Gear Review Change out OEM Axle on a M105 Trailer.

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by HK_User, Mar 22, 2019.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Would have loved to have had the trailer for my old Land Rover... :D

3. HK_User

Mine is the heaviest of what they build. The deck is 1/2" steel.

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I have the Jeep Trailer, so very little conversion was needed! It takes the same rims and tires, and is easy to work on! I did put a full set of the "Combat" rims on both my Willies ( CJ-2A) and the trailer and fitted all with a full set of brand new BF Goodrich Mudders of the TKO type because of the softer armored sidewalls, plus 2 identical spares! Makes my resto mod a hoot and super useful for most tasks!
    Next "Conversion" is to a later 4 cylinder, ether a Jeep 2.6L or Ford Ranger 2.3L both with 5 speeds. Also need to do the front suspension shackle reversal so it doesn't bump steer down the road! Love these old rigs, super simple and easy to work on and a ton of parts available everywhere!

5. HK_User

Yup have a couple of Jeeps, May never get them restored unless I have a bundle of money or I slack off on Volunteer work, which I'm not gonna do!

Have a 1942 Ford Jeep and a 1952 M 38.

Just about collected all the needed parts to include new floor pan front to back of the M38.

Some day maybe >>>>>>>>??

Gator 45/70, oldawg and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. HK_User

After I found a WWll picture of Jeep in Europe and in a war zone with Mudder style tires I decided style was up to me.

So I used the same style of what is on my Loader conversion Ford tractor.(still in process)
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder an he who writes the check.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I like mine! All I have done besides the wheels and tires is the simple roll bar and Warn winch! Made new bumpers for the front and rear and painted it Sand color like the North Africa Jeeps and equipment!
    I got it bad for the pre flat fender Power Wagons, my 42 Half Cab truck is a rare bird, and looks mostly sock except for the tires! I am going to paint it OD green and get a new top made for it! Need to find a trailer like yours to go with it! My 46 PowerWagon is going to be sold once I get the 42 up and running! The 46 is too nice to use the way it should, and can make me some serious coin to put into the other projects!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. Blue

Blue Monkey

Haven't done that specifically but I have built a few different trailers from the ground up that are similar. Are the new tires the same diameter as the old? If so, using a drop axle may cause problems with clearance in your wheel wells, since you'll be dropping the wheels 4 inches closer to them. Probably be fine empty but with a heavy load it's a potential issue.
    I did a brief search and found dimensions for that trailer of roughly 13.5'x7.5'. Is that correct? A piece of 1/2" steel that size weighs over 2100 lbs. by itself. That'd make for an insanely heavy trailer. It's have to weigh close to 3500-4000 lbs. empty.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. HK_User

The purpose of the axle change is to drop bed height.
    You have to know how the trailer is built. Never assume any absolutes on the measurements of Mil equipment. Most measurements are Outside Dimensions for shipping purposes. This goes for all aspects as a given IS bed dimension does not include bracing that may be in the way but only the Rim is used for base measurements, meaning you may think you have a unobstructed loading area when in fact you may have a lot less for crates or plywood sheets.
    [​IMG]

BTW it appears you used the total trailer length in your math for the steel plate. Meaning the lunette ring and the tongue too.
    The steel plate for the bed is only as wide as the bed inside dim. so knock off about 8 inches in width as well the tongue assembly.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. Blue

Blue Monkey

That's what I was talking about though. How much travel do you have in the suspension? Will moving the wheels 4 inches closer to the top of the wheel wells cause them to rub when the trailer is loaded and hits a bump?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. HK_User

From the first Post.
    "Gonna get rid of the old Dual direction Tube type tire and rims and use Humvee Run Flats and rims."
    [​IMG]
    What do you think?
    [​IMG]

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

How IS the tractor coming along?

HK_User likes this.
  13. HK_User

All through but not finished!
    I sprained my hand on those tires since they are 6 lug and no easy balance point for the usual mounting and the fact that they are now about 200 lbs and I discovered that while I was in a bind to hit the lug bolt holes and even after 3 weeks the hand is barley improved!
    NTL since I never leave a vehicle down I can still use all the Tractor functions plus I now have those nice mudder 12 ply tires for a better front end load on the dirt.
    Had to recommission an older trailer because I needed to drag the Indian Scout down the road a bit for State Inspection. Got carried away on the Loader Mod and went past the grace period for the Bike.

Hydraulics out put plate is about all I lack and of course a dry smooth place and no rain. I'm not gonna start the Hyd stuff until I know it won't be slammed by the weather for once I break into the output the tractor is down until I finish but I have all the old parts and the new nice and clean. No chance dry time this week end so I'll finish the trailer (new tires, lights redo etc) and finish at least one job!

Thanks for asking, all I really have around here is WORK> and the Boss won't give me a raise, the cheap skate.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. Blue

Blue Monkey

That wouldn't change the problem I'm talking about. The overall diameter of the tires is where the problem may lie. Pretty sure those HMMWV tires are gonna be around the same as the original tires on that trailer. They may even be bigger.
    It's possible that it'd be fine. Just depends on suspension travel and how much clearance you have in the wheel well.

15. HK_User

OEM rims are 20 inches, Humvee is 16.5. It will be just fine.
    Goodyear Wrangler MT/R MTR 37x12.50R16.5LT Tire on 8 Hole Rim
    Or you can just run GM 8 hole 16 inch rims.
    Just takes a little imagination to work it out.
    Springs are rated at 7000lbs with overloads.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. HK_User

[​IMG]

BTPost and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

That your rig?

18. HK_User

Nah some guy down tacs way