Change shortage

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by oil pan 4, Jul 7, 2020.

1. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

they've got it here at the automated checkouts. Card only.
    saying there is a coin shortage. We had 100 bucks in coins in the jar. we had plenty for the car wash, vending machines and such.
    and it's actually less than when i was working in an office m-f as i'd be bringing home a small handful of change from lunch, gas station and maybe a convenience store everyday to drop into the jar.

It's just bullshit. our credit union has a coin star and that is been busy as ever once the banks opened their doors again for in person transactions.

I ain't going cashless.

SB21, Oddcaliber, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Good thing I still have my gun show cash box. Don't think I have touched it since late 2018. It's $200 to $250 all small bills, a tens, mostly fives, ones and rolls of coins I don't think there's very many rolls pennies maybe none. I dot even know if there were more than 1 or 2 twentys.

3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

they will never be able to stop barter.... not too hung up on the whole cash issue... cash, cards, checks are all for convenience.

Poor Man's Barter Items

HK_User, Oddcaliber, Bandit99 and 3 others like this.
  4. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

True. Unfortunately, barter is kinda clunky to use. It depends on two parties having something of fairly equal value to do a deal, or the selling party being willing to accept something they 'might' get rid of in another trade.

Example: I want to get rid of some excess chickens, but the only guy at "Bartertown" that wants them has watermelons to trade. He offers two large melons per chicken for my 5 chickens (about what a cash deal equals currently). I can't eat 10 melons before they go bad.....I would need to find something to do with say 6 of them. What do I do ?

5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@TnAndy that is why i said money is a convenience. Trades get complicated when you trade for goods and services. My point was, we can live without cash, it just wont necessarily be easy.

Barter, if you want to avoid taxes, on a small scale will work

HK_User, Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Oh I agree. I've brought home a bulldozer bartered for labor, bought a house lot I built a rental home on bartered for labor, gotten dental work done for barter, bartered my skilled labor for other skilled and unskilled labor.....all kinds of things, so yes, in the right situation, it works.

But one of the huge advantages of money (real money, not depreciating currency we common call 'money' ) is the ability to store the value of your labor for a day down the road when you need to call on that storage......like saving money for old age, for example, when you can't do the things you used to do.

Bandit99, HK_User, Oddcaliber and 2 others like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Hit Lowes this am to buy a brush
    Exact change or card only...ain't that some crap !

HK_User and Ganado like this.
  8. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

I use cash. Can't trace it and it's taken everywhere. As far as the coin shortage I see a lot of change in people's cars!

STANGF150, HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

They testing you Bro !

Oddcaliber and HK_User like this.
  10. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Walmart sign today: Debit or Credit Cards ONLY

Oddcaliber, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well walmart stopped selling a lot of stuff that was worth buying so that kind of works out.

12. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Walmart aka Great Wall of China Trading Company

Oddcaliber, Gator 45/70 and Bandit99 like this.
  13. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

sorry its my fault FB_IMG_1595456931788.

14. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

What filtration system are you using, if any?

I had some major repairs to do to the in-laws' cabin (we use it, they are no longer able). Was tired of hauling potable water, so installed a spin down pre-filter, a serious whole house filter and UV light set up. Basically took super hard water which looks like redish brown mud puddle stuff and it is now as pure as distilled.

Here is the set up if you are intererested. Good customer service as well. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LFLQTOI/?tag=survivalmonke-20

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

I just did a major water rehab at my in-laws' cabin on Lake Superior. Shallow well, lots of issues.

After a lot of research and talking to folks, I put in a pre-filter which uses centrifugal force to spin out 50 micron sediment. (May add a 100 micron one on it next yr as well). That feeds into a heavy metals whole house filter. That thing is robust. Took two men to lift it into place. Following that I ran it through a UV light. Water that is reddish-brown mud puddle like is now chrystal clear and tests free of all contaminants.

Here is the set up:

Pre-filter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072YVNRZN/?tag=survivalmonke-20

Whole house filter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LFLQTOI/?tag=survivalmonke-20

UV light was like this one, but Geekpure brand 40 watt.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2YMU3O/?tag=survivalmonke-20

Water tested, no contaminants, no biologics, and we no longer haul water to cook with.

Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Thread derailer, for sure.

VisuTrac likes this.
  17. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I see @Navyair changed the thread , so no real shortage ;)

Good on the check your change coming back to you.
    Sloth

Merkun and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

That's going to make some mighty fine H2O.
    -the water boy

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

5D88401D-9514-489F-A3A9-6F7AA717AAED.

TnAndy, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  20. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Seen this , hear
    S

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7