1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Chinese SKS rifles at Aim Surplus

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by stg58, Feb 7, 2014.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

Back when the Chinese SKS and AK's were flooding the market you could pick up a NIB SKS for less than $100 with stripper clips, sling, cleaning kit and often a hundred rounds of ammo...

Chinese SKS Surplus 7.62x39 Rifle

Chinese SKS Surplus 7.62x39 Rifle F3CSKS $299.95

Communist Chinese 7.62x39 caliber SKS semi-automatic Rifles. These rifles were banned from importation by the Clinton Administration in the early 1990's, however, this very small shipment of early production rifles was granted an exception for import.... until they are gone for good. These are used surplus rifles. The photos accurately depict what to expect: Packed in heavy cosmoline; Early rifles with Blade Bayonets; Chrome Lined Barrels; Although in no way are we guaranteeing, but many have matching Bolt, trigger assembly and mag. Cleaning rod is included in most rifles but NOT guaranteed.

2. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

100 dollars was a while ago my friend.
    this is actually a decent price .. well, they are chinese and pretty beat up if their type53 nagants are any indication of condition.

the albanian version are about 200 more (OMG)

I'm half tempted but it's yet another caliber to feed.
    Marck, William Antrum and Yard Dart like this.
  3. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

I have seen the Russian SKS's north of $500 as well, it may be time for me to thin the heard:)
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

What ? 91 or 93 perhaps.
    Marck, HK_User and Yard Dart like this.
  5. ditch witch

ditch witch resident bacon hoarder Site Supporter+

They're still demanding $500-600 for SKS around here.
    Marck and Moatengator like this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Your kidding ?
    I would rather have an SKS over an AK any day of the week, I tried a F.A. AK at Will Hayden's birthday bash in 011 and 012.
    They suck by the third round.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Pretty sure this is our partner Chello, Down under ?

bassic, NVBeav, kellory and 1 other person like this.
  8. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

I'm getting old. I remember buying SKS for $69 each, and Mosin Nagants @ 3 for $100!
    Oldalaskan and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. -06

-06 Monkey+++

+1 on getting older. Roses used to have them in a barrel like umbrellas. Kennedy's assassination started the price spiraling and regs followed.
  10. Darwin

Darwin Monkey

They have 54 Tula's locally here (Vancouver Island BC ) $199 with the cleaning kit, oil bottle, sling and a few strippers. Now they do have Armorers mark for re ferb but they did that when they welded plug in bottom of mag to import. Just picked one up and it is mint and Never fired. best 200 you can spend around here.
  11. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey..... Moderator Site Supporter++

Just picked up a Chinese SKS this week with 3 mags and 300 rounds for $300. Will post a pic later on. Just brought it home and tossed it in the safe before I had to explain where this poor orphan firearm came from....lol.
    VisuTrac likes this.
  12. mrkermit

mrkermit Monkey+

You can't go wrong with an SKS; they work well. They do require a bit of maintenance, however. Firing pins manage to get stuck causing slamfires, etc. Great gun to just put away with a 640rd spam can for that day. Stripper clips are OK but not necessary in the end. They don't do well in pockets and tend to fall of the clip unless you bend the ends. Lastly, these particular ones look like they've been rode hard and put away wet (and then some) thanks to the Yugoslavian-Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian conflicts of the 90s. I will say that I have a commercial Norincos from the 90s and ChiCom's are great because they have CL barrels unlike their Yugoslavian counterparts.

Best of luck with the SKS, they are one of my favorites.
    Yard Dart likes this.
  13. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey Site Supporter

The only SKS with a slam fire problem that I have been presented with was caused by cosmoline that was never cleaned from within the bolt.

One other I heard of was when a man installed his firing pin backward.

Simple to insure a safe operation is to purchase the set that is "as designed" of a firing pin and a return spring.

Very simple to install and in fact I highly suggest that any with the SKS please check your bolt and firing pin. This takes only a moment and a 16 oz or larger hammer and a strong punch. Then you can be sure what you have.

EVERY SKS I've come across had crud in the bolt/firing pin cavity.
    kellory, Yard Dart and VisuTrac like this.
  14. HK_User

Going to an auction soon that has one in it.

I'll post what it goes for.

IT is a YUGO so NO chronium lined barrel.
  15. Dogfood

Dogfood Monkey+

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with an SKS but $300 is just more than I would be willing to pay for one.
  16. Yard Dart

Here is a quick pic of the SKS I picked up the other day. Going fishing in a couple of days... I better be careful that this one does not slip out the boat... Anyways, I have to strip this down and do a thorough inspection and cleaning. I will also have to pick up some spare parts for this as well... any one have a good source for parts?
    HK_User and Dogfood like this.
  17. Dogfood

Dogfood Monkey+

Yard Dart likes this.
  18. HK_User

Spare parts needed are pretty slim. That being said I suggest a worked over trigger assemble that would include a trigger job.
  19. HK_User

The SKS went for $175.00
    ditch witch likes this.
  20. Yard Dart

noted, I will look into that. Thanks HK!!
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary