Chainsaw sharpener recommendation

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Bandit99, Apr 5, 2022.

1. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I cut a lot of wood, nothing tremendously big, largest about 18-inches in diameter, but I cut a lot of it, most is Pine. Normally, I take my chains to be sharpened to a guy that does an excellent job and is very reasonably priced; however, I found out today he closed shop and is now retired, and the other local shop wants $9 a chain - that's way too much so...

All, does anyone have a recommendation for an idiot proof chain sharpener?

SB21, sec_monkey, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  2. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

While there's plenty of powered chain saw sharpeners out there, I've had really good luck with a Granberg manual sharpening rig, similar to this: Granberg Bar-Mount Chainsaw Sharpener, Model# G-106B | Northern Tool
    That's just the first link for one of those I ran across, so definitely shop around! Might take a little longer, but once you get the hang of using it (a few minutes, more than likely), you'll be surprised at how fast you can "tune up" a chainsaw chain with it.
    When I worked for the Navy, in Guam, part of my responsibilities was clean-up, after a tropical storm or typhoon. Most days, cutting the softer wood, we could make a chain last a day, before giving it a quick sharpening in the afternoon, to get it ready for the next day. Occasionally, we'd run across a bunch of "iron wood" trees, that would dull a chainsaw blade in a half day of cutting! :eek: All we had was a manual chainsaw sharpener, like that, and I was able to go back to our maintenance shop, and within 15 minute before lunch, sharpen up those dulled blades again, to run all afternoon. (y)

SB21, Bandit99, sec_monkey and 4 others like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

When I am home, I have an Oregon Chain bench mounted sharpener/Grinder… I usually do about a dozen chains in an afternoon… I save up my dull STIHL Chains, until my supply is. down to a couple of each size, for my two Stihl Saws.. Then dig out the Oregon Grinder and spend a Rainy afternoon, sharpening them back up, and hang them on the peg in the Blue Toolshed… until a Renewed one is needed, on the saw… I usually carry one renewed chain for each saw in the Kubota SbS, and one of the two saws in the bed… You just never know when a tree will block to trail to our place from the Airstrip & Cannery…

SB21, Tully Mars, Bandit99 and 4 others like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

The above manual chain sharpener is plenty good enough for home use, I always carry one around with me when ever I'm using the saws, sure makes a quick touch up slick and easy!
    Oregon Chain makes a version that works really well!

5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I sharpen mine by hand as well, The ground is your enemy, Keep the chain out of the dirt!

techsar, SB21, Bandit99 and 2 others like this.
  6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

SB21, Bandit99 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Harbor freight with an Oregon diamond wheel.

8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Mind your self, you want to be wearing gloves when sharpening a chain, those suckers have a nasty bite and tend to get even the best of us!
    Get several different round files, and avoid the temptation of doing a double bevel cut, or modifying the depth guides, it will only lead to ruin if you don't know what your doing! Certain chain types require certain procedures to properly sharpen them, and they are only good for cutting certain species of woods! Learn what type of chain to use for the type of wood and how best to sharpen them for the best results and longest chain life!

9. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Pfft just run carbide chains...... They cut everything and don't need sharpened often :) Of course they are expensive and the files and disc to sharpen them are even more expensive.

10. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I just use the proper sized round file ,, and the depth guage and flat file for those teeth. I've found that if I just take my time ,, pay attention to the angle ,, and use the same number of strokes per tooth ,, I've gotten them pretty darned close to factory sharp ,, be careful,, slide that file to far and you'll draw blood from your fingers .

I haven't taken the plunge and upgraded to one of them fancy motorized models,, but I'm looking at few of them ,, like you Bandit ,,, I'm listening to recommendations as well .

11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Forget those 'letric jobbers, if your good with your hands, a Dremel moto tool will do the job super quick and easy! Take your time, practice on a couple of old shit chains to get the hang of it first, you would be surprised as how easy it becomes! The trick is matching the factory tooth angle.

I do one side at a time, ( with the chain on the saw) and then switch sides to finish it off, takes about 10 min or so to freshen up a 28 inch chain!

sec_monkey, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  12. Re: post #1. Did your chain saw guy sell off his equipment? If you could score his, it might be a chance for a little income. 'Course you'll be busy sharpening other's chains when you want to be dulling yours. I think my bro has a Foley-BelSaw (120vac) he used in his small engine shop. As stated above "Be aware of sharp edges."

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Everyone should do this, By hand first, Never know when your off in the sticks and have to give the chain a quick tune-up.
    Keep it simple Boudreaux!

oldawg, sec_monkey, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

For those carbide chain too.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  15. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

As Preppers we should always strive to keep things simple and low-tech, therefore learn to use a manual system and have plenty of files, spare chains and other parts for a chainsaw. Also, have axes, mauls, crosscut saws, etc.

16. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

In a previous life I worked in a small engine shop and sharpened hundreds of chains back then. We had a fancy grinder and I got spoiled. Fast forward 40-45 years and got into cutting a fair amount of wood. Bought the files etc. and discovered I was still spoiled.

Bought one of the upper tier Oregon grinders and a dozen chains for each saw. When out cutting take a spare chain or two and when it starts getting a bit dull, swap chains. I can do it in a couple minutes, much faster than filing by hand. Then when most of the chains for a particular saw are dull, pull out the grinder, adjust for that chain, then grind a dozen in 15-20 minutes. Done. Fast, sharp, easy.

One of the tricks is to sharpen ALL the same size chains every time. Then when the grinder is set for one chain, its good for ALL of them. If some chains have been sharpened more than others, you’ll then often need to change the grinder a bit for each chain and that slows things down some.

Have fun.
    AT

Thunder5Ranch, BTPost, SB21 and 4 others like this.
  17. Bandit99

Here is what I am going to try (below) wish me luck as I am horrible at this type of stuff... I wanted this one cause it's German made and they make the same thing for Stihl but in Stihl color, of course. I probably (most certainly) could of got it cheaper but I need the damn thing now as only a few months until burn ban then we can't do very much so... I will look into these carbide chains too! I started using these new Husqvarna X-cut chains and man-oh-man what a difference! I will look and see if they produce a carbide chain. Thanks to all!

Pferd CS-X Chain Saw Sharpener
    upload_2022-4-7_9-42-41.

Amazon.com : Pferd 17301 Sharp CS-X Chain Saw Sharpener : Chain Sharpeners : Patio, Lawn & Garden

CraftyMofo and SB21 like this.
  18. Cruisin Sloth

as long as your chain is 3/16 and 325 pitch that will work h
    I use those to teach the 4H folks
    Sloth

19. Bandit99

Yep! I got two Husky 440's that use the 325 pitch and 3/16 file. I will need different files if I get something bigger which I am looking at doing for a 24 inch bar.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Cruisin Sloth

No try to stay the same 325 -3/16 setup , I run all my saws via the cut tooth size , so 5/32 is the small machines a bunch (10) then 3/16 and all 325 , then 7/32 in 3/8 pitch , helps with less screw-ups
    Sloth

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7