Burn Pits Since the Persian Gulf War, a waste disposal practice at military sites outside the US.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HK_User, Apr 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

On January 17, 2019, Representative Tulsi Gabbard (HI) introduced H.R. 663, the Burn Pits Accountability Act in the House and Senator Amy Klobuchar (MN) introduced a companion bill, S. 191, in the Senate.

Since the Persian Gulf War, a common waste disposal practice at military sites outside the United States was the use of burn pits. Smoke from these pits contained toxic substances that may have short- and long-term health effects, especially for those who were exposed for longer periods. Many service members reported acute symptoms of respiratory or eye irritation, gastrointestinal distress, or rashes during or shortly after exposure, but the research thus far has been inconclusive about whether there are longer lasting consequences to these exposures as many veterans, who are still struggling with health conditions that arose during or after military service believe.

Both bills would require the Secretary of Defense to ensure that periodic health assessments ascertain whether a service member has been at a location when an open burn pit was used or exposed to toxic airborne chemicals. It will further require the Secretary to enter into an information sharing agreement with the Secretary of Veterans Affairs (VA). If a service member was exposed, the VA Secretary will enroll the member into the VA Airborne Hazards and Open Burn Pit Registry, unless the member elects not to enroll.

In agreement with DAV Resolution No. 069, DAV supports H.R. 663 and S. 191-legislation that would ensure that exposure to burn pits and airborne chemicals are recognized by both the Departments of Defense and Veterans Affairs.

Thank you for all you do for America's wartime service-disabled veterans and their families.

2. HK_User

We have worked two claims on this. Glad to see it is in process.

techsar, Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  3. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Yeah i heard ghe burn pit exposure registry is easier to join now. I should sign up.

techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. HK_User

Yup.

techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

6. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I was stationed at Balad Air base for my entire tour. The stench from that monstrosity will always remain with me and I hope that I have not or will ever develops any type of chronic disease from that year long exposure.

I had a thyroid scare here just recently, I am not back to normal levels, but my thyroid test has come back normal.

1. HK_User
  2. HK_User
  3. HK_User
  4. HK_User
  5. HK_User
  6. HK_User
  7. HK_User
  8. HK_User
  9. HK_User
  10. HK_User
  11. HK_User
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary