Chickens...

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by azrancher, Nov 21, 2016.

1. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

OK I didn't have enough projects to work on, so today I ordered 50 Barred Rock Chicks, 40 sexed Pullets, and 10 straight run, so I get some roosters for breeding. I currently have 2 BR hens and 1 RIR hen, and 1 RIR rooster, along with 50 Mallard ducks about half of which are males and need to be dinner.

New chicks are from Meyer Hatchery... never used them before but they have chicks available this time of year, others only start in February, I have 2 weeks to clean out the brooders that I left dirty from the last quail hatch...

These hens will be raised Free Run, Cage Free, GMO free, Organic, Fertile, humma humma and eggs sold at the Farmers Market to the snowflakes and cupcakes. No big deal on the one day a week to set up at the Market, and of course the extra eggs can be dehydrated and stored. These will be for survival when and if necessary, plan to raise patches of oats, wheat, barley, field corn, worms etc for supplemental feed, so in about 5 months I should have 3-4 dozen eggs per day...

Someone shoot me please!

Rancher

techsar, Gator 45/70, Ganado and 4 others like this.
  2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Sounds like a self inflicted wound to me...but a potentially productive one. My best wishes go to you and your enterprise. Everyone wins, except for the surplus ducks l'orange!

For those who like to discharge their fowling pieces at feathered targets....the main site is worth stalking through. Wetlands, Conservation, Waterfowl, Duck Hunting - World Leader in Wetlands Conservation - Ducks Unlimited

Here's an additional show and tell video....
    Chef John's Orange Duck Video

Ganado and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. john316

john316 Monkey+++

u dehydrate eggs at home? how

4. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

There's something here on how to do it, basically blend the eggs, put them on a fruit roll up with the corners stapled, and put them in your dehydrator chop up in a processor or coffee grinder. I have also frozen scrambled eggs, use ice cube trays, then bag them.

Rancher

Ganado, Ura-Ki and chelloveck like this.
  5. sarawolf

sarawolf Monkey+++

Very good luck. Our excess roosters went into the freezer :) and taste good.

Cruisin Sloth, Ganado and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

Geesh, I must be getting old, that just sounds like a lot of work, but I'm sure it will pay it's dividends in the end if you do your part and the chickens don't drive you crazy.

Jacob Waltz raised chickens in Phoenix before he struck it rich in the Superstitions and found that big vein of gold in rose quartz. So maybe this will work out well for you, sure hope so & best of luck in your venture.

Cruisin Sloth and Ganado like this.
  7. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Ah, this is just to be prepared, not to make money... hopefully I'll break even.

Rancher

sarawolf and chelloveck like this.
  8. john316

john316 Monkey+++

once you eat a fresh egg from a free range chicken nothing is ever the same after that...............even chicken is better

chelloveck likes this.
  1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 12, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
  3. JC Refuge
  4. Alanaana
    Media

KFC

Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
  6. Alanaana
  7. Alanaana
    This is Lavinia!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 14, 2023, 4 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
    These quail egg clippers are a game changer!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
    Media

First_eggs

I was so thrilled to find that first set of eggs!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. Alanaana
    Media

Free_range

It was a dream come true to have a free-range flock!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 2 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
  16. Yard Dart
  17. TnAndy
  18. Motomom34
  19. Yard Dart
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7