Cargill recalls 1 million pounds ground beef - E Coli fears

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by annie, Nov 3, 2007.

1. annie

annie Monkey+++

2. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Re: Cargill recalls 1 million pounds ground beef - E Coli fe

What d'ya know..... one I don't have any of.

3. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

:lol: ya' know, Blackjack - I was just checking this thread to see if you had any. ;) Glad you're safe on this one! :)

4. wildernessgal

wildernessgal Backwoods is a callin'

Use this and many other fine examples, as another "good reason" to work towards PROVIDING FOR ONE'S SELF! [winkthumb]

~Wildernessgal~

5. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I am all for self reliance. My family raised and killed their own beef for many years. However, providing for one's self in regards to E. Coli 0157:H7 puts you at more of a risk than those that obtain their beef at the supermarket. You see, 0157:H7 occurs naturally in the intestinal tract of beef. The only way to prevent contamination of your meat is to ensure that no fecal material from the hides is transferred to the meat. Easy to do? Not so fast. You see most people that kill and process their own beef do not steam wash their hides. They do not have intervention methods to ensure that the all but invisible E. coli does not attach itself to the fat of the animal which it seems to do so well. I have seen time after time how people will skin, then dress the animal with the same knife, without washing it with extremely hot water. I have done it myself. I can hear the arguments already "but we have done this for years and nobody has gotten sick." This is not true either. As for adults the contamination might be nothing but the runs, and stomach problems. These are hardly ever reported to their doctors nor the CDC, but for the young, old, or for those who's immunity is suppressed it could mean organ failure. In the old days the general survival rate was not near as high as today, and for those that died the exact reason for death was not known. Our food safety system is not perfect, but it is the cleanest in the world, and the safest in the world. If you want to kill and process your own, at least educate yourself as much as you can to prevent cross contamination and sickness from those nasty pathogens.

I'm from the Gov. and I am here to help. [patr]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7