c.s.bell grain grinder

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by the dog, Dec 25, 2007.

1. the dog

the dog Monkey+++

back in the summer i traded for a mill.it had a coarse palte with it.i got it for the reson to grind animal feed...one day....then with all this GM corn and the talk about how bad it is....well i decided i might like to try to grind my own corn meal and flour.i found a place to get a extra fine plate and now i have the ability to grind flour.the extra fine plates cost $45....so it is a nice addition to my homestead .anybody eve use this type of mill...its a model 60.

2. annie

annie Monkey+++

3. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I want to eventualy get one with the various plates and the wheel on the side with a 'V' so you hook it up with a belt to a motor of your chooseing but also has the handle on the wheel so you can hand crank it if no other motor is available.

4. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

BTW I have one of the $20 or so cheapies and it works BUT to get the grains fine enouph to cook with you have to grind it at least 3 or 4 times and to get enouph for say a loaf of bread would take grinding for 2-3 hours at least.

5. the dog

the dog Monkey+++

annie.....that is where i got my extra fine palte from ..those folks were real nice to deal with and i had plate in jsut a few days .those tops models with all the frills are expensive.but i have the "mill only" down at bottom of page.it has the big v whell for use with a belt.not sure what i will use for power thoguh.gas engine or a electric motor.i ahve a 5 h.p gas..but i would like to not hear the roar of the motor while grinding.

high prices...the mill only last week was $455 now i see their price has jumped to $549.everyhting is going up and fast.we are headed for some hardtimes this year for sure.everyday i go to work and am sure they will give me the pink slip.but it is ok....my little homestead will keep me fed..deer..catfish...and garden....and hopefully this year some grains for my grist mill.

6. KHAN

KHAN Monkey+++

Not to mention UPS is raising their rates across the board beginning the first of the year. Argghhhhhhhh!!!

7. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I am looking to get both a hand and electric grain grinder as well as meat grinders which one actually work ?

8. thePeege

thePeege Monkey+

County Living grain mill is one of the best that can be driven by hand or motor, but it is usually about $400 unless you can find a used one...pretty rare because everyone who has one keeps them.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7