Christmas Contest- Now What?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Dec 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Christmas Contest #3- Now What?

You and your buddies were headed to a hunting camp. Helicopter goes down in Montana. Now What?

elk-helicopter-crash.

Let's brainstorm and talk this issue out. No cell service. Bulk of food is at the camp. Look at the weather, the surroundings. It maybe a while ..... use your knowledge. You have your hunting bag or BOB and rifle.

Share your thoughts, what would you this happened, Now What?..... All participants (staff included) that enter into the discussion will have their name placed in a hat and the name drawn will win a $25.00 Amazon gift card. Winner will be announced Monday December 10.

Good Luck!
    traineau5.

Seepalaces, Hanzo, chelloveck and 5 others like this.
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Does the radio in the chopper still work ? Make distress call .

3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I'd make sure the ELT is functioning and stay put .
    Put a tent over the cockpit and stay warm.
    Do a signal fire away from the helicopter using both dry and wet fuel for smoke .
    hunt from that central point .

techsar, Seepalaces, oldawg and 6 others like this.
  4. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Top of the hill is not too far away. Trek to the top, start a fire. Add the seat cushions you took from the chopper, along with any other plastic bits in the cabin...they make lots of black smoke.

5. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Follow the road to the left of the picture.....:p

6. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Assuming this will be a long term (A week or more) and assuming none of the electronics in the copter work. Strip the blaze orange off the one guy and attach it to the blades. Send 2 of the guys to scout the base of the hill for a camp site that is sheltered from the bulk of the wind but still in view of the copter. Get a basic leanto camp set up and send 2 people to the highest point of the hill with some of that blaze orange and long stick to make a very visible high up flag on a stick. Rotate everyone on four hour shifts at the top of the hill with the barry pistol (Flare gun). Keep a good smokey pine fire going 24/7 at the camp and up on the hill peak. More than enough snow to melt for water on the hill, so it would be a waste of time to search out another water source. None of those 6 fat bodies is going to starve to death before rescue, get hungry probably..... starve to death nope. If containers are available steal fuel and oil from the chopper for extra smokey signal fires.

7. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Get on the radio and broadcast a mayday on the International air distress frequency 141.5 or 245.0 for military and tell whoever answers that my chopper is stuck in a rut and needs a tow. Those two freqs should work line of site for a long way. Repeat the call regularly until answered. Stay at that as long as I can.

There's a creek at the bottom of the rise everyone is gaggling on evidenced by a little water you can see above the tail boom. That should provide water. There may be a couple of guys returning from that downhill past the left front skid.

If the pilot somehow didn't know where we were, I'd see if phone or other GPS knew where we were in relation to self rescue or optimal signalling efficiency.

Hunters can hunt and fish while we wait.
    We can build a fire from Bobs, scavenged plants that appears to be every where. We will keep that fire burning for search and rescue purposes.

We stay in the aircraft at night. Nobody should freeze to death with that much body mass squeezed in there.

Seepalaces, Ura-Ki, GrayGhost and 2 others like this.
  8. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Now what? Get on your cell phone or aircraft radio and contact the Wasatch County Sheriff. Tell him you crashed your helicopter into an elk. When he gets finished laughing, ask him if he can send help. While you're waiting, you can start butchering the elk.

Seepalaces, Dont, chelloveck and 5 others like this.
  9. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

[winkthumb]
    [winkthumb]

Fuel in the chopper would make a nice big signal fire.. but I'm not in this...

10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That sky does not look very clear, could be a storm rolling in and if that happens, help will not be coming soon. And there is no road on the left, that is a game trail.. :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

11. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Black Powder Monkey

As others have stated :
    Stay by the bird...use what materials that are at hand to make a fire and shelter.
    Check for injuries.
    Ask the others just what they know of the location and the surrounding area.
    Double check the radio in the bird....check out a map and find out just where you actually are at.
    Ask if anyone in the hunting party has the last name of Donner....:eek::D
    Andy

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  12. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Change my underwear.
    Open the beer.
    That should do it for the interim. Oh! Shoot the guy name 'Donner.' (< good idea Andy! :) )

Seepalaces, SB21, chelloveck and 3 others like this.
  13. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

bitch slap the pilot for crashing in what appears to be perfectly fine (currently) weather in a perfectly good helicopter without a working emergency locator signal.

Seepalaces, Bandit99, SB21 and 5 others like this.
  14. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

Helicopter down, now what?

Available Gear: Hunting bag, rifle and helicopter. Let’s start with the bodies.

Bodies: There are six people in the photo and one is examining the helicopters down side (bottom of picture, actually the right side of helicopter) where contact with the earth was made. The others are standing except for one (and not covered with a space blanket or visible bandages), and they are just standing around casually and near the helicopter., I will assume that there are no serious injuries. So that is 7 capable bodies, 6/5 hunting bags and 6/5 rifles, as one of the people shown is the helicopters pilot. I have variable numbers for hunting bags and rifles as we do not know if the photographer is an assistant pilot or a hunter.

Helicopter: Part of the helicopters equipment is emergency equipment. There will be a flare gun, 1st aid kit, communications equipment, fire and signal (seating materials, miscellaneous burnable materials and fuel that can be used for heat and signal. Even a aircraft that goes down due to running out of fuel will still have some fuel in the bladder/tank. The shell of the helicopter does not look damaged so the left side (top in picture) doors should still be intact and functional to close. This makes for a shelter from rain and snow and allows for warmth via consolidated body heat. If the electronics, batteries were not damaged, then communication is still good, if it was damaged, there is a possibility of restoring it, again it doesn’t look like the bird went down very hard. Probably a controlled emergency landing/setdown. During the process of controlling the emergence landing the pilot will have (should have) made his distress calls with relevant information. Again, a point of reference for the search grid.

As all the men are standing fairly close, or against in 1 case, and taking pictures in another case, to the helicopter, I will again ‘assume’ that there is no serious damage, or leaking fuel that may ignite, to the helicopter that would cause the men to move away from it. If there was an emergency situation concern, I don’t think someone would be standing taking pictures of a group that is just standing around.

Air traffic is well monitored in the US, including small aircraft and helicopters. A flight plan still has to be filed. So direction and estimate times are available in regards to the helicopter, crew and passengers. SAR is notified if the helicopter loses air traffic routes, timing and/or communications. So again a direction and estimated time is available. With just this much information a basic search grid is identified. The terrain is open, so visibility is good from a perspective of its not block by foliage or terrain. Weather would be another issue.

Hunting Bags: This is a personal choice issue here, but most and I say most, hunters are going to be setup with the clothing they need to keep warm in that environment. Just look at the picture, would you have swim shorts or a good jacket in your bag? Hat, Jacket, Gloves, Socks, Rain Gear at a minimum for each hunter, while the pilot and photographer may be a different stories. Some basic EDC items are in those bags as well, fire kit, IFAK, snacks, signalling (not a guarantee, as some do not believe signaling mirrors are useful anymore), emergency shelter (tent, tarp, space blanket), ammunition, map, compass (maybe a GPS), communications (two-way radio to keep in contact with other hunters)

Rifles: Not needed at this point in time. The bird just went down and scared everything away. Maybe start that thought process the next day.

WHAT NOW?: Try to make yourself and group as comfortable and warm as possible. If doesn’t look far in the photo, but that can be deceptive, and we can’t see behind the cameraman. Get a fire going with brush and wood that can be collected and wait near the downed helicopter. If the weather gets bad it can not only make the hunters uncomfortable, but visibility issues can slow down any SAR efforts that may be underway.

SIDENOTE: All of this is based on a picture, there are a lot of variables, including that the photographer might just be standing on the very edge of a landing pad, at an airport. The hunters may only need to walk a few hundred yards to get inside and sit down with a hot cup of coffee.

15. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Burn the Chopper with Thermite move to high ground to call in air support snipe all that come looking wait till dark eat up ruck up hump hump and hump. Good Times had by all.

16. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

The pilot has to have filed a flight plan. Wait by chopper, hunker down with BOBs, wait by chopper, set up make-shift shelter in or near chopper, smoky fire, limit activities to save calories, wait by chopper. Oh, did I mention to wait by the chopper till Search and Rescue comes by, following filed flight plan? :p

Kajun

17. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Well there goes the hunting trip,throw a temper fit. Do what ever you have to do because the wife will be mad if you are not back home when you said you would be.

Seepalaces, Bandit99, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  18. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

For my answer I'm going to flesh out the scenario, because it will make it more interesting and cut down on assumptions. I don't want this to be a book though so I won't list every piece of kit. Everyone has at least one knife, the experienced have field dressing gear. Everyone has at least a "mess kit", utensils and 2L of water.

Things to note:
    • Montana has no rifle or handgun caliber limitation or mag/round capacity restrictions for the taking of game animals (woo-hoo!).
    • In Montana, rifle scopes, including red-dot and range-finding capable are lawful for the taking of game animals.

Who - Based on the picture for this scenario there are 6 people (although for the record I don't think that bird would hold 6...just sayin'):
    • Pilot - Semi-prepared because he flies a helicopter for a living. Survival supplies, not enough to thrive on. Has a radio in his basic survival kit plus basic shelter, fire starting, survival food for 7 days. 30-06 + 50 rds.
    • Buddy 1 - First time hunter - Brand new gear, 1/4 of which won't actually work because it's crap and 3/4 of which he doesn't know how to use. Has a serviceable rifle, 300 Win Mag - 50 rounds. 3 days of "survival food" because you threatened to kill him if he didn't bring at least that much! Sleeping bag is garbage.
    • Buddy 2 - Experienced hunter with all good gear he's been using or like he's been using for 20 years. .270 Win - 100 rds. Good synthetic bag (prefers it to down), a week+ of survival/freeze-dried food, water filter and water treatment, half-dozen ways to make fire...you know the guy.
    • Buddy 3 and Buddy 4 (Husband and wife) - Burt and Heather Gummer (Broke into the wrong damned rec room DIDN'T YA!). Experienced hunters, her bag is at least as heavy as his. Down bags, 3 weeks of food between them (that can stretch), pair of shelter halves (tent between them), .300 Win, .270 Win, 30-06 - 240 rounds across all 3. HAM radio each (HT). Sat phone (broken in crash). Water filters - Him, hand-pump - Her, gravity fed. Water
    • You (Me) - Midling hunter, more of a hiking camper with a gun. 3 days of survival rations, 4 days of freeze-dried. Water filter and water treatment (2 kinds). HAM HT (5 watt).

Shared/Additional Equipment - Basically so I don't have 2+ pages for each person:
    • 2 dual-burner "coleman" stoves (propane) w/6 1-lb canisters
    • 2 MSR backpacking stoves w/4 canisters
    • 1 Biolite (thanks Buddy 1)
    • 1 Jetboil (large)
    • 1 Kelly Kettle (I have to include this or I feel like Brokor will hunt me down. :) )
    • 12 lighters (Bic, zippo, and a fireplace lighter)
    • 4 Ferro rods
    • A pound of matches (yes, usually not measured by weight but a LOT of matches)
    • 5 different fire-starting aids (char cloth, fat wood, cotton/vaseline, magnesium bar...actual magnesium, hexamine tablets)
    • 3 full 2-person tents
    • 1 pair of shelter halves
    • 3 tarps
    • 6 Ponchos
    • 6 sleeping bags - 1 crap, 4 synthetic good quality, 2 down excellent quality
    • First aid kits to include basic trauma (thanks Burt). Burt doesn't actually know know to use most of his gear though...
    • 1 metric ton of coffee grounds...because camping/hunting in the cold...duh!
    • 1 dozen tea bags (see above)
    • 6 Aldi "energy shots"...because I don't drink coffee. :D
    • Half-dozen emergency (mylar) blankets
    • 3 HAM HTs
    • 3 GMRS HTs
    • 2 solar chargers (not super useful as it's very overcast)

Area/situation:
    • 20-35 miles from your camp, through the mountains. Several days walk at least.
    • It's Winter with lows expected to be below zero, daily high (current temp) is 29 F.
    • Forecast is snow in 3 days - will last for 2 days and expect 8-10 inches of slow accumulation
    • A stream about 1/2 mile away that is running under the ice (frozen over)
    • Nobody was injured beyond bumps and bruises in the crash. No scrapes, open wounds.
    • Radio in the chopper does not work...no idea why. Not an EE and it's not working. There is power in the cockpit so the batteries are connected and have a charge, but the radio is dead.
    • HAM HT's don't have the range to reach out due to terrain
    • Burt's Sat phone broke on impact
    • No way to tell if the emergency transponder in the chopper is working...hope it is, have contingency plans if it's not.
    So...on to what I do.

Inventory gathered and with the current forecast, set up camp next to the chopper. If the transponder is working, that's where help will be directed to. If it's not, we're still not getting to camp before the storm sets in.

Assuming the Chinese don't invade in the next 2 weeks, the chopper will be missed when he doesn't return and help should be dispatched along the planned route even without a transponder going off.

Tarps enclosing either side of the chopper to use it for structure and a more windproof/weatherproof barrier. Think lean-to with the helicopter in the middle and a open a-frame on one side. There will be openings that need to be blocked so set up one or more tents with the tent opening at the lean-to openings to enclose things and provide expanded shelter and protection for equipment. FIre will go at the opening of the A-frame with a mylar blanket erected to reflect heat into the opening/"tent".

3 people set up tents/tarps, 3 people gather firewood. The first group to finish begins collecting water. Get the shelter up and running and if push comes to shove get one of the stoves running until a fire can be built to generate some additional warmth if needed...stove in the "open" and not a tent or the chopper unless doors are open on both sides of the chopper for ventilation.

If you are a hunter or camper, you know you will go through wood like mad, don't be lazy, gather as much wood as you can but you are limited because...nobody has a saw or an axe. Only squaw wood.

If there is sufficient wood, set up a signal fire and include wet/green wood. If not, build a signal fire but don't light it until you hear help approaching (helicopter or plane). Use fuel from the helicopter to quickly start the signal fire (flame away if this isn't realistic). This helicopter (in the picture, I'm being literal) is a Hughes 369 and uses Jet-A1 and should not gel until -53 F (should be good to burn). Yes, you contaminate a container

Stay hydrated and stay active enough to help generate heat but not so active you are going to burn through your food. Any of the filters should be sufficient for the needs of the group without boiling and using the fuel (fire or stove). Once the fire is burning, only use the propane or butane if absolutely needed. Boil water on the fire for food & drink (after filtered).

Rotate watching the fire overnight, don't let it go out but don't keep it roaring as everyone should be in sleeping bags (and those with insulating pads are using them).

You are on a hunting trip, hunt. No less than pairs and each person in the pair should have a radio as well as leaving one at the "camp". Don't get out of radio reception range with the camp. No hunting without a radio and without a buddy.

Alternate using the BioLite to charge your phones so you can play Angry Birds after the third day and if it is snowing enough that you shouldn't be hunting.

Assuming there is anything to kill, dress it and eat (some of) it to conserve food.

Stick close to the chopper in general. This isn't your hunting camp, it isn't a known area and if help arrives you don't want to be the reason they couldn't leave.

This likely shouldn't last more than 5 days even assuming waiting for the snow to stop. In reality, even on a weekend, help should have been dispatched the next day at the latest. Assuming you aren't off-course by a wide margin, the likelihood of rescue within 72-hours is VERY high. The emergency transponder is designed to survive a crash similar to the picture and automatically being signalling after a "hard landing". Unless the pilot was actively asleep, he should have sent out a mayday on the way down as well.

Unless the entire group are brand new to hunting, with 6 folks you should really hardly notice the lack of cabin, it's just that this is new, untried territory and you need to tread lightly so you don't miss the help when it arrives and they don't miss you.

Ura-Ki and AndyinEverson like this.
  19. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Just counting the number of people hanging around the now ex flying machine I'd just walk out of the frame of the pic , jump in the crew cab pickup and head back to the bar in the lodge and regale everyone with harrowing tales of near death experience from flying elk. Oh and as runswithdogs said, slap the pilot. His dumbazz should know elk can jump.

Bandit99, Ura-Ki and AndyinEverson like this.
  20. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

C'mon guys, ignore the fact that this picture was from an Elk tagging episode that went sideways (and was in Utah, not Montana). Yes...I cheated and looked up the call on the tail.
    :lol:

Bandit99, Motomom34, SB21 and 4 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7