Can You Answer These 12 Basic Survival Questions?

Discussion in 'Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions' started by Motomom34, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Dunerunner and UncleMorgan like this.
  2. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Got the helicopter one wrong... seriously though.... when they say "run" im thinking Run away.. and waving.. well waving both arms in air while jumping up & down... right?....

Dunerunner, UncleMorgan and Motomom34 like this.
  3. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Yeah, moving arms would be more likely to gain attention...missed it, too.

Dunerunner, UncleMorgan and Motomom34 like this.
  4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I missed one which I think is one of those 'rational' questions: Which of these should be the first thing you do?
    Your Answer :Water
    Correct Answer : Shelter
    I mean, if it is raining and/or a cold environment then of course it must be the very first thing, otherwise I am on the clock and only have 3 days which in truth is probably only 2 given the situation.

Also, I never heard of the 'Universal Edibility Test' but rationalize the answer and got it correct. I need to look this UET up...

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I got that one and the helicopter one incorrect. The edibility test choices seemed wrong. I learned rub it on your arm or elbow first.

Dunerunner and UncleMorgan like this.
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

How fun. I won't die - or so the Quiz sez.

I take some exception with the Q & A set. You rub an unknown food on your arm - or place under your watch and check for irritation. So say the .mil survival gurus.

Shelter first, if it's near water....

As for the helo - the pilot/observer will be sure to see my VS-17 panel and listen on 121.5/243.0 for my PRC-90.....

[​IMG]
    VS-17 Signal panel - never leave home without one!

Motomom34, Dunerunner and UncleMorgan like this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

12 out of 12, but then I am kind of expected to know these things! Almost missed the edible test, as others have pointed out, place on back of wrist first and look for signs of issues!

8. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Ah! Another test by armchair survivalists!

Since they don't know much about survival, it's understandable that they got a few questions wrong.

They don't seem to have considered that where you are can make a difference in which answer is "right".

For example it's clearly wrong to consider dead wood the best fuel for a fire, when there isn't any. There are quite a few places where dried animal dung is the only available fuel. Besides, why chop wood if there's a couple of tons of sun-dried fire-logs lying around just begging for a spark?

The right answer to their food test is also wrong. Skin sensitivity should start at the wrist, not the lips.

That's why the delicious-looking Banongua Berry hasn't yet been discovered by Europeans. It's so poisonous that even the slightest contact with a person's mouth kills instantly.

In the simple language of the primitive Botoka-smoka Tribe "Banongua" means "Gift".

The Botoka-smoka Tribe hasn't yet been been discovered by Europeans, either, because they always
    set a few Bonongua Berries out for the Europeans to taste-test,.

They may be simple and primitive, but they aren't stupid.

By the way--none of the answers are correct on how long a person can live without eating. Heck, when I was very young I once went nine months without eating a bite.

Ganado, Motomom34, Dunerunner and 3 others like this.
  9. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I missed three, and do not agree with the test. If a lost person sees a helo or plane flying over the first most natural thing to do is WAVE YOUR ARMS!! Not everybody has some fancy vest or rescue radio.
    No animal dung common in my AO. I will burn wood.
    I chose "shelter", but that will depend on many factors.

Motomom34 and Dunerunner like this.
  10. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I got # 6 wrong but I think they are wrong fire water shelter but that's just me also I can go longer with out food than a week

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Very much afraid that quiz was ginned up by someone that never visited this site.

Dunerunner, BTPost and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I am sure it is a “ Convetional Wisdom” Quiz...

Dunerunner likes this.
  13. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

12/12 I agree with the wrist... If you are allergic hives are better that in ability to breathe...

Motomom34, Dunerunner and Ura-Ki like this.
  14. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Probably a big fan of those insipid TV "survival programs".

Motomom34, Dunerunner and Ura-Ki like this.
  15. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

7 of 12.... But still a "True Survivor"!!

Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  16. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Hmmmm it's not all the answers I get right in tests like these that will save my butt, but the essential knowledge vital for survival that isn't in the test. Some test questions, and some test solutions are questionable.

The test might be a fun conversation starter for kids and family to get them thinking about survival / prepping.

Motomom34, oldawg and Ura-Ki like this.
  17. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

As a plus, dried dung burns smoke free.

The Winchester may have been the rifle that 'Won the West" - but the the move west was fueled by buffalo dung (chips).

18. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

enviroment matters also... some of those answers could be right in certain enviroments and wrong in others,, desert island? find water.... canadian woods in winter... I think not freezing to death might just be a priority.....

techsar, Dunerunner, arleigh and 2 others like this.
  19. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Agreed......rules of thumb.....are just that, broad guides. Context is all.....a rule of thumb may work.....until fingers are required.

Dunerunner and Motomom34 like this.
  20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

It takes unusual circumstances for people to be put in that position, there fore said tests are superfluous with out relevant information and specific conditions .

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7