Cell + Internet out in the Alaskan bush...

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by BTPost, Nov 23, 2019.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Today is another Cabin Day up on the Mountain... I worked on finishing the installation of or Internet and Cell Comms at our Brown Cabin... The third picture is of the Wilson 4G Cell-Booster, mounted under the loft on a floor joist. The second picture is of the Internet & Cell Comms Center that is on the Front small widow sill, inside the Brown Cabin... The power comes from the cabin’s 12Vdc Battery Buss, that runs all the DC cabin Lights and accessories. it is wired to the light switch on the load side of the nearest overhead LED room light... The feed goes to the terminal strip, that breaks out to feed a USB six port charging station, and a AP/Client WiFi Router.... The Wilson inside Antenna can be seen between the 4G Hot Spot, and my iPhone5... The first Picture is of the Wilson 4G Outside Antenna mounted on a long pole, and pointed at our CellSite 15 Miles south on Hoonah Mtn... AF51F62B-B40C-48EE-932D-2BA7646EAAA5.
    C54AEC39-3754-4A2E-8837-7A5AC83263AA. 22FC0D4E-09E1-4913-88A3-F8E07D180B44.

Both the iPhone5 and the HotSpot are getting between two and three Bars (-98 & -103 dbm) of 4G signal, and I am posting this post from my iPad thru the AP/Client/Router via the HotSpot..

2. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Could use something like that at my BOL. Sitting here now just using BroadBand dongles attached to USB port on computers, two bars of 4G is the best one can hope for. Works but slow and sometimes drops. Same with iPhone 6s that both myself and my wife have. I believe that can be improved upon with a booster, and it doesn't look too complicated at all to set up.

We're fortunate because one or two people out here have zero signal, nothing to work with or improve upon.

sec_monkey likes this.
  3. BTPost

The Wilson Boosters that I am using are dirt cheap these days, used on fleabay...I bought this one for $35US... I bought the Antennas direct from Wilson’s Web Store... I got maybe $150US, total in that whole Wilson System... The coax run to the outside Antenna, Beldon 9913, an ultra low loss Coax... I have a 500’ spool left over from a pervious Job... This installation required the best coax available due to the length of the coax, and the hight needed to clear the trees between here and the cellsite.. Wet trees are a Cellular Signal killer...

4. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Wow. That's a lot of work. I just drive to the McDonald's. ;)

5. BTPost

The nearest MickeyDs is 60 miles and two Mountain Ranges away...and the nearest road that connects to anywhere is 200 miles north...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7