the walls are solid double plank walls 2" thick. I am adding cement board siding. That will help some. My purpose for hardening my door is thatmost people when they want into a house go through the door. If that doesn't work then trough a window. Last month we has some kids kick in a couple doors a few towns over. I too too not plan to stay in my house if stuff gets real bad.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary