Cheap Dualband Kenwood TM-D710A on eBay... $300.00US

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by BTPost, Nov 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Cheap Kenwood TM-D710A Dualband Vhf/Uhf 50 Watts Radio on eBay... $300.00 US. “Buy It Now” Sale. This will not last long....

Idahoser and techsar like this.
  2. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

yep, looks good, not sure if the model is accurate (there are a couple varieties - with or without the "G" at the end) but it's a deal either way if that doesn't matter to you
    I have it's predecessor the 700 in my truck, my wife paid about that much for it about 10 years ago.
    ETA:
    Found the extra pictures, so this one is not the G version. According to the Eham reviews, there may be some repair needed (just based on the model, don't know anything about the unit for sale).
    One point about the Kenwood mobiles I discovered after I got one - Unlike Icom radios, there is no way to mount the faceplate on the front of the unit itself, they must be separated. There is a special cable to do that, looks like it comes with the radio. It might be possible to make or buy one but it's not just straight LAN or phone cord. And then of course you have to mount the body and head separately. It's not a problem, I just thought it was annoying when trying to use it as a base station.
    Still and all, if I didn't already have a mobile, I'd buy it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  3. BTPost

Actually, the Interconnect Cable is just an 8 pin Male to Male RJ45 Cable....I have 5 ea of the TM-D710A T/R Units and 3 ea. of the TM-D710A Control Heads..(2 ea T/R Unit Spares) . as well as one of the TM-D710GA T/R Units and one TM-D710GA Control Head...I have tested all these, in various combinations with a standard RJ45 Ethernet Jumper Cables varying in length from six inches, up to 20 Feet. They all worked just fine... There is ONE THING, that must be understood... You can NOT put a “GA” Control Head on an “A” T/R Unit, or an “A” Control Head on a “GA” T/R Unit... When Kenwood designed the “GA” version they Added a small PCB that swaps the connections on the Interconnect Cable, so the wrong Head can NOT cause the T/R Unit to turn ON... Also understand that the T/R Unit for the TM-71A is exactly the same as the TM-D710A T/R Unit... This means all that is required to upgrade a TM-71A to a TM-D710A is switch just the Control Heads... Kenwood sells the TM- D710A Control Head as a separate Item as an RC-710A, to make such an Upgrade. This is similar to what Kenwood did with the RC-2000 Control Head being the same as the TM-D700 Control Head, as they are interchangeable on any One of the verions of the TS- 2000 series Radios, as well as the TM- D700 Radios. I started out with a TM-D700, and then over the years upgraded most of my units to the TM- D710A Units.. I replaced the TM-700, with a TM-D710A , an gave theTM-D700 to a deserving Monkey to mount in his Land Yatch/ BOV... I just recently found a TM-D710GA T/R Unit to go with a TM-D710GA Control Head that I had purchased used a few years back, when I thought to upgrade one of my TM-D710A Units to a GA version, but then finding that it was a NO GO...

Idahoser likes this.
  4. BTPost

Well it is SOLD.... Lasted longer than I thought, but it Sold...

Idahoser and Altoidfishfins like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7